Preemptive visit to Immigration prior to visa extension

Since I have had problems on my first two Non-O visa extensions (married to Thai) I decided to take my documents to Saraburi Immigration 2.5 months out to ensure no issues.  My first two visa extensions problems were due to the IO not following rules that were current on the Thai Immigration Website and followed in most provinces but not Saraburi. Both you can read about on this forum and neither self inflicted.  I learned that I needed 400k in the bank and no other method was possible in this province for an extension in case of marriage to Thai, got it.  Keep double + now just in case.  I keep copious notes of each visit so I can meet the requirements asked but they keep a constantly moving goal. 

Wife and I arrived and went through the COVID screening and a few minutes later my wife was asked in the office by one of two officers in the office and the office put up his hand to me not to enter, I sat outside the entrance door in a chair. Wife is knowledgable about visa extensions but not quite as well read as I.  Wife came back outside and said she asked the officer to let me in so I can ask questions but was told "no need I can explain for you".  There were two others let inside the door to the office and seated while I was waiting outdoors, both looked of Asian descent.  I never was allowed to enter the office to ask questions even though my wife asked several times but was met with polite deflections as she described it.  I didn't protest to get in as figured that would be counterproductive.  I felt like a dog setting on the curb watching traffic go by over something that deeply could affect our lives. 

From the wife's debrief the color of the background on my photo changed from white to blue this year which is opposite of two years (always take both anyway).  Finances were good.  I/we need to not sign documents in blue ink before coming, wait for the stamp and then sign which different this year. Last year I was asked why I didn't sign before coming in.  This is the one that got me a bit riled.  In the 4 required photos together at our house we needed to be wearing the same clothes both indoors and outdoors, never a requirement before.  We took the photos prior to going to immigration this morning and it was cold,  dogs were shivering cold.  In our outdoor photos we were wearing a jacket.  Wife told the IO if you have sense you put a jacket on when its cold and I was proud of her as she is usually very reserved.  The checklist given by this office is very generic and doesn't state any details. 

To those that don't have any issues doing extensions I am happy you don't have to deal with it. I shave, keep a good haircut, never raised my voice in immigration, shower and wear nice clothes going into any Thai government office.  Who knows what is going to change when I actually apply, yes TIT but is a bit irritating when you are trying to do the right thing. I would pay an agent but there are none around in this area that I can find.  If someone knows one send me a PM.   Somedays its really hard to keep your patience. 

B...y H....ll what an ordeal.

We just did my extension at Buriram Immigration, and we only used the same docs as last year (only a New date on Tm7, a recent KR2 and new (more recent) pictures) we were out in just over an hour!

The only major hassle was to get the Bank Letter, which took well over 1 hour to get

11 minutes ago, MJCM said:

B...y H....ll what an ordeal.

We just did my extension at Buriram Immigration, and we only used the same docs as last year (only a New date on Tm7, a recent KR2 and new (more recent) pictures) we were out in just over an hour!

The only major hassle was to get the Bank Letter, which took well over 1 hour to get

Maybe I need to move to Buriram lol!  Great that you don’t have to deal with any bs.  

21 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Since I have had problems on my first two Non-O visa extensions (married to Thai) I decided to take my documents to Saraburi Immigration 2.5 months out to ensure no issues.  My first two visa extensions problems were due to the IO not following rules that were current on the Thai Immigration Website and followed in most provinces but not Saraburi. Both you can read about on this forum and neither self inflicted.  I learned that I needed 400k in the bank and no other method was possible in this province for an extension in case of marriage to Thai, got it.  Keep double + now just in case.  I keep copious notes of each visit so I can meet the requirements asked but they keep a constantly moving goal. 

