All being well, Thailand will celebrate Songkran this year: Health Ministry

snoop1130

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

From the title:

"If covid didn't exist, Thailand wouldn't have covid"

Can I have this guys job?

You wouldn't qualify.

It's a requirement to have the brains of a wooden rocking horse, or be a complete p r i c k.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fishtank said:

Obviously trying to break the record for road deaths during this stupid festival.

I wish it could be banned indefinitely.

What an odd observation to make from the article.

It literally has absolutely no reference to road deaths whatsoever. Yet that is 

the "obvious" conclusion you come to.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

According to Sanook News, Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha has said that if people continue to follow the preventative measures put in place to limit the spread of the virus, then the Songkran water festival will go ahead as normal in April.

Who would believe that?

They announced two weeks ago to shut down schools in provinces without sick people. 

It was decided on a Sunday evening at 9 pm. 

How would they know now if the numbers are still low in April?

The fortune tellers must make good money these days. 

There is a big fat IF in the statement which means that it (the statement) comes 

with provisos, not a guarantee.

Songkran do many Thais actually know what it stands for? Its a green light to act the fool  drive like an idiot and get killed and be drunk for 4 days. Oh and throw water over each But best of all  what Thais like most is that they get out of work for 4 days 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

Songkran do many Thais actually know what it stands for? Its a green light to act the fool  drive like an idiot and get killed and be drunk for 4 days. Oh and throw water over each But best of all  what Thais like most is that they get out of work for 4 days 

More like Bah humbug man!!!????????????

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

All being well, Thailand will celebrate Songkran this year: Health Ministry

download.jpg

Image: Reuters file photo

Thailand will be able to celebrate Songkran this year, providing the number of coronavirus infections continue to fall, the deputy health minister has said.

The Songkran celebrations in 2020 had to be cancelled due to the outbreak of the coronavirus. But the famous water festival, which marks the beginning of  Thai New Year, is set to return in all its glory. 

According to Sanook News, Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha has said that if people continue to follow the preventative measures put in place to limit the spread of the virus, then the Songkran water festival will go ahead as normal in April.

Mr Sathit added that it is expected Thailand will continue to see over one hundred new cases per day for some time to come. This is because the preventive measures put in place  are not as strict as during the first outbreak of the virus last year. 

However, the government was also concerned about the impact stricter measures would have on the economy.  

Mr Sathit’s comments suggested the government was trying to balance controlling the new wave of infections without further damaging the beleaguered economy.

The news comes as Thailand on Wednesday recorded another sharp fall in the number of new infections, with health officials reporting 157 new cases, down from 287 new cases reported on Tuesday.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-13

I find it laughable that they are already talking Songkran. Maybe they ought to get their situation in Samut Sakhon straightened out first. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Satyrman said:

I find it laughable that they are already talking Songkran. Maybe they ought to get their situation in Samut Sakhon straightened out first. 

Yes, it makes no sense to me.

Thailand's vaccine program hasn't even started yet and it's clear that when it does start it's going to take a very long time to get to a majority of the population. Like over a year.

So April is like tomorrow in this context. 

I think it's crazy not to announce the cancellation now instead of even considering such a mass super spreader event. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, it makes no sense to me.

Thailand's vaccine program hasn't even started yet and it's clear that when it does start it's going to take a very long time to get to a majority of the population. Like over a year.

So April is like tomorrow in this context. 

I think it's crazy not to announce the cancellation now instead of even considering such a mass super spreader event. 

If you have lived here for a while, you'll understand that Songkran is a very big, the biggest holiday here. It's like your country and Christmas; people talk about it well before the time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

If the powers that be allow people to celebrate Songkran, then the protesters will be on the streets.

They will find a way to cancel Songkran.

People in  power are more frightened of the protesters than they are of Covid.

I am fine with peaceful protests............sending the riot police back to border patrol duties is far more of a priority I would of thought.

The parked up water canons would be a gas at Songkran on Nana Soi 4. Better still use them to put out the forest fires.

Edited by Derek B
added text.