At least two die amid cold weather

At least two die amid cold weather

By THE NATION

800_21ac740dfcc3acc.jpg

Low temperatures across the country have been a gift for people in hot areas such as Bangkok, but for some in northern and northeastern provinces, the cold weather is a nightmare, with at people dying.

On Wednesday morning, Muang Nong Khai police were informed that a 65-year-old man died in his hut. Medical officers suspected the man died from a heart attack brought on by the low temperature at night.

Meanwhile, another man aged 59 in Udon Thani died from perforated peptic ulcer due to drinking alcohol, amid the cold weather on Tuesday.

A report said that his wife, 57, found him unconscious in his truck after he had a drink and she called police. He was later reported to have died.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401175

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-13

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It was 12.4C at 05:45 this morning out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet. 

When I go to my neighbours place tonight I will have thick woolly socks (I hate having cold feet) and a Benny hat on. I won't care if they laugh as I will be warmer.

They did laugh but my head and feet are still warm.

One thing I do miss from the UK is a hot water bottle.

They are non existent here in rural Kamphaeng Phet but they are a good thing for warding off the cold.

I will finish my soda and have a hot Ovaltine before I go to bed. 

I do feel bad for the people who cannot afford even a blanket. Surely a good blanket, or a 250 baht quilt would have saved their lives. Hard to get frostbite from a temp of 9C. 

Having said that, I have found this cold snap to be utterly delightful. Went for a long bike ride this morning, and the weather was sublime, though the air quality was horrendous. Just avoid breathing. 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do feel bad for the people who cannot afford even a blanket. Surely a good blanket, or a 250 baht quilt would have saved their lives. Hard to get frostbite from a temp of 9C. 

Having said that, I have found this cold snap to be utterly delightful. Went for a long bike ride this morning, and the weather was sublime, though the air quality was horrendous. Just avoid breathing. 

I've often seen thick padded winter jackets on sale in the local market for 100 baht or so. I have no idea how they are sold so cheap, but they aren't hard to find. No reason for anyone to freeze to death if they simply organise themselves.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've often seen thick padded winter jackets on sale in the local market for 100 baht or so. I have no idea how they are sold so cheap, but they aren't hard to find. No reason for anyone to freeze to death if they simply organise themselves.

A great plan if you have the odd 100 or so baht to spare but there are a great many places in Thailand at this time where people simply have no job and no money. Men, women and children have gone back to their home villages to live with their families because the jobs they had have simply disappeared. The reason that they left home  was to get a job elsewhere to send money back home to make life easier for their families back home and for themselves.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, billd766 said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A great plan if you have the odd 100 or so baht to spare but there are a great many places in Thailand at this time where people simply have no job and no money. Men, women and children have gone back to their home villages to live with their families because the jobs they had have simply disappeared. The reason that they left home  was to get a job elsewhere to send money back home to make life easier for their families back home and for themselves.

Surely there is someone they know, family, friends, villagers, who can somehow collectively scrape together 100 baht to keep someone in need warm. If not, what kind of society is Thailand?