Motor Mechanic

merlen10002

On 1/15/2021 at 5:08 AM, DrJack54 said:

Hope I can ask same question. However located Pra Ram 9. Oil leak in honda civic 2003 low kms. Is this a common thing with civic. Do people find mechanic by word of mouth or ?

Oil leaks scare me. Thanks for any advice.

How bad is it leaking. how long has it been leaking and and where is it coming from? Oil leaks can be a minor problem or a major issue, better to figure out what you might be looking at before you take it to a shop.

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How bad is it leaking. how long has it been leaking and and where is it coming from? Oil leaks can be a minor problem or a major issue, better to figure out what you might be looking at before you take it to a shop.

Thanks again for your input. I know very little about mechanical stuff. However on this occasion I might give myself pat on back. The fluid was clear(ish) and I was guessing perhaps steering fluid. Anyway the car has just been returned from shop just this evening. All the replaced parts were in plastic bag and break down of price. The total bill was 2300baht. Amounted to 700b labour the rest being parts with receipts.

If anyone in Pra Ram 9 area needs a mechanic can PM me if want. 

16109837206297520660102484438809.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

On 1/15/2021 at 5:08 AM, DrJack54 said:

Hope I can ask same question. However located Pra Ram 9. Oil leak in honda civic 2003 low kms. Is this a common thing with civic. Do people find mechanic by word of mouth or ?

Oil leaks scare me. Thanks for any advice.

If it's this gasket, an easy thing to do alone.

30 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

If it's this gasket, an easy thing to do alone.

Think I disagree.

Anyway my civic issue was power steering.

Having said that the vid I posted is quality advice.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks again for your input. I know very little about mechanical stuff. However on this occasion I might give myself pat on back. The fluid was clear(ish) and I was guessing perhaps steering fluid. Anyway the car has just been returned from shop just this evening. All the replaced parts were in plastic bag and break down of price. The total bill was 2300baht. Amounted to 700b labour the rest being parts with receipts.

If anyone in Pra Ram 9 area needs a mechanic can PM me if want. 

16109837206297520660102484438809.jpg

Edited 2 hours ago by DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Think I disagree.

Anyway my civic issue was power steering.

Having said that the vid I posted is quality advice.

The gaskets in the picture are valve cover gaskets. It would take less than an hour to change them so 2300bt would be excessive. Were any other parts changed?

On 1/19/2021 at 12:56 AM, stubuzz said:

The gaskets in the picture are valve cover gaskets. It would take less than an hour to change them so 2300bt would be excessive. Were any other parts changed?

Thanks for that. Clearly you know your way around motors. I have no doubt I was overcharged however it can be relative. The picked up the car and returned it. 

Just coincidence but the 2350baht currently is $100aud. So I'm happy with the result albeit could most likely have had it done more cheaply. Here is his bill. 

I can't work out the 1000b item but no big deal. Ta.

16111082470863438189958036825514.jpg

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I can't work out the 1000b item but no big deal. Ta.

ยางเบ้าหัวเทียน

The rubber rings which we can see on your previous picture

https://shopee.co.th/ยางรองเบ้าหัวเทียน-CIVIC-96-แท้ห้างHD-(12342-P08-004)-i.240745978.3739928796

4*168 = 672 (+shipping)

I would say they charged you a bit over the top for them, but wouldn't call it a ripoff yet ????

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Shops make money on the parts they sell, the also (generally) do not shop around trying to find the cheapest possible parts, they usually have a few suppliers that they work with that actually inventory parts and deliver them quickly. The suppliers also have to make money.

It look like OEM parts were used as well, not sure what in on Shopee...

In any event, I would be much more concerned about the quality of the work than a few dollars one way or the other...

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 1:05 PM, Yellowtail said:

In any event, I would be much more concerned about the quality of the work than a few dollars one way or the other...

I can second that! 

Now the car has a big leak. Just arrived home and after an hour thought I would go check.

Pool of red (ish) oil. I'm guessing steering fluid. So back to Mr motor mechanic.

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:58 AM, merlen10002 said:

Yes very stupid, sorry, I am in Pattaya, 

I used to go to this place - I think its called United Auto. Its on the left just before North Pattaya Road going out towards the Bangkok hospital.  The guy I knew was called JR - he spent some time woring in the US so his English is quite good. I didn't have much done but he seemed to know what he was doing. I'm not sure but I think his phone number is 08 7129 2427.

JR 1.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can the motor guys give a stab at what this should cost. 

Replace power steering on 2003 honda civic.

Obviously including parts. We can have nearest the pin. Of course as usual I always get ripped.

Screenshot_20210124-215509.png

You should be able to price the parts out just calling Honda

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Can the motor guys give a stab at what this should cost. 

Replace power steering on 2003 honda civic.

Obviously including parts. We can have nearest the pin. Of course as usual I always get ripped.

Screenshot_20210124-215509.png

Sorry, but you really want a random guy to change a random part ?!

to save what ? 3000 thb ? this is the price of your life ? you people are so weird...

