Positive Test While in ASQ

leytonorient

I am coming to Thailand in March. My biggest concern is picking up the virus during the journey and becoming covid positive while in asq. Whether one becomes ill or just asymptomatic does anyone know how long you are kept in hospital if that were to happen?

The pcr test can come out positive for months after infection even once the person is better. Or even could have been asymptomatic the entire time.

So do they release you after a certain time or wait until a negative pcr test which can take months after infection?

Does anyone know an answer for this scenario? 

• Like 2

I don't know the procedure, but I do know the following :

If you test positive while you're in Thailand you are immediately sent to hospital for 'treatment' and an extensive investigation into your movements is launched.

What happens if we are positive and are sent to hospital asymptomatically?

Can we exercise on our own in  our hospital room and work from our computer? I do not want to lie in a bed all day having no symptoms because I am "sick".

On 1/13/2021 at 6:48 AM, leytonorient said:

I am coming to Thailand in March. My biggest concern is picking up the virus during the journey and becoming covid positive while in asq. Whether one becomes ill or just asymptomatic does anyone know how long you are kept in hospital if that were to happen?

The pcr test can come out positive for months after infection even once the person is better. Or even could have been asymptomatic the entire time.

So do they release you after a certain time or wait until a negative pcr test which can take months after infection?

I do know that most of the times I jump on a plane feeling 110%, when I get off 10 hours later my head feels stuffed up and rivers of snot are cascading downwards. Under such conditions I would be very wary of being at the mercy of a covid tester and the ensuing quarantine rip-off ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:50 PM, sammieuk1 said:

The single biggest reason for me not coming back and doing it along with being rinsed . Being at the hands of Thai officials in a confined space is an absolute no or me also if you look at the stats ASQ looks to me like one of the most infected places on earth good luck ????  

If you are ‘behaving’ at your home country your pre departure test and  two in ASQ will be negative, shell out some more cash and upgrade your seat - sit alone for added protection, get going ! 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 3:09 AM, ukrules said:

If you test positive while you're in Thailand you are immediately sent to hospital for 'treatment' and an extensive investigation into your movements is launched.

Add, the treatment period of time is obviously case by case.

• Like 1

The single biggest reason for me not coming back and doing it along with being rinsed . Being at the hands of Thai officials in a confined space is an absolute no or me also if you look at the stats ASQ looks to me like one of the most infected places on earth good luck ????  

It's not the ASQ you need to worry about - it's the flight.

It might have changed but until recently Thai citizens did not require a test before they got on to the flight - so they could freely infect many on the places.

This was a good earner for the hospitals while it lasted.

The little cynic inside me suggests that they may have done this deliberately in order to have patients to practice on in advance of any large scale outbreak. Valuable experience often comes at great cost......

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It's not the ASQ you need to worry about - it's the flight.

Agreed.  As time goes by I reluctantly agree with Thailand's quarantine requirements even though they prevent me from seeing my wife. I will have to visit soon and the cost is going to be extortionate but its the flight that concerns me more than anything. My wife came over to the UK last summer and 2 monks on her return flight tested positive. The flight was rammed full - I think there was only 1 empty seat and that was due to someone not having the correct paperwork on boarding.

When I'm in the UK, I'm in a small village so its very easy to keep away from others but you are not given any choice on a repat flight. 

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 11:09 PM, ukrules said:

Yep, happened to a friend of mine form the USA last month; returning from the USA to his Hua Hin home and second test after 4 days in his ASQ hotel showed traces of COVID but all his prior tests from the USA were negative and his test was false positive and he felt fine....whisked straight off to hospital immediately for 10 days twiddling his thumbs....

6 minutes ago, berrec said:

Yep, happened to a friend of mine form the USA last month; returning from the USA to his Hua Hin home and second test after 4 days in his ASQ hotel showed traces of COVID but all his prior tests from the USA were negative and his test was false positive and he felt fine....whisked straight off to hospital immediately for 10 days twiddling his thumbs....

Do you know if he had to pay for this privilege?

• Haha 1

Your from the UK You would be far safer in Thailand. Just don't bring the Brit strain with you. The most infected place on earth is for the moment the UK with its high prevalence of the new strain. So instead of putting Thailand down do realize where you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Agreed.  As time goes by I reluctantly agree with Thailand's quarantine requirements even though they prevent me from seeing my wife. I will have to visit soon and the cost is going to be extortionate but its the flight that concerns me more than anything. My wife came over to the UK last summer and 2 monks on her return flight tested positive. The flight was rammed full - I think there was only 1 empty seat and that was due to someone not having the correct paperwork on boarding.

When I'm in the UK, I'm in a small village so its very easy to keep away from others but you are not given any choice on a repat flight. 

That's why nowadays,  everybody travels by private plane. 

And you choose a small,  quiet provincial airport. 

• Confused 1

Actually,  quite a few well-off Thais have done this, especially last year, when commercial flights were hard to get. 

Shared with some friends,  it needn't be much more expensive than the business or first class ticket these people used to buy in the old days, even intercontinental.

Inconvenient if you come from the US, doable from Europe or Australia,  routine from Hong Kong or Singapore. 

On 1/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, leytonorient said:

Hi, you will get a test on arrival. Day 5 and again on Day 11. Results the day after

If you fail any one of these you are moved to the hospital associated with your ASQ program, and have to restart your 14 days, and it will be paid for by your insurance (which you had to take.  The ASQ hotel should also refund you any days you are not for your original booking)

• Thanks 1

Im in asq now in thonglor just had my 1st test after 5 days,receptionist phoned and told me i was un-negative,so take that im ok, cant understand why they have to go in so deep with that probe,almost came down the back of my throat,dont think i could handle testing positive on the next test and getting carted off to go through all this again..