Extension based on retirement - income verification for UK folks and does it need to come into a Thai bank ?

On 1/13/2021 at 7:16 AM, timendres said:

The 65,000 baht must come into a Thai bank account each month. Some have reported issues if the deposits are not distinctly in each month (in other words, if your June deposit arrives on July 1st), but I think this depends very much on the office you are dealing with. Also, they will want to see that the deposit came from outside Thailand, which was a problem for some using TransferWise, which shows an internal transfer within Thailand for some banks.

I had endless problems with the income method ( non O marriage extension) at my local IO, necessary to use them  for marriage extension, not for retirement extension. Very clear in the end this IO wanted to see 40k baht "pension" coming in every month in a single transfer from outside Thailand and evidence of the origin of the funds....or 400 k in Thai bank seasoned for 3 months. I could do neither to their satisfaction...so I left. I got in to this mess because I had a Savannakhet non O visa  multiple entry which ran out, as did the 60 day extension after borders closed. I was only transferring the irregularly sufficient to live on which sometimes was more sometimes less in a month than 40k. I didn't have 400k to transfer either, nor the "balls of steel" to hope for repeated, as happened and is still happening I think each time with dire warnings that it was the last, Covid amnesty extensions and anyway didn't want to stay on any longer. But now to return is also a huge challenge in these Covid times.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:54 AM, SGD said:

If I go jump through the hoops and get a non imm O visa then I'm good for the first year due to proof of funds back in the UK when applying.

But when I want an extension based on 65k a month, do I actually have to prove where that 65k comes from ? If so, how ? as I own business and am not an employee.

Furthermore, do you have to have this 65k coming in every month ? I tend to just transfer £10k when I feel like it.

I don't like complicated hoops to jump through when there may be a simple way around it and yes, I know about parking 800k in the bank.

As a UK, US or Australian citizen you cannot make use of the Embassy issued income-letter method to meet the financial requirements for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa application or a 1-year extension application of such Visa.

The practical consequence of the above is that for those nationalities when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa after having arrived Visa Exempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa, is that they can only use the Funds-in-Bank method.

In theory and according to IO rules/regulations they should also be able to make use of the monthly income transfer method.  Previously 2 or 3 months of such transfers were sufficient when applying for the Non Imm O Visa.  However, there have been several cases of applicants wanting to apply using that method, where their local IO insisted on 12 months of such transfers in order to be eligible for use of that method.  Obviously when having just arrived in Thailand, that is an impossible requirement.  So in practice the Funds-in-Bank method is the only method that will guarantee you will be able to meet the financial requirements for a first time application.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

As a UK, US or Australian citizen you cannot make use of the Embassy issued income-letter method to meet the financial requirements for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa application or a 1-year extension application of such Visa.

You need to go back read the post on the 1st page he is getting a OA visa not a non-o visa.

If he opened a bank account here and started transfering at least 65k baht a month from abroad he could show transfers for 12 months that will be accepted to apply for a extension of stay.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:16 PM, timendres said:

The 65,000 baht must come into a Thai bank account each month. Some have reported issues if the deposits are not distinctly in each month (in other words, if your June deposit arrives on July 1st), but I think this depends very much on the office you are dealing with. Also, they will want to see that the deposit came from outside Thailand, which was a problem for some using TransferWise, which shows an internal transfer within Thailand for some banks.

They want 65,000 a month and also around the same date give or take a day.

8 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

My mate a Swiss national tells me the Swiss embassy will still supply pension income verification letters for Thai Immigration but he has to contact his pension provider in Switzerland each year and get them to send verification to the Swiss embassy in Bangkok. He then has to visit the Swiss embassy and collect the verification.

Switzerland isn't a member state of the EU and bound by EU or UK Data Protection laws.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

the USD100k COVID policy is required for al entries into Thailand regardless of visa type

I'm aware of that thanks Sheryl.

The reason I mentioned the Covid Insurance in particular is that if entering on an O-A it must cover the period of stay (12 months), which is the point I was trying to emphasise.

A 90 day Non O then extension may be a better alternative.

Archived