6 hours ago, sncoem said:

Sorry, but you really want a random guy to change a random part ?!

to save what ? 3000 thb ? this is the price of your life ? you people are so weird...

You misunderstand. I have had the car repaired and was wondering what you would expect to be charged. I have already paid the mechanic.

• Haha 1

At my wit's end and hoping for some help.

So car I have mentioned earlier 2003 honda civic had an oil leak. I have very little knowledge of mechanics. It fluid had a reddish tinge. My guess was steering fluid.

The mechanic replaced value cover gasket etc. Leak continued. He then replaced the steering rack. Car still has a leak. He states that it's from old leak. Rubbish. 

I know the advice will be to cut loss and take car to another mechanic. So can anyone suggest a mechanic in Phra Ram 9 or close ISH. Any advice greatly appreciated.

BTW the current drops are viscous however almost clear in colour.

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

At my wit's end and hoping for some help.

So car I have mentioned earlier 2003 honda civic had an oil leak. I have very little knowledge of mechanics. It fluid had a reddish tinge. My guess was steering fluid.

The mechanic replaced value cover gasket etc. Leak continued. He then replaced the steering rack. Car still has a leak. He states that it's from old leak. Rubbish. 

I know the advice will be to cut loss and take car to another mechanic. So can anyone suggest a mechanic in Phra Ram 9 or close ISH. Any advice greatly appreciated.

BTW the current drops are viscous however almost clear in colour.

This was my response to you a week ago: "How bad is it leaking. how long has it been leaking and and where is it coming from? Oil leaks can be a minor problem or a major issue, better to figure out what you might be looking at before you take it to a shop."

Today's response is the same. You need to figure out where the leak is coming from. If it's clear, it could be water, brake fluid or even clutch fluid. 

Is it manual or automatic transmission? Pink fluid could be power steering fluid, transmission fluid or even coolant. 

Black or amber would typically be oil, but a lot of the new oils are pretty clear. 

1. Check and top-up all your fluid levels, make note of what was low. Also, make sure you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for for both the checking procedure as well as what fluids to use. 

2. Scrub-up up your parking spot. If you have a lot of oil, use some oil-dry/kitty-litter and grind it in.

3. Get the engine and undercarriage cleaned, and tell them NOT to spray or wipe it down with the shiny stuff.

4. Every time you before you move the car, check the parking area for drips, and note where they come from.

5. Check under the hood and the undercarriage for oil spots & drips

6. Check your fluid levels to determine which one is losing fluid.

While fluid leaks are annoying, they are generally not a big deal safety wise or in regard to the operation of the vehicle, so there is not need to panic. If it's leaking, it has to be coming from somewhere, and wherever it is coming from should be getting low on fluids, assuming it has not been overfilled. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

This was my response to you a week ago: "How bad is it leaking. how long has it been leaking and and where is it coming from? Oil leaks can be a minor problem or a major issue, better to figure out what you might be looking at before you take it to a shop."

Today's response is the same. You need to figure out where the leak is coming from. If it's clear, it could be water, brake fluid or even clutch fluid. 

Is it manual or automatic transmission? Pink fluid could be power steering fluid, transmission fluid or even coolant. 

Black or amber would typically be oil, but a lot of the new oils are pretty clear. 

1. Check and top-up all your fluid levels, make note of what was low. Also, make sure you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for for both the checking procedure as well as what fluids to use. 

2. Scrub-up up your parking spot. If you have a lot of oil, use some oil-dry/kitty-litter and grind it in.

3. Get the engine and undercarriage cleaned, and tell them NOT to spray or wipe it down with the shiny stuff.

4. Every time you before you move the car, check the parking area for drips, and note where they come from.

5. Check under the hood and the undercarriage for oil spots & drips

6. Check your fluid levels to determine which one is losing fluid.

While fluid leaks are annoying, they are generally not a big deal safety wise or in regard to the operation of the vehicle, so there is not need to panic. If it's leaking, it has to be coming from somewhere, and wherever it is coming from should be getting low on fluids, assuming it has not been overfilled. 

Thankyou again for your advice. I might be getting a bit trigger happy and posting too quickly. After my "wit's end" post I returned to where car is parked to clean area where I had stopped and reversed into parking bay. It seemed that drops were gone. Moved car forward and the fluid was clear. Air-conditioning? Water? Under car pic you can see if look carefully what appears a droplet.

I could see fluid drip every 30 seconds or so.

IMG_20210131_131403.jpg

Screenshot_20210131-132209.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thankyou again for your advice. I might be getting a bit trigger happy and posting too quickly. After my "wit's end" post I returned to where car is parked to clean area where I had stopped and reversed into parking bay. It seemed that drops were gone. Moved car forward and the fluid was clear. Air-conditioning? Water? Under car pic you can see if look carefully what appears a droplet.

I could see fluid drip every 30 seconds or so.

IMG_20210131_131403.jpg

Screenshot_20210131-132209.png

Looks like A/C condensate to me...   unless your cooling system is filled with plain water (in which case it could be coolant).