British passport sent directly to Liverpool instead of VFS

Hi all. My British passport is up for renewal. I'm currently in chonburi and it's not the easiest place to leave right now. 

I'm wondering  if anyone has sent their passport directly to Liverpool through DHL  instead of going to VFS at Trendy or sent it to family in England for them to send it to Liverpool. I'll be using the online application and obviously not using the post office check system. 

Also I'll have the new passport returned to my family in England then they'll send it to me through DHL.

Has anyone tried this before ? 

Thanks 

A few. But it is illegal to be in Thailand without your passport. There's also the possibility that heightened passport office security checks means that they will access the UK borders database and see that you (your passport) hasn't entered the UK.

I'm dual national Thai British luckily so that covers me. But about the second point yeah I've scanned out of England but never scanned back in. Also I have to choose online that I'm still in England. But it's just so much easier to send it directly ????

But thanks for your reply ????

I used an agent for my passport renewal a couple of years ago, cost just a bit over 6k baht I think, that included the price for new passport + a bit for their services, you'll need to confirm the price with them mate, all I did was sign the form where required, gave them a couple of passport photographs & that was it, they fill the forms in, take them to BKK, collect the new passport and bring it back with the old one, easy bloody peasy, also, and this is important, you will get a photocopy of the letter from the embassy to fill in the blanks and present to immigration to move all your Visa etc over. Without that letter you will have a lot of trouble getting stuff moved. ???? 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

A few. But it is illegal to be in Thailand without your passport. There's also the possibility that heightened passport office security checks means that they will access the UK borders database and see that you (your passport) hasn't entered the UK.

I don't think that the passport agency & Border Control are hooked up together, otherwise people claiming the state old age pension and effectively lying to DWP about their location & living here would get away with it. ????

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Doubtful the OP will be concerned about that, he's Thai.

That's fair comment, but also the cost of sending your passport via one of the big couriers + the cost of said passport then couriering back here is costly, but I take your point thanks, good info for those that search as well ????

19 hours ago, SimonR123 said:

I'm dual national Thai British luckily so that covers me.

Dual nationals must declare their other passport when applying for the UK one, and the names must be exactly the same in both. My missis had to supply a full copy of her Thai passport along with the UK one when she renewed via VFS three years ago. I don't know whether UK applicants are supposed to send in both passports when applying online in the UK, but maybe you need to look that up. Obviously if you do have to part temporarily with your Thai passport  it doesn't affect your status in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Dual nationals must declare their other passport when applying for the UK one, and the names must be exactly the same in both. My missis had to supply a full copy of her Thai passport along with the UK one when she renewed via VFS three years ago. I don't know whether UK applicants are supposed to send in both passports when applying online in the UK, but maybe you need to look that up. Obviously if you do have to part temporarily with your Thai passport  it doesn't affect your status in Thailand.

I have always considered that to be an invasion of privacy. Can see no logical reason for it, and the UK, more than Thailand usually shows some logic.

Just now, prakhonchai nick said:

I have always considered that to be an invasion of privacy. Can see no logical reason for it, and the UK, more than Thailand usually shows some logic.

AND.......its not just showing you have a Thai passport, but they want to see every page. For what?

1 minute ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I think it's just one of their measures to combat fraud and abuse of passports.

So long as you are not stamped into Thailand on your UK passport there's nothing wrong with sending the Pport to the UK.

3 years ago I had someone take my passport back after filling out the online application form, got the passport back to a UK address within 10  days.  Passport was back here in under 3 weeks, brought back by someone else. I'm the same- dual national in the country on another passport. 

If possible send your UK Pport along with the online application to friends/family in the UK and get it submitted and returned to them before being DHL'd back here.

Its a bit more convoluted but probably raises less questions if it comes from and goes back to a UK address

51 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

In 58 years the UK Pport Agency has never questioned my dual nationality. I have never seen anything stating I had to declare dual nationality.

28 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

So long as you are not stamped into Thailand on your UK passport there's nothing wrong with sending the Pport to the UK.

3 years ago I had someone take my passport back after filling out the online application form, got the passport back to a UK address within 10  days.  Passport was back here in under 3 weeks, brought back by someone else. I'm the same- dual national in the country on another passport. 

If possible send your UK Pport along with the online application to friends/family in the UK and get it submitted and returned to them before being DHL'd back here.

Its a bit more convoluted but probably raises less questions if it comes from and goes back to a UK address

Cheers, thats exactly what I am planning to do, glad to know it works. I guess on the online application, you chose living in the UK right?

20 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I used an agent for my passport renewal a couple of years ago, cost just a bit over 6k baht I think, that included the price for new passport + a bit for their services, you'll need to confirm the price with them mate, all I did was sign the form where required, gave them a couple of passport photographs & that was it, they fill the forms in, take them to BKK, collect the new passport and bring it back with the old one, easy bloody peasy, also, and this is important, you will get a photocopy of the letter from the embassy to fill in the blanks and present to immigration to move all your Visa etc over. Without that letter you will have a lot of trouble getting stuff moved. ???? 