Wife and I arrived and went through the COVID screening and a few minutes later my wife was asked in the office by one of two officers in the office and the office put up his hand to me not to enter, I sat outside the entrance door in a chair. Wife is knowledgable about visa extensions but not quite as well read as I.  Wife came back outside and said she asked the officer to let me in so I can ask questions but was told "no need I can explain for you".  There were two others let inside the door to the office and seated while I was waiting outdoors, both looked of Asian descent.  I never was allowed to enter the office to ask questions even though my wife asked several times but was met with polite deflections as she described it.  I didn't protest to get in as figured that would be counterproductive.  I felt like a dog setting on the curb watching traffic go by over something that deeply could affect our lives. 

From the wife's debrief the color of the background on my photo changed from white to blue this year which is opposite of two years (always take both anyway).  Finances were good.  I/we need to not sign documents in blue ink before coming, wait for the stamp and then sign which different this year. Last year I was asked why I didn't sign before coming in.  This is the one that got me a bit riled.  In the 4 required photos together at our house we needed to be wearing the same clothes both indoors and outdoors, never a requirement before.  We took the photos prior to going to immigration this morning and it was cold,  dogs were shivering cold.  In our outdoor photos we were wearing a jacket.  Wife told the IO if you have sense you put a jacket on when its cold and I was proud of her as she is usually very reserved.  The checklist given by this office is very generic and doesn't state any details. 

To those that don't have any issues doing extensions I am happy you don't have to deal with it. I shave, keep a good haircut, never raised my voice in immigration, shower and wear nice clothes going into any Thai government office.  Who knows what is going to change when I actually apply, yes TIT but is a bit irritating when you are trying to do the right thing. I would pay an agent but there are none around in this area that I can find.  If someone knows one send me a PM.   Somedays its really hard to keep your patience. 

sad to hear about all this ...  and I know of an IO telling an applicant he inderstands, but will have to make up other questions next year....  so there it is, they are told to act in this way... so they will always try to find something wrong....

21 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

at our house we needed to be wearing the same clothes both indoors and outdoors, never a requirement before.

Does it get any more ridiculous than this? Thank god this <deleted> show is only once per year. Good luck when you go for the day of reckoning. Let the Mrs. deal with all the BS. Just do your best savant behaviour and sit smiling and grinning. That's what I would do. Thankfully I'm on retirement extension in BKK. Let's see what traps they have in store for me this year. 

3 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Maybe I need to move to Buriram lol!  Great that you don’t have to deal with any bs.  

Buriram IO provides a great service. Very little hassle and they make it easy. Last year they just took my file, checked documents and completed the forms for me. All done and dusted in 30 mins.

Credit where credit is due. Sorry to hear other areas have a little more hassle but some of the posts on TV suggest a number of those having extension problems should look at their own actions & knowledge of the requirements 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just did mine today at Phetchabun and was out in under an hour.

But: 1. even though I had a filled in TM7 had to sit there and complete 2 new forms by hand in blue ink after which they printed out a copy from there computer for me to sign as the official document.

2. had to draw a hand map in duplicate of the house location but they then produced a copy of last year's map for me and wife to sign.

3. had all of the 90 day report documents in duplicate but just gave them back to me and had me sign a computer generated form.

Great system (?) but at least there were no problems for me.

• 1 month later...

The day of reckoning has come and now at home consuming a malt beverage.  Immigration office was overran with agents/representatives registering undocumented workers. Its a small office and there were baskets of rubber banded passports and stacks of documents literally 2 foot high laying about.  Initially the IO's tried to pressure my wife into doing a retirement extension but I understand enough Thai to let them know that I request an extension based on marriage as was stated on my TM7.  Lots of rapid fire talk and I calmly pointed to my TM7 and pointed out the IO that reviewed my extention application based on marriage with my wife (not me) back in January said all was in order except I had to have a photo of the whole front of the house included which that IO denied saying that she gave it the thumbs up. Heavy pressure to change to a retirement extension continued and I just sat down in the waiting chairs and finally they gave up.  Took 7 pages of photos, two per page, for them to choose from.  The whole front of the house photo was not chosen.  After three IO's gong through the application like the next winning lottery number was hidden in it somewhere I got my under consideration stamp!  Was advised that we will get a home visit in the next week which is cool, bring some excitement to the village.  Put some Leos on ice and break out the BBQ grill!  Probably make sum tam, they would be amazed to see me make tam lao. 

