Some National Guard troops helping secure inauguration will be armed - officials

webfact

Some National Guard troops helping secure inauguration will be armed - officials

By Idrees Ali

NG.JPG

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Some of the 10,000 National Guard troops streaming into Washington D.C to help secure the area ahead of President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration will be armed, two U.S. officials said on Tuesday.

The decision by U.S. Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy comes as the FBI has warned of armed protests being planned for Washington in the run-up to the Jan. 20 inauguration.

The U.S. officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, did not say how many would be armed but noted that Guard troops helping secure the Capitol building would have weapons.

One of the officials said the troops would not be the first line of defense and would be supporting law enforcement agencies, but given the threat around the Capitol, troops needed to be equipped with their weapons for self defense.

The Army did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

On Wednesday, hundreds of supporters of President Donald Trump ransacked the Capitol building as Congress was in session to certify Biden's win, battling with police, sending lawmakers fleeing for safety and leaving five dead.

The National Guard has been authorized to send up to 15,000 troops to Washington, and tourists have been barred from visiting the Washington Monument until Jan. 24.

The chief of the National Guard Bureau, General Daniel Hokanson, told reporters on Monday that he expected about 10,000 troops in Washington by Saturday to help provide security, logistics and communications.

U.S. law enforcement agencies securing the presidential inauguration swearing-in ceremony dramatically scaled up their budgets following the Capitol riot last week.

Though the president-elect's inaugural committee does not shoulder the burden of securing the event, it also bolstered its own fundraising efforts in recent days should there be a need for more support staff, contractors, equipment or supplemental private security.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-13

• Like 1

So what will the unarmed guards be carrying ? A biro ?  A pencil ? as used to kill in John Wick films ! A mobile phone ?  A belt ?  All weapons in the hands of a trained fighter. But really, guns would be the best thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GSFISM said:

We do not need another Kent State.

I'm not wishing for that to happen again where the national guard shot unarmed students, but don't you think it's two different situations? 

Or should the national guard not be armed, but only the police etc? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Virt said:

I'm not wishing for that to happen again where the national guard shot unarmed students, but don't you think it's two different situations? 

Or should the national guard not be armed, but only the police etc? 

Like millions of other I'm tired of violence regardless of who starts it. To the point of tears. Live in Thailand but USA will always be home.. Bout to bust 70 yr old wide open and seen things take place in US I never dreamed would happen..

No..I'm not saying "no arms". I'm only saying as with Kent State our National Guard has little or no experience in crowd control..It can get ugly quick with live rounds in inexperienced hands.. Praying it does not come to that... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So what will the unarmed guards be carrying ? A biro ?  A pencil ? as used to kill in John Wick films ! A mobile phone ?  A belt ?  All weapons in the hands of a trained fighter. But really, guns would be the best thing.

Clearly never served in the Military or Law Enforcement- there are plenty of non-lethal options available. 

• Like 2

I would think that after the Capitol coup attempt that his loyal shock troops would realize that another attempt will most certainly fail since security is now high and lethal. 

But........ I have found that the way I think and the way they think(?!) are quite different.