???? i am getting quoted 10k+ for everything including passport

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

VFS shut down last year due to Covid. Is that likely to happen again?.  Very slow passport service. Still waiting for new passport submitted 4th December and credit card debited 10th December!!!!!!!!

Currently open as my UK passport application was sent to HMPO from VFS in the last few days. How long that lasts is another question.........

10 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

???? i am getting quoted 10k+ for everything including passport

I am using an agent for my UK passport application. Paying 5k + cost of passport. So, not far off your quote. The Pattaya based agent was mentioned in an earlier post. 

I tried to get my nephew to do it for me but they said you can not. you have to do it in the Trendy office in Bangkok or an agent. I used Key visa instead of going to Bangkok. It took 8 weeks but it arrived today. sent from the Key visa office in Pattaya. Charged 5000 baht.

11 minutes ago, beet man said:

I tried to get my nephew to do it for me but they said you can not. you have to do it in the Trendy office in Bangkok or an agent. I used Key visa instead of going to Bangkok. It took 8 weeks but it arrived today. sent from the Key visa office in Pattaya. Charged 5000 baht.

when/ who told you that you cannot? I think you're not supposed to but its possible

1 hour ago, SimonR123 said:

when/ who told you that you cannot? I think you're not supposed to but its possible

This was the reply I had from HMPO a couple of years ago:-

Dear Mr XXX,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Home Office advise that for security purposes a passport must not be taken over a border without the holder in possession.

If you post your passport to a residential address in another country it potentially could be retained by the Border Agency and cancelled, This could influence that actual granting of a UK Passport as there is no absolute entitlement.

The package you use could also be damaged during the delivery process and be compromised or end up in the possession of a 3rd party which could lead to identity theft.

To confirm the notes on the declaration form that you need to read before signing;

When the application form is completed and signed by yourself, if you are not resident at the address you provide, you are making a false statement for which you could be prosecuted and a potential prison sentence.

If the passport is lost in transit or has a delivery issue you will need to attend in person to collect it. As you possibly will not have any other travel documents to return to the UK it would leave you in a difficult position.

Taking the above into account and you state that the action you are suggesting will save time and money, the repercussions of being caught are severe.

I hope this has been of assistance and recommend strongly that you follow the standard process.

If you are a chancer, go for it.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, SimonR123 said:

I'm dual national Thai British luckily so that covers me. But about the second point yeah I've scanned out of England but never scanned back in. Also I have to choose online that I'm still in England. But it's just so much easier to send it directly ????

But thanks for your reply ????

I hasten to add that you being in Thailand and your passport being in their office in the UK, that won't necessarily prevent them renewing it. However, it may involve them contacting you for verification so the contact mail address and phone numbers you provide will need to be valid.

Just saw the more recent post by @hotandsticky and the following wording suggests that they may refuse to issue a new passport because you are breaking the law. If they issue it, they will be complicit in breaking that same law.

"When the application form is completed and signed by yourself, if you are not resident at the address you provide, you are making a false statement for which you could be prosecuted and a potential prison sentence."

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I hasten to add that you being in Thailand and your passport being in their office in the UK, that won't necessarily prevent them renewing it. However, it may involve them contacting you for verification so the contact mail address and phone numbers you provide will need to be valid.

Just saw the more recent post by @hotandsticky and the following wording suggests that they may refuse to issue a new passport because you are breaking the law. If they issue it, they will be complicit in breaking that same law.

"When the application form is completed and signed by yourself, if you are not resident at the address you provide, you are making a false statement for which you could be prosecuted and a potential prison sentence."

I know people who have successfully used the direct route................... the answer I got from UKPO makes it clear that this is not a legitimate method and the risks are highlighted.

It is not to be recommended and IMO the possible consequences outweigh the cost savings.

Then again there is no prostitution or gambling in Thailand, but I am sure a few have dabbled........ some people just like to beat the system.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I know people who have successfully used the direct route................... the answer I got from UKPO makes it clear that this is not a legitimate method and the risks are highlighted.

It is not to be recommended and IMO the possible consequences outweigh the cost savings.

Then again there is no prostitution or gambling in Thailand, but I am sure a few have dabbled........ some people just like to beat the system.

Totally agreed.

Seems a false economy, at the very least, to send direct to the UK when, if attending Trendy is a chore, there are agent alternatives in Thailand.

Would guess that the 2 way cost of a UK courier would be around 2k-3k baht, maybe more. Yes, the passport cost is slightly cheaper if obtained in UK, rather than Thailand, and an agent fee can be around 5k, but being found out in going the illegal route would likely be far more costly on a number of fronts. 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived