Water Filter - Drinking Only

Old Croc

Looking for advice on buying a filter just for drinking water.

Have always had it delivered previously, but want to use the scheme water in my current house. 

Not looking to treat large volumes  of water from a tank as others are seeking, just want to purify drinking water with a continuous supply from one tap.

I don't want a jug with a built in filter, but something with more volume than that.

The scheme water seems clean, and is obviously treated at the plant, but locals don't drink it because of the usual added chemicals. They prefer instead to filter ground water. 

What's a good system for the purpose in your experience? Brand, size, supplier, ease of instillation, price,  filter replacements?

Thankyou.

Had one of these for a couple of years. Connects to the tap and allows flow to either the filter or to the sink. 2  of us in the house using it for drinking water and only just needing a new cartridge.

HomePro.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 19.08.06.png

Edited by DaLa
  • Like 1

I’ve been drinking both city water and well water in Isaan through a small 50gpd (I believe) reverse osmosis filter mounted on my kitchen top for years now and never had an issue. I just refill 1.5L water bottles and smash them in the fridge. 

They can be purchased all over lazada for 3,000-4,000 baht. Just get one with an included UV light. 

Same system used on ships to desalinate sea water for showers and consumption. 

That’s the only option for drinking water and no questions. 

Something like this 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.2hNSC

Edited by Mama Noodle

27 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Had one of these for a couple of years. Connects to the tap and allows flow to either the filter or to the sink. 2  of us in the house using it for drinking water and only just needing a new cartridge.

HomePro.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 19.08.06.png

Thanks for that.  We have a number of people using our drinking water (currently getting big bottles from a relatives place) this might not produce enough. It does seem expensive for what it is.

29 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I’ve been drinking both city water and well water in Isaan through a small 50gph (I believe) reverse osmosis filter mounted on my kitchen top for years now and never had an issue. I just refill 1.5L water bottles and smash them in the fridge. 

They can be purchased all over lazada for 3,000-4,000 baht. Just get one with an included UV light. 

Something like this 

Thanks, have been looking at similar from Lazada, but a little confused by choice and concerned at performance.

Your feedback appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks, have been looking at similar from Lazada, but a little confused by choice and concerned at performance.

Your feedback appreciated.

Any 50gpd (gallon per day) unit with UV light and decent ratings will be fine. 

Keep in mind that the 50gpd rating is literal. The pressure tank is like 3-4 liters, and once depleted, will take an hour or so to “recharge”. In other words it’ll take 24 hours to produce 50 gallons. I only consume 5-6 liters a day so it’s perfect for a household. 

Also you need a decent house water pressure for it to operate well at that rating. 32 psi supply and above. Any house pressure pump will do, but shoddy city supply and I’m not sure. 

But if you tick all those boxes, it’s the safest bet. 

15 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I’ve been drinking both city water and well water in Isaan through a small 50gpd (I believe) reverse osmosis filter mounted on my kitchen top for years now and never had an issue. I just refill 1.5L water bottles and smash them in the fridge. 

Something like this 

Are there any filters that has to be changed?

How often (approximately)?

Cost of replacement filters?

22 minutes ago, ravip said:

Are there any filters that has to be changed?

How often (approximately)?

Cost of replacement filters?

Yes, 5 filters total, the 3 main ones I change about every 3 months, the other 2, about every 6 months. 

Not more than a few hundred baht for a set of 5. 

Better you do it yourself and know they are clean, or rely on the water people to do it. Either way you’re buying RO water. 

Most bottled water nowadays is reverse osmosis. 

I generally don’t touch the filters until I notice the “recharge” rate decrease. 

• Thanks 1

I just boil water, easier and kills everything. Filters do NOT remove added soluble chemicals, unless the filter is activated carbon. Reverse osmosis does not remove smaller elements such as fluoride and boron.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I just boil water, easier and kills everything. Filters do NOT remove added soluble chemicals, unless the filter is activated carbon. Reverse osmosis does not remove smaller elements such as fluoride and boron.

RO removes fluoride, and most kitchen mounted RO filters have 2 activated carbon filters. Mine has a pre and post filter. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm looking for something a bit more convenient than boiling water before drinking.

3 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Thanks, the technology has improved, because in my day it didn't.

I see the usual numbnut posted an anti-fluoride message. Just hope he doesn't drink tea or eat salmon, both loaded with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Bottled water for drinking and the shop next door sells water in 5 gal bottles for 17 bht for cooking and cleaning meat and veggies. 

In Phuket I had purified water in 19 liter bottles  delivered to the door. The cooking water was available in all shops. 

No deliveries where I am now (Lazada suppliers still get here!) and the nearest shops are some distance away. I do have scheme water, unlike where I lived in Phuket.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

In Phuket I had purified water in 19 liter bottles  delivered to the door. The cooking water was available in all shops. 

No deliveries where I am now (Lazada suppliers still get here!) and the nearest shops are some distance away. I do have scheme water, unlike where I lived in Phuket.

Keep in mind that those water bottles you get are likely purified by RO. 

And those 1 baht per liter drinking water machines are also (allegedly) RO machines. 

IMO your OP was asking the correct questions. Drinking water in the home, on tap, its a time saver. Safer too. 

OP. Just purchased a townhouse. The pic below I'm guessing is a water purifier.

It's connected to small tank. Similar to gas cylinder under bench top. Looks fine but going to chuck it. Anyone welcome to it. Located Pra Ram 9 or Bearing.

Screenshot_20210114-103043.png

We use a counter top Amway filter... Simple and easy to setup, works perfectly for drinking water... We fill bottles to put in the fridge, use them in the bathroom for drinking water and brush my teeth... Simple solution, filter does 5000L before change out... 

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Will boiling also remove all added soluble chemicals?

