Do I have enough money to live in Thailand, and how to do it

gordog

So I recently sold my house in the UK. I have around 600,000 pounds in my UK bank account. Divorced, I have no pension, no other savings, investments or assets and I am 42 years old.

I would like to permanently retire and live in Thailand, leading a modest lifestyle. 

I have no knowledge of finance, business (other than my original trade in the UK which I cannot do in Thailand )

I was wondering if this sum of money is enough, and if so what I should do with it to best see out my days in retirement here (I enjoy writing and wish to do it full time)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help ( please no replies about "why Thailand" , "other places are better" and so forth)

Learn the language first, come over on an education visa if you can get it.

Explore your options first, and see where in the varied spots in Thailand you feel most comfortable

Take twelve months and study the langiuage, explore.

Then make the move, I think the suggestion of using ghe funds for a rental back there for income and to keep up with inflation.

A must is to factor in the cost health insurance, especially now.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gordog said:

I don't think i'd be able to make money writing, it is more of an interest/hobby which brings me no income

I am a Elite Visa holder so staying in the country is not a problem

I guess I need to find a way to make the money generate more money

Get an investment property to generate income.

Depending on the type of writing you enjoy and are skilled at you could become a paid contributor to things like Medium and its ilk.

27 minutes ago, gordog said:

I should have added: I have lived in Thailand off and on since a teenager, and speak Thai

My post is just about the financial aspect of retiring here, not everything else

Great, so many challenges are overcome.

I would still consider an investment property to generate income. I do not know the tax implications either in the UK or Thailand however

Edited by RJRS1301

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Always short and sweet and 100% spot on ???? 

What is the 12kgbp per year? Are you budgeting for your family per kg? ????????

12k = 12,000  gbp = GB (British) Pounds.

He missed the space.

Easily solved.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Over my garden wall earlier this week ....... not exactly Jungle.

On the other side of the house is 7-11/Mini BigC/swimming pool, within about 200m.

I'm 12Km from the moat in Chiang Mai, 1KM from MaeJo town centre, and 6KM from Tesco, Makro and Rimping superstores.

Probably a better location than your 24m2 condo.

But OP hasn't specified what sort of life and location he's looking for, if he did, I missed it.

sunset.jpg

Nothing wrong with my 35 sqm condo in Chiang Rai, it's my man cave. Screw gardening, done more than enough in my lifetime.

The OP only said a modest life in Thailand, which could mean anything. Didn't specify location or lifestyle.

• Like 2