What now? Turned down for Medical Insurance due to pre-existing conditions that are already covered by the VA FMP...

David T Pike

HELP!!! I was just told by a Pacific Cross International Business Consultant that they will not insure me due to my pre-existing conditions. All of these conditions are already covered by the US VA Foreign Medical Program and I will be primarily seeking medical Care at Bangkok Hospital. I am already registered at Bangkok Hospital with their International Patient Program and they have my VA FMP Benefits letter with all my service connected pre-existing disabilities listed which they accept and process for me. All my pre-existing disabilities are service connected and covered by the FMP. Same with RAM Hospital.

I could most likely just get the required Covid insurance that will allow me into the country but that is not what I am looking for. I want to be covered for accidental injuries, eye, dental etc plus Covid-19....

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a reputable Insurer who would cover me?

Thanks for your help... ????

• Thanks 1

Insurance companies is difficult to work with, and me for an example same company PCI, they wanted to add additional 20% on my policy because I work offshore. Even I told them, I was fully insured by my company involved travelling to and from work. Even still volountary in my homecountry social services and even pay extra tax after moving to Thailand. All documented I have free healthcare back home + privat health care insurance, and I only needed evacuation if critical  situation back to home. 

But, still had to add 20%. Find a new company, it will make it easier for you

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am currently looking but there are many shady companies and underwriters out there. I am hoping someone with a similar problem point me towards a reputable company/underwriter who will cover me for less than and arm and a leg. Maybe a few toes or fingers. Mine are already numb and tingling from diabetic neuropathy... ???? 

1 minute ago, David T Pike said:

I am currently looking but there are many shady companies and underwriters out there. I am hoping someone with a similar problem point me towards a reputable company/underwriter who will cover me for less than and arm and a leg. Maybe a few toes or fingers. Mine are already numb and tingling from diabetic neuropathy... ???? 

you do not use agent? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

Tagged,  Do can you suggest a reputable Agent?

Even you can do everything online, it is better to be close to an office where you can sign off papers and deliver documents. I have been trough a couple of online buys, and it took for ever with e-mails to get all information right and understood, and all the benefits etc, for start the whole process with a new company because of the 20% additional cost. 

So if you tell where you live in Thailand, I sure someone know an office close to you.

AA Insurers are very good and specialize in expat health insurance

www.aainsure.net

My broker there who is terrific, is Jenny   <[email protected]>

It is going to be very difficult given your pre-existing conditions especially with one of them being diabetes since that is a risk factor for so many other problems.

If it proves impossible, consider just getting a personal accident policy, better than nothing - and then put savings aside to cover any other illness that might arise that is neither accident related nor service related. At least 1 million baht if you would use only government hospitals (something to consider doing for anything uninsured and major), 3-5 million otherwise.

With accident policies be aware that the total coverage is not the medical coverage as these all include payouts for death and dismemberment. Some "1 million baht" policies cover less than 100k in medical. But if you look around can find higher. Broker can advise on this as well.

• Like 2

Why don't you apply for an insurance with moritorium cover. You don't need to give any medical details. The insurance will not cover pre existing conditions. I use a Luxembourg based company Globality who offer expat health insurance with moritorium. Note that their OPD cover is very expensive so I only have their in patient cover. They will cover pre existing conditions after two years so long as you have received no treatment or had any consultations for that condition.

Edited by pj123
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Even you can do everything online, it is better to be close to an office where you can sign off papers and deliver documents. I have been trough a couple of online buys, and it took for ever with e-mails to get all information right and understood, and all the benefits etc, for start the whole process with a new company because of the 20% additional cost. 

So if you tell where you live in Thailand, I sure someone know an office close to you.

I currently live in Baguio, Philippines. 

I am still in limbo... I have tried several brokers and no one can get me a Insurance company to cover me. Many do not even offer "moratorium" policies that do not cover pre-existing conditions. I had one that did but wanted 110k thb a year! Isn't that a bit overpriced for a policy that doesn't cover pre-existing conditions?

Can I even get into Thailand with just the Covid policy that costs 42k alone?

Sorry but I have heard I need both Covid coverage and medical coverage at the airport when I arrive... I know a decent policy covers both Covid and medical/accidental insurance. But if I can't get Medical insurance can I get into Thailand with just a Covid Policy?

