Trash burner ?

Tagged

Our village do not collect trash, so I need to build an trash burner. Anyone have pics or ideas? 

I know tabu, but thats how it is here. Everyone burn their trash, or they dump it somewhere else around their neighbourhood. I just do not want to put fire to the national park or the fields around me, even the locals fine manage that on their own. 

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

Time to move into civilization and stop playing "me Tarzan you Jane"...we have trash pickup in the civilized world...and running water too

Better move back home then? 

What do you think they do to all the garbage? Landfillings? Or burn it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Better move back home then? 

What do you think they do to all the garbage? Landfillings? Or burn it? 

Landfills are a problem...but currently Thailand and SE Asia have a serious air quality issue...if you and your cohorts continue to burn....the air will be like Delhi , India...where you can't see a meter in front of your face on bad days.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry, but burning trash is a horrible idea.  It just makes our air worse. 

There are alternatives.  They cost more and take more time, but in the end, they are much better for our plant and those of us who live here.

Don't contribute to our air quality problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Then, I can tell you one thing, or first ask you, what do you think thos you pay to take away your garbage do to it? Anyone know where their garbage goes after it is taken away from you by the village serice or someone you pay for it. Just be realistic for a second please. 

And as said we try to minimize our footprint, planted over 200 trees, and trust I do not like it as well, and I understand your concerns, but,,,,,,,,,,, just give me a break and open your eyes, 

It's taken to a landfill.  I've been there.  Several are here around Pattaya.  A bit one near the Sports Stadium.  They for sure don't burn it.  Guaranteed.

I've got a friend who lives on the 20th floor.  From his balcony, we can see many fires burning across the area.  And the air quality is 100% impacted.  You can see the smoke lay low across the area, infecting all of us.

Don't do it!  Plus, it's illegal.  Look it up.  Someone could turn you in and make money off it.

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Why not dump at night?!  CIP At the start of my condo drive, kinda brushy. People pull off the main road and dump. It is not condo land, over 150 meters away from buildings so no one sees & management does nothing.

Popular, cost effective, a long term 'composting' solution, more importantly no burning so no air pollution. You too, can be an environmentalist. :thumbsup:

You should turn these people in.  Seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Yep, and the landfills infest the groundwater. Just passed one landfill on Koh Larn, and the slope canyon ending down to one of the nicest beaches they have. Very long term well thought out. 

The idea of having a proper burner, you manage to burn it propely with high enough heat, and then minimize the impact, but it is a far shot when you do not live in the country side, and see for your self. We are surrounded of rice fields, and guess what? They burn everything they can burn, but as said minimizing our foot print as much we can. And we do not have anything elses to do. It is considering evil against evil. 

Agreed!  No easy answers, but burning is illegal.  Though many still do it.  A few try near us, we just call the police and they show up and it's put out.  Luckily, a few have never tried again.

Pattaya does have an incinerator. Which burns more efficiently than open fires.  But, it's only working at 50% of capacity.  And yes, the trash is piling up.

I hear what you are saying, but it's illegal.  In the end, we're doing a terrible job here of managing trash and the environment.  Terrible.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed!  No easy answers, but burning is illegal.  Though many still do it.  A few try near us, we just call the police and they show up and it's put out.  Luckily, a few have never tried again.

Pattaya does have an incinerator. Which burns more efficiently than open fires.  But, it's only working at 50% of capacity.  And yes, the trash is piling up.

I hear what you are saying, but it's illegal.  In the end, we're doing a terrible job here of managing trash and the environment.  Terrible.

And I forgot to mention that landfills just postphone the problems, and by time the landfills release more clima gasses than burning. The land gets useless to use later on as well. We know now what we created back in the 70íes back home where big landfills have been used as land to build houses on. 

the landfill, the food and yard waste that trash contains is decomposing and releasing methane, a greenhouse gas that's 28 times more potent than carbon dioxide. ... Landfill gas also contributes to smog, worsening health problems like asthma"

read more here

https://ensia.com/features/methane-landfills/

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Why not dump at night?!  CIP At the start of my condo drive, kinda brushy. People pull off the main road and dump. It is not condo land, over 150 meters away from buildings so no one sees & management does nothing.

Popular, cost effective, a long term 'composting' solution, more importantly no burning so no air pollution. You too, can be an environmentalist. :thumbsup:

Good for bio diversity too. The garbage will attract rats and the rats will then attract snakes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You need an old steel barrel, an electric drill and the interweb. 

