Need reco for car dashcam which has good motion sensor

Hello ladies and gentlemen, as the title, can pls reco some good quality ones. 

My focus is on the parking surveillance and would like to record only when there's a motion. Not gravity sensor. 

I have previously used the 600thb dash cam with power bank for night parking but vdo quality and function is sh it. 

Im assuming it's better to get power from car battery for parking surveillance, anyone with experience enlighten me with cost and any problems and recommendations such as battery drainage, not being able to capture cause video is only caputing front of the car etc... 

Cheerios

• Confused 1

just get 4 * no longer needed Samsung phones (or as many as you want actually)

get a decently high capacity powerbank with multi-usb power outlets

get some 3M + long usb charge cables (for how many phones)

Only need 1 sim just for the Master phone

Download and Install Alfred onto all the phones 

Set all phones to WiFi - but make the master phone use it's Portable HotSpot.

Slave the other phones to the Master's Hotspot 

Set up Alfred and link all units via a common gmail account that I for example dedicate just to Alfred use

Alfred (Free) provides

- 7 days cloud storage

- night vision

- zoom capability 

- Remote to any other phone/computer worldwide, that also has Alfred, and the dedicated gmail account registered.

- Motion Detection, Auto record and Notification back to the Master phone

- as many Camera phones as you want

- as many Viewer phones as you want

more...

- Night vision can be remotely selected/deselected/auto

- remote selection of the 'camera' phones led floodlight

- remote 2 way (ptt) audio back to the camera

- remote triggering Alarm bells to scare someone away

all the above in Free package; the Premier version:

- 29US annual subscription

- 1 month cloud stoarge

- HiDef vision capability (up to the camera phones limits) 

-  HiDef Zoom  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Yes, i use the 70Mai dash cam, excellent resolution and also has ADAS ( lane departure warning etc ), I must confess I don’t use the parking surveillance mode ( I believe it needs a hard wiring kit ) but it is available. I paid around 1,800 baht from Lazada ( gps version ), probably cheaper now.

There is a newer version ( A800 ) which is improved and comes with a rear cam also for around 3,600 baht.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

I use the Xiaomi 70mai A800 (mentioned by Andrew in the post above).

It’s reasonable - it has a forward and rear facing cam.

It has a 30min parking mode from its internal battery. 

If hard wired the parking mode will last longer, but it must be hard wired to an 'always on’ circuit via a ‘power magic’ device which automatically switches power off to the dash-cam should it measure the main car battery power drain (below a predetermined setting) i.e. if you away for a week the cam will not drain the car battery. 

I wouldn’t use a regular Power Bank in my car for obvious reasons (potential overheating and combustion when parked in the day time). 

Note: the dashcam's with forward and rear facing cameras still do not offer 360 recording... 

Xiaomi A800 is 140 deg forward / 120 deg (I think) - rear field of vision. 

anyways, he is searching for a means of video surveillance whilst Parked, and the motion detection for while parked, not his own vehicle in motion

something set and forget while he's not in car, not driving...

8 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Does anyone know, do u need internet connection to record? 

I have Googled numerous site, but not really clear on this topics. 

IT says need to download their app and register, and ppl complaining about not being able to connect etc... 

It has an internal wifi that you use to connect to the app and you can download the video files to your phone.

It also records video in 3 minutes steps to a. Micro SD card as most other dash cams do.

I bought a micro sd usb to lightening adapter as in an accident situation probably easier to pop out the sd card , put it into the adapter and connect to my iPhone to view the video and send to others if necessary.

I was unsure about the app also as i had read the bad reviews but they were mainly old reviews about not being able to connect to an older version of IOS, it all worked easily for me.

Here is a short example of the resolution in the Xiaomi 70 Mai dash cam as in your Shopee link, the A800 which Richard quotes above is higher res I believe .

Here you can clearly see my 3 brothers in law , aka The Marx brothers , trapping the hand of one in the rear hatch !! ( apologies for the laughter on the video ...... not !! ).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tifino said:

anyways, he is searching for a means of video surveillance whilst Parked, and the motion detection for while parked, not his own vehicle in motion

something set and forget while he's not in car, not driving...