Lessons learned at this particular office for an extension based on marriage this extension:  Rural IO's are busy registering all the undocumented workers now.  Going for a pre check of documents is ok but its all about what the individual IO wants that hour and day.  Each IO has their own requirements and its luck of the draw who you get. Sign your documents where they can put the stamp over them without obscuring the copied material.  They do not like doing marriage extensions because they have to go to Bangkok for approval and the home visit.  Keep 400k in the bank, no 40k per month method here. 

My thoughts:  You would think after being married 10 years, photos show construction going on at our house, more than double enough income that it would pass the "sniff" test of being a fraudulent marriage and we are still living together. Does it really require a home visit but rules are rules I guess.  Next year I hope it will be "Sir we appreciate your patience,  your documents are in order and thank you for taking time to prepare them in such detail".   Another day in Thailand and would be bored with nothing to write about without it. 

11 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

The day of reckoning has come and now at home consuming a malt beverage.  Immigration office was overran with agents/representatives registering undocumented workers. Its a small office and there were baskets of rubber banded passports and stacks of documents literally 2 foot high laying about.  Initially the IO's tried to pressure my wife into doing a retirement extension but I understand enough Thai to let them know that I request an extension based on marriage as was stated on my TM7.  Lots of rapid fire talk and I calmly pointed to my TM7 and pointed out the IO that reviewed my extention application based on marriage with my wife (not me) back in January said all was in order except I had to have a photo of the whole front of the house included which that IO denied saying that she gave it the thumbs up. Heavy pressure to change to a retirement extension continued and I just sat down in the waiting chairs and finally they gave up.  Took 7 pages of photos, two per page, for them to choose from.  The whole front of the house photo was not chosen.  After three IO's gong through the application like the next winning lottery number was hidden in it somewhere I got my under consideration stamp!  Was advised that we will get a home visit in the next week which is cool, bring some excitement to the village.  Put some Leos on ice and break out the BBQ grill!  Probably make sum tam, they would be amazed to see me make tam lao. 

Lessons learned at this particular office for an extension based on marriage this extension:  Rural IO's are busy registering all the undocumented workers now.  Going for a pre check of documents is ok but its all about what the individual IO wants that hour and day.  Each IO has their own requirements and its luck of the draw who you get. Sign your documents where they can put the stamp over them without obscuring the copied material.  They do not like doing marriage extensions because they have to go to Bangkok for approval and the home visit.  Keep 400k in the bank, no 40k per month method here. 

My thoughts:  You would think after being married 10 years, photos show construction going on at our house, more than double enough income that it would pass the "sniff" test of being a fraudulent marriage and we are still living together. Does it really require a home visit but rules are rules I guess.  Next year I hope it will be "Sir we appreciate your patience,  your documents are in order and thank you for taking time to prepare them in such detail".   Another day in Thailand and would be bored with nothing to write about without it. 

Certainly not a rant. Very well written.

On flip side to me just another thread/post from folk dealing with difficult imm offices when it comes to extensions based on marriage. 

If I was married I would do extensions based on retirement. I never face the rubbish that you state. Also I would never let random io into my house.

If money requirements are a big deal then suck it up and keep relating difficult extension experience. They are posted ad infinitum.

The home visit went well.  The officers did their business quickly and then we started talking about Toyota Thai Football and had a great conversation.  Nice visit and only requested one witness. About 1730 I got a call that I have to report the immigration office tomorrow.  The IO called my wife and said there was a mistake when stamps were transferred to my new passport?....another thread below.  Noticed that there was corrections (write overs) in the new passport when I picked it up but was told not to worry. No more talking to my wife, they will talk to me so I understand.  Have the old passport to back up the legitimacy. What now? 4 trips in two months not to mention a visit to make sure all was correct?  My wife and children immigrated to the US with no problems and this is getting old. What do they want now?  Does anyone else have problems with this office?  

Archived