Yes, I have looked at those, but they just last for a year or two, so looking at building a stone oven with a long enough pipe to make sure you get enough heat to burn it propely. 

19 hours ago, Tagged said:

Our village do not collect trash, so I need to build an trash burner. Anyone have pics or ideas? 

I know tabu, but thats how it is here. Everyone burn their trash, or they dump it somewhere else around their neighbourhood. I just do not want to put fire to the national park or the fields around me, even the locals fine manage that on their own. 

I understand, I spent years in such a place. Go on the pub section and theres Life In Issan thread. Owl sees all has posted several pics of his trash burner. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, itsari said:

95 percent of household  rubbish can be recycled . Plastic bags and  plastic wrappings is all you should be left with . That can be stored in bags until you can dispose of it without burning . 

Glass , steel , plastic bottles and  cardboard can be recycled with a reward . Waste food  can be turned into compost . Quite easy to do . 

When I lived in Issan, we had a recycler who came around and collected pretty much everything except organic and plastic and paid us for it. I started a compost pile in the back yard - the neighbours couldn't believe it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Yes, I have looked at those, but they just last for a year or two, so looking at building a stone oven with a long enough pipe to make sure you get enough heat to burn it propely. 

I don't have one but a hot burn (lots of air) is essential. Hotter = less smoke. If you want to be really slick you could have forced air (fan)

https://burnwellincinerators.co.uk/burnwell-micro-incinerator/

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

When I lived in Issan, we had a recycler who came around and collected pretty much everything except organic and plastic and paid us for it. I started a compost pile in the back yard - the neighbours couldn't believe it.

A lot of ignorance in what people all over the world throw in there rubbish bin . Just a little thought and there could be a lot of money saved and the world would be a greener place .

• Like 1

Didn't read the replies, but I dont have trash service either. I have a motorbike with a sidecar that I use to take the trash out (about a kilometer, one way) to the nearest set of blue trash bins. I do this because it repulses me when people burn trash. 

If you really want to build a trash burner though, then take 2 concrete rings (same as used for local septic tanks) and knock windows out of the bottom ring for airflow, then put the second ring on top. 

Its what they all do round these parts. 

Or a steel drum with holes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Time to move into civilization

I'm not sure about that - - I am close enough to civilization that a short drive brings the advantages, but my property is secluded enough that there is pretty much total privacy, no noisy neighbors, the air a bit cleaner, and a paradise for birds... I like to watch the birds and listen to their chatter... lots of greenery and a parklike setting bring a welcome connection to nature that is very peaceful and charming... yes, there are disadvantages too, but this suits me.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I'm not sure about that - - I am close enough to civilization that a short drive brings the advantages, but my property is secluded enough that there is pretty much total privacy, no noisy neighbors, the air a bit cleaner, and a paradise for birds... I like to watch the birds and listen to their chatter... lots of greenery and a parklike setting bring a welcome connection to nature that is very peaceful and charming... yes, there are disadvantages too, but this suits me.. 

Do you have trash pick up ? I live on a semi rural road...but 3 kilometers away is busy highway...and huge Mall complex and markets galore...but yeah birds galore and peaceful...when I first moved here it felt the end of earth compared to Bangkok...but we do have trash pickup and city water too ! My point was if you are living in a village that doesn't see fit to provide trash pickup...then that village is dooming it's residents to a non civilized way of life...with increased chance of disease and pestilence....not worth it.

40 minutes ago, Tagged said:

And I forgot to mention that landfills just postphone the problems, and by time the landfills release more clima gasses than burning. The land gets useless to use later on as well. We know now what we created back in the 70íes back home where big landfills have been used as land to build houses on. 

the landfill, the food and yard waste that trash contains is decomposing and releasing methane, a greenhouse gas that's 28 times more potent than carbon dioxide. ... Landfill gas also contributes to smog, worsening health problems like asthma"

read more here

https://ensia.com/features/methane-landfills/

100% agreed!  Just saying burning is illegal and can get you/others in trouble.  All it takes is for one person to report you.  It happens....

16 minutes ago, tonray said:

Do you have trash pick up ? I live on a semi rural road...but 3 kilometers away is busy highway...and huge Mall complex and markets galore...but yeah birds galore and peaceful...when I first moved here it felt the end of earth compared to Bangkok...but we do have trash pickup and city water too ! My point was if you are living in a village that doesn't see fit to provide trash pickup...then that village is dooming it's residents to a non civilized way of life...with increased chance of disease and pestilence....not worth it.

Yes. There is trash pick-up out here... I don't personally deal w/any of it... glad you have such peace near Bkk...