Most decent dash-cams have a parking mode. 

Hard wiring the dash-cam with a fuse-tap to an always on circuit (in your cars fuse box) is simple enough.

Ensure a ‘batter saver device’ (aka power magic) is used to prevent car battery drain. 

Surveillance will be limited to the field of vision of your dash-cam. 

Supermarket door dinks and knocks to the side of the car will not be picked up.

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It also records video in 3 minutes steps to a. Micro SD card as most other dash cams do.

Does is save onto msd as wmv, avi, mpeg format? 

Cus xiaomi 1080p home surveillance ip camera saves as special format only viewable by their app by internet connection. 

On the other note, xiaomi, huawei, ZTE (wifi router) Chinese brand is penetrating the market fast. I'm a wee bit concerned Are they gonna collect our data and make us slaves???

6 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

On the other note, xiaomi, huawei, ZTE (wifi router) Chinese brand is penetrating the market fast. I'm a wee bit concerned Are they gonna collect our data and make us slaves???

You can buy special hats made from tin foil to protect your dash-cam from collecting all your personal data for the benefit of a foreign government..... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Does is save onto msd as wmv, avi, mpeg format? 

Cus xiaomi 1080p home surveillance ip camera saves as special format only viewable by their app by internet connection. 

Not sure of the format, I can pop out the msd card and put it into my laptop to check if you like. ?

I do know that snapshots and videos can be viewed on my iPhone via the app or directly from the msd card ( using an adapter ).

Also snapshots and videos can be viewed on my Windows laptop via the msd card.

On both the above options no reformat was necessary for viewing the files, I checked both options shortly after buying the dash cam but have since deleted the files from laptop.

No idea on your other question..

One thing that I didn’t like on the Xiaomi 70Mai  Pro camera that I own is this:

I bought the gps module along with the unit and although the speed and location ( longitude and latitude) appear on video viewed through the app I cannot view that information on videos saved to phone or laptop. ( a small issue I admit but maybe could be important in the case of an insurance claim ).

Apparently this is a common complaint amongst 70Mai owners  and although someone on a 70Mai blog offered a convoluted workaround I could never get it to function.

The result is I can view videos with speed and location only via the app and when I save to photos that information disappears but at least I do have the video saved.

I suspect on the newer A800 model this issue  does not apply as the gps is now built in and not a separate module., @richard_smith237 ??

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

One thing that I didn’t like on the Xiaomi 70Mai  Pro camera that I own is this:

I bought the gps module along with the unit and although the speed and location ( longitude and latitude) appear on video viewed through the app I cannot view that information on videos saved to phone or laptop. ( a small issue I admit but maybe could be important in the case of an insurance claim

Have you checked there is a special free player for your cam that will show the the extra information?  

I can view the files from my DOD cam on the computer, no problem, but if I want all the addition information can only be viewed with their player.

12 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Have you checked there is a special free player for your cam that will show the the extra information?  

I can view the files from my DOD cam on the computer, no problem, but if I want all the addition information can only be viewed with their player.

I am assuming the player is built into the app, so I can view the videos on the app with all the additional info:

screenshot:

85462C5C-EE28-483D-9000-62DB1DCC12C8.jpeg.04db87fd94162023571adb63f25c2e59.jpeg

But transferring video outside the app removes the additional info 

screenshot:

2E842F66-3FCA-4ADE-95CC-EDE1335F5D18.jpeg.7d426786e8617d856f8bb972dc7793a3.jpeg

Not really an issue but I was surprised to see that happen.

Wondering if the updated version ( A800 ) has resolved this but don’t want to pay 3,600 baht to find out ????

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Lite version for 1300thb, but the quality is <deleted>!

Also I cant hear the sound even though i turn the mic on.

Also i use the 16gb micro sd card, but the yesterdays data is all gone even though the memory isnt maxed. (Have the morning till now data)

Also whats up with HD they adverticed??? Video pixel is at 1920 but cant even read the number plant infront of the car. 

What's goining on??? 

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH YOU XIAO MI.

IM NOT GONNA BUY YOUR <deleted> ANYMORE

image.thumb.png.79beb695fe4e263cde4215deac97c5a6.png