Where is the post number in a thread?

ravip

Just now, Jai Dee said:

Try posting a photo again... it should be working OK now.

shit_happens.png

Your right that seems to have been resurrected at some point today - still waiting for top of screen - and the old edit that could be seen was also much better IMHO.????  But not having post numbers is a real PIA when referring people to old content.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

still waiting for top of screen

@Tech Doctor has been asked if it's possible to reinstall this addin.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

and the old edit that could be seen was also much better IMHO.

Agreed on a personal note, but the core Invision software has changed, so to edit your post you now have to click on the three little dots at the top right of your post and select Edit.

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But not having post numbers is a real PIA when referring people to old content.

Also agreed, and that is why this topic needs technical input from Support. @Tech Doctor

8 minutes ago, sungod said:

I used to click on a topic and it automatically took me to the next unread post, now it starts at the beginning again.

If you click on the large dot next to the topic title it will take you to the next unread post.

If you click on the topic title it will take you to the first post.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 155426.png

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dave s said:

The left hand column contains the name of the poster of a response. Next to that, in the main central column, is a phrase like "Posted 123 minutes ago". This is not underlined, but it is a link. Right click on it and select "Copy link location" in the menu. Your clipboard will contain the URL of the discussion, with a "findComment" in the question mark section that goes right to the response that you clicked on. (Each response apparently has its own globally unique integer.)

Similarly, the links in the right hand column that advertise  active discussions used to take you to the first new response on that discussion, but no more. You can, however, right click on the link to put it on the clipboard, paste it into the URL bar of a new browser window, and add "?do=getNewComment" to the end of the URL before hitting the ENTER key.

In the buffalo picture, it looks like there is a white string on its head. What is that about?

It's bird poop, time for you to go to SpecSavers.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your serious?  We should be programmers to use this forum?  Don't think so.  Forum software seems designed for programmers self gratification rather than attracting users to me.  But understand we do get a bit single track and not greatly impressed with change as we age on.????

I don't like the complication either, and I am a programmer. However, if an old but interesting discussion comes back to life, "getNewComment" is better than going to the end with the ">>" link and paging back slowly and manually to find the first of many responses that you haven't read yet. And if you want to remember something for yourself, like a useful trick a poster has suggested, or a good deal on an item to buy, or a bread machine or air fryer recipe, you can make a bookmark for your own use, with the "findComment" phrase.

And you'll have these odd phrases memorized, after only the first few hundred times you type them. ????

Seriously, I have an amulet that you can wear while using TVF, that will do this all automatically for you. I'll sell you a copy for 20 baht if you are a foreigner (or for only a mere ฿๕๑๑๑๑ if you are Thai).

Edited by dave s
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dave s said:

Seriously, I have an amulet that you can wear while using TVF, that will do this all automatically for you. I'll sell you a copy for 20 baht if you are a foreigner (or for only a mere ฿๕๑๑๑๑ if you are Thai).

Do you have an amulet for filtering BS? I'd pay serious money for one of those.

Clicking on the blue dot, or blue star, to the left of the name in the thread listing will take you to the last unread post in that thread.  If the dot, or star, is greyed out, then there are no new posts since you last read it.

image.png.c9ee0d630d414ce9c2345065a3287452.png

For example (and to show that the edit function still works fine), I just clicked on the blue dot for the "Constant 403 Errors" thread.  It took me to the post shown below, and even tells you where your unread ones begin:

image.png.b6c122210511d2134c0a252ac6ab0b80.png

Edited by ballpoint

11 hours ago, PGSan said:

Nothing to click with, either left right or middle, on my ipad.

I don't know about iPads and iPhones, but on my Android phone with the Chrome mobile browser I tap and hold on the post's time stamp and the context-sensitive menu dave s mentioned in this post pops up.

With the old version, citing the number of a post a few pages back in the same topic or a specific post in another topic meant that the readers had to click and scroll about to find that post. For this reason I always preferred to give the direct link to the post in question, along the lines of doing unto others as I would have others do unto me.

• Like 1