All being well, Thailand will celebrate Songkran this year: Health Ministry

snoop1130

1 hour ago, dave moir said:

Sounds quite a selfish attitude!

Nope. Very sensible attitude.

A so called festival where participants are encouraged to throw missiles at moving motor vehicles has no place in the civilised world.

As we are referring to Thailand it probably is ok then.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Oldie said:

Songkran is the most stupid insane new year celebration I have ever seen especially in Pattaya. Please Covid help... 

Agreed Oldie, planned Seim Reip, Cambodia last year for a old traditional Songkran, but cancelled, used to be fun for two days not that long ago.....  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keesters said:

But having a bucket load of ice cold water thrown over you while riding your scooter along a public road on your way to work is not epic. I don't think anybody is trying to stop the fun they just want it to be sensible and avoid accidents and deaths caused by some overly stupid participants. 

Mainly Farang idiots.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

The stupidest event in the world;  “Thai Culture” ;

Waste of water, waste of alcohol and waste of lives on the roads.  Give a medal to these guys in power ... Please

it's their idea of having a good time.  but most of the idiots are drunken farangs.

Edited by malibukid

6 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

According to Sanook News, Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha has said that if people continue to follow the preventative measures put in place to limit the spread of the virus, then the Songkran water festival will go ahead as normal in April.

Who would believe that?

They announced two weeks ago to shut down schools in provinces without sick people. 

It was decided on a Sunday evening at 9 pm. 

How would they know now if the numbers are still low in April?

The fortune tellers must make good money these days. 

555555 they do hence the project for prisiners to become fortune tellers . 

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

it's their idea of having a good time.  but most of the idiots are drunken farangs.

No way man; 

The idea of having a good time is very subjective. Although I respect this silly game, I have no sympathy for that way of risking lives, including children or wasting water they haven’t.

Never saw farangs drunk or not in the two houses in villages who I own; One in North Chiang Mai and other one in Chantaburi... the deaths are the same.

Edited by Tarteso

13 hours ago, Keesters said:

But having a bucket load of ice cold water thrown over you while riding your scooter along a public road on your way to work is not epic. I don't think anybody is trying to stop the fun they just want it to be sensible and avoid accidents and deaths caused by some overly stupid participants. 

Probably a good idea to not ride a motorbike on those days and take another form of transportation. 

No pleease.... One blessed advantage of the pandemic is cancelling Songkran here in Pattaya where it lasts for 8 days to prepare you for your journey to hell. Nothing to worry about. Vaccinations will be Chinese, which are only placebos, the virus will spread and presto! NO Songkran and we can enjoy a quiet Apr 12-19.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:53 PM, fishtank said:

Obviously trying to break the record for road deaths during this stupid festival.

I wish it could be banned indefinitely.

How can one as a guest in a foreign country, says the national celebration of his host country as a stupid festival is beyond me. 

Warmest 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DBath said:

Probably a good idea to not ride a motorbike on those days and take another form of transportation. 

So you think people should stop going about their lawful activities so that some can unlawfully kill or injure them. 

The inmates are definitely running the asylum in your world. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Mainly Farang idiots.

The two times I've been affected, one when I came off, the other when I narrowly avoided being hit by a following car it was THAIs who were the cause. But I have observed farangs carrying out this attempted murder procedure too. 

The absolute best though was a preteen Thai boy who went through the motions of getting ready to soak me as I approached him only to find that he was miming the whole act. No water, no bucket, empty hands, all imagination and a great sense of humor. 

53 minutes ago, Keesters said:

So you think people should stop going about their lawful activities so that some can unlawfully kill or injure them. 

The inmates are definitely running the asylum in your world. 

Where in my post does it say that? I posted something that was nothing more than common sense and you chose to take offense to it and pretend to know what I think. Toughen up buttercup!

1 hour ago, DBath said:

Where in my post does it say that? I posted something that was nothing more than common sense and you chose to take offense to it and pretend to know what I think. Toughen up buttercup!

Common sense is allowing people to carry out their lawful activities and not suggest they find someway to avoid the unlawful activities of others. What you suggest is giving the unlawful precedence over the lawful. I'd call that anarchy. 

28 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Common sense is allowing people to carry out their lawful activities and not suggest they find someway to avoid the unlawful activities of others. What you suggest is giving the unlawful precedence over the lawful. I'd call that anarchy. 

I suggested nothing of the sort. If your common sense tells you to get on your motorbike and and drive headlong into that water balloon at 60kpm, then go ahead and knock yourself out.

4 hours ago, KaputtAlreadyNa said:

How can one as a guest in a foreign country, says the national celebration of his host country as a stupid festival is beyond me. 

Warmest 

Exactly; Especially traditional Songkran is NOT about splashing water in huge amounts.... This has been made up as a tourist attraction... by International & local investors in the hotel industry....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 7:35 AM, teacherclaire said:

According to Sanook News, Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha has said that if people continue to follow the preventative measures put in place to limit the spread of the virus, then the Songkran water festival will go ahead as normal in April.

Who would believe that?

They announced two weeks ago to shut down schools in provinces without sick people. 

It was decided on a Sunday evening at 9 pm. 

How would they know now if the numbers are still low in April?

The fortune tellers must make good money these days. 

Most fortune tellers, since the new programmed training, are ex-convicts. 55555555:cheesy:

On 1/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, Tarteso said:

The stupidest event in the world;  “Thai Culture” ;

Waste of water, waste of alcohol and waste of lives on the roads.  Give a medal to these guys in power ... Please

What could possibly be so much better in your culture??? Given you have one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1