We have a 2 stage filter, purchased at Big C & attached to the tap with a toggle switch, works perfectly,, funny how you posted today, just opened & cleaned the filters yesterday with a toothbrush, bit of gunk in there but not bad for 6 months, we all drink it & have been using this type for 6 years, no problems.

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Will boiling also remove all added soluble chemicals?

It will remove the steam-distillable ones, such as chlorine and chloramines. It won't remove elements such as lead and cadmium, which would not be added anyway.

There is some speculation chlorine and chloramines contribute to soft tissue cancer incidence, but it's difficult to prove because the cause-effect gets buried in statistical noise. One would probably need a population of 100,000 people, 50,000 drinking chlorinated water, the other 50,000 drinking boiled water, to confirm or reject the hypothesis.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Do any of these filtering/boiling methods actually remove what is the real danger........heavy metals?

Yes good filtration will remove heavy metals and RO at the end is even smaller filtration.  The UV is not really required if have RO but is a good alternative for just normal filters.

The normal 50gal flow RO units from Lazada/Shopee sellers only require filter replacement every 12 months or so in normal use and the RO filter itself should last 18 months or more.  That said most people will want to change the first stage filter more often (often in visible container) as that gets the big dirt and will look bad in a few months if water not too clean.  They are very cheap but remember every removal/install risks leaks as units are made for inexpensive purchase price (at 3k or so they are a very good value).  Do buy a <deleted> meter to check that it is operating correctly.  As for size the small 50GPD units have worked fine for our extended family of 8.

Edit:  This idiot software just deleted the abbreviation for Total Dissolved Solids.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP. Just purchased a townhouse. The pic below I'm guessing is a water purifier.

It's connected to small tank. Similar to gas cylinder under bench top. Looks fine but going to chuck it. Anyone welcome to it. Located Pra Ram 9 or Bearing.

Screenshot_20210114-103043.png

The small tank under the sink is a purified water storage and pressure vessel.  A bladder separates purified water from air below the bladder  As the filter works it partially fills the tank with purified water, increasing the pressure in the pressured area.  The pressure sends the stored purified water through the purified water faucet.

There is a pump in these units that raises the pressure of the water before it passes through the filters.  This is absolutely necessary for the reverse osmosis filter to work properly.  This high water pressure can cause leaking of water around the filter holding cylinders where they screw into the caps at the top.  The cheaper filters have a single silicon o-ring around the top of the cylinder, which is frequently the cause of the problem.  Look for a unit that has TWO silicon o-rings at the top of the cylinder and you are much more likely to get a good seal and no leaking.  The two o-ring systems are generally a bit more expensive but well worth the extra cost.  Be sure to have a salesman unscrews one of the cylinders so you can make sure that the system has dual silicon o-rings.

I recommend buying from Home Pro.  Their prices are not much higher than you get from Lazada for equivalent filter systems.  Pay them to install the system, it is worth it so that you don't have to work under the sink and so you get a guarantee that the system will work without leaks or other problems.

Edited by HarrySeaman
  • Like 1

For more than 10 years I have been using Stiebel Eltron 4 cartriges filter system. It works without RO therefore does not need electricity or an extra pump nore UV. The water is neutral in taste has no odor and is free of germs and viruses because the pores are 0.01 micron only. Metals and pestisides are removed by two carbon cartriges. I need 4 to 5 liters a day and am very happy with my system. Yesteray I ordered new cartriges via Lazada for 3.650.-- and they last for more than a year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes good filtration will remove heavy metals and RO at the end is even smaller filtration.  The UV is not really required if have RO but is a good alternative for just normal filters.

The normal 50gal flow RO units from Lazada/Shopee sellers only require filter replacement every 12 months or so in normal use and the RO filter itself should last 18 months or more.  That said most people will want to change the first stage filter more often (often in visible container) as that gets the big dirt and will look bad in a few months if water not too clean.  They are very cheap but remember every removal/install risks leaks as units are made for inexpensive purchase price (at 3k or so they are a very good value).  Do buy a <deleted> meter to check that it is operating correctly.  As for size the small 50GPD units have worked fine for our extended family of 8.

Edit:  This idiot software just deleted the abbreviation for Total Dissolved Solids.

Good filtration will remove heavy metals? Only if there's a cation exchange resin or activated carbon component somewhere.

Water from an artesian source may contain heavy metals. Water treated by a municipal authority is unlikely to do so, the use of flocculants, lime and polyelectrolyte virtually guarantees that.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Good filtration will remove heavy metals? Only if there's a cation exchange resin or activated carbon component somewhere.

Which will be a part of good filtration to protect your RO - but RO 0.005 micron size itself would remove, but not last long.

Masuma. Made in Thailand, good stainless steel, welded. Three cannister. Carbon filter followed by ion exchange water softener beads, with a faucet nozzle for cooking water. Third stage is ceramic filter with small nozzle for drinking water. 

First two cylinders have screw tops to allow powder filter material to be easily replaced. Ceramic filter will last for years if it's occasionally removed and scrubbed with salt. Valves also can be turned to allow both larger cylinders to be back-flushed. 

Just connect to a pressurized water tap (I use one intended for a dishwasher) and it works great. I've had this one for over a year and only back flushed one. Replacement carbon and zeolite beads are cheap. Never replaced them yet. Each bag is less than 100฿. I think it would take 2-3 bags for each cylinder. 

I estimate we use about 10-15L/week for cooking and drinking. The medium will last for more than a year at that rate. 

There are two sizes available, the largest costs 7,000฿ at Thaiwatsadu. 

I am very happy with its performance and its been well worth the cost. Having it right in the kitchen is very handy. I love it. 

20210114_183823.jpg

20210114_183833.jpg

20210114_184319.jpg

20210114_185245.jpg