Netizens criticize "Thai officials' stupidity" after they did THIS to a fire hydrant

webfact

1 minute ago, Natai Beach said:

Makes sense to install the new ones before removing the old ones if you ask me. 

Right now they are widening the east side ring-road in Udon Thani which serves as part of Highway 2 from Bangkok to Nong Khai on the Lao border. They have removed the existing street lighting ahead of maybe two months of road-widening. Have they got that "wrong" as well?

A long time ago in the UK when I was allowed to design road improvements, we would send letters to the involved gas, telephone, water, sewage and electricity departments etc asking 1: where are your conduits, pipes, etc? and 2: if, according to these plans, they need to be moved, please do so before the date of commencement. There was always a department or two that didn't answer. Imagine how much worse it must be here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cooked said:

A long time ago in the UK when I was allowed to design road improvements, we would send letters to the involved gas, telephone, water, sewage and electricity departments etc asking 1: where are your conduits, pipes, etc? and 2: if, according to these plans, they need to be moved, please do so before the date of commencement. There was always a department or two that didn't answer. Imagine how much worse it must be here.

You got that right. I supervised a seismic exploration campaign in Bangkok's western suburbs so we needed to identify all subterranean infrastructure especially water mains and drainage. It took forever to get maps from the MWA and when they were eventually delivered, they were the original hand drafted, UV light-developed, blurred blue-prints. The most recent ones were maybe ten years old but all of them lacked accurate scaling or measurements and hadn't been updated with what was on the surface... like the Highway 9 ring road!! Basically as much use a tits on a boar pig. We got the nod to go ahead but they asked us to let them know if we broke anything.

• Haha 2

As Chairman of a project called "Memorial to the Women of World War 2", we received authority from Westminister Council to install the Memorial in Whitehall.  To do so, I also had to have the authority of the "owner" of Whitehall.  No one, but no one would lay claim to this Central London thorough fare and in the end had to ask the Interior Minister to adopt the road.  Even then, when we started excavating the site there was an ENORMOUS gas mains pipe right where we wanted to place it!  So it ain't only Thailand that has highway issues!

• Confused 2

A few years ago they installed cats eyes on a section of road leading to our village. A couple of weeks after that they came and laid new tarmac on the road, covering all of the cats eyes. A few days later they had a crew in the middle of the road with metal poles, breaking the tarmac off the cats eyes.

No idea if that's standard practice but it seemed a strange way of doing it to me.

Every 'worker' here at every level just does what his boss says to do. Noone thinks for themselves. Noone asks questions.

Questions are a threat to status. Discussion can lead to disputes and thus to anger and thus to violence.

Best just to do your job exactly as the boss says ...

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Every 'worker' here at every level just does what his boss says to do. Noone thinks for themselves. Noone asks questions.

Questions are a threat to status. Discussion can lead to disputes and thus to anger and thus to violence.

Best just to do your job exactly as the boss says ...

Sad but true!

(Actually better deny I ever said this, as I already hear the apologists screaming)

• Like 1

Why did they not wait till someone had an accident and died which seems the norm here, as happened near me not so long ago, power pole was not moved when widening the road, after the accident they tied a red rag around it and weeks later moved it. L O Stupidness. ""You can trust in Thailand'' to stuff most things up.

22 hours ago, nahkit said:

A few years ago they installed cats eyes on a section of road leading to our village. A couple of weeks after that they came and laid new tarmac on the road, covering all of the cats eyes. A few days later they had a crew in the middle of the road with metal poles, breaking the tarmac off the cats eyes.

No idea if that's standard practice but it seemed a strange way of doing it to me.

Cover with white tape is the tried and approved method

On 1/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, NanLaew said:

Right now they are widening the east side ring-road in Udon Thani which serves as part of Highway 2 from Bangkok to Nong Khai on the Lao border. They have removed the existing street lighting ahead of maybe two months of road-widening. Have they got that "wrong" as well?

Strange you should mention that, because i was going to comment that, if i remember correctly, all that street lighting was replaced only last year .....now dug up and gone.