Can anyone clarify that for me?     Thanks yall! ????

5 hours ago, David T Pike said:

I am still in limbo... I have tried several brokers and no one can get me a Insurance company to cover me. Many do not even offer "moratorium" policies that do not cover pre-existing conditions. I had one that did but wanted 110k thb a year! Isn't that a bit overpriced for a policy that doesn't cover pre-existing conditions?

Can I even get into Thailand with just the Covid policy that costs 42k alone?

Sorry but I have heard I need both Covid coverage and medical coverage at the airport when I arrive... I know a decent policy covers both Covid and medical/accidental insurance. But if I can't get Medical insurance can I get into Thailand with just a Covid Policy?

Can anyone clarify that for me?     Thanks yall! ????

it depends on what type of visa you will enter on.

To get an O-A visa for retirement, or a A Special Tourist Visa, you need to show proof of general health insurance that includes 40K of outpatient cover as well (a real problem) and is from one of 13 specific Thai companies or a foreign insurer who will sign a special certificate for you -- but in the latter case can only use that for the initial visa and cannot do in-country extensions with it.

You do not need this for a regular tourist visa, visa exempt entry or an O visa based on marriage to a Thai. Nor for the "elite" visa but that is costly to get.

It is nto a question of needing it at the airport - insurance requirements must be met to get the requisite visa and COE required to even get on the plane

As to whether 10k is pricey depends on your age and what kind of cover it was.  Premiums are not less when pre-existing conditions are excluded. 110k baht a year would be normal for someone aged over 70 , if you are in your 50's to early 60's then yes it is on the high side (is there a deductible option that would lower it?).  At age 68 I am paying USD 3000 a year for a policy with a USD500 deductible.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

it depends on what type of visa you will enter on.

To get an O-A visa for retirement, or a A Special Tourist Visa, you need to show proof of general health insurance that includes 40K of outpatient cover as well (a real problem) and is from one of 13 specific Thai companies or a foreign insurer who will sign a special certificate for you -- but in the latter case can only use that for the initial visa and cannot do in-country extensions with it.

You do not need this for a regular tourist visa, visa exempt entry or an O visa based on marriage to a Thai. Nor for the "elite" visa but that is costly to get.

It is nto a question of needing it at the airport - insurance requirements must be met to get the requisite visa and COE required to even get on the plane

As to whether 10k is pricey depends on your age and what kind of cover it was.  Premiums are not less when pre-existing conditions are excluded. 110k baht a year would be normal for someone aged over 70 , if you are in your 50's to early 60's then yes it is on the high side (is there a deductible option that would lower it?).  At age 68 I am paying USD 3000 a year for a policy with a USD500 deductible.

Luckily I am 64, just below the huge price hike. I will be coming on tourist visa and then switch to a marriage based Visa. I will still have to have the Covid insurance right? Or can I apply for the marraige based visa at the embassy in Manila before I go?

1 minute ago, David T Pike said:

Luckily I am 64, just below the huge price hike. I will be coming on tourist visa and then switch to a marriage based Visa. I will still have to have the Covid insurance right? Or can I apply for the marraige based visa at the embassy in Manila before I go?

OH! My wife just told me I must get the tourist visa first because I must be in Thailand to open a bank account for the 400k thb visa requirement. Unfortunately my wife does not have a bank account... ????

47 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

If you are married to a Thai you can apply for an "O" visa in Mamila. It will allow 90 day entry and you can then do a 1 year extemsion of stay. Financial requirements apply (400k baht in the bank ir proof of at least 40k a month income).

You will need only the COVID insurance at entry (valid for 90 days).  Yoi would also need it for a tourist visa.

No advantage that I can see to coming in on TR and changing visa type to O when you can get O to begin with.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you are married to a Thai you can apply for an "O" visa in Mamila. It will allow 90 day entry and you can then do a 1 year extemsion of stay. Financial requirements apply (400k baht in the bank ir proof of at least 40k a month income).

You will need only the COVID insurance at entry (valid for 90 days).  Yoi would also need it for a tourist visa.

No advantage that I can see to coming in on TR and changing visa type to O when you can get O to begin with.

That's my plan. Sorry for my (actually my wife's ????) confusion... ????