Which diesel you're using / recommending?

heiri007

It would absolutely make 0.0% difference . Well , i'm lying ... maybe 0.0003% difference . What can be the difference is maybe slightly cleaner burn , but only very slightly . If you think it is better , good for you , take it , but makes near 0 difference .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

We almost exclusively use PTT fuels, mainly because it's the closest station but additionally I get 12.5% cash-back when using my Citi Prestige Visa card.

Our old Ranger gets the regular B7 as it's not B10 qualified, the Mu-X gets B10 if the pump is free otherwise regular B7 (neither can use B20 or I'd be putting that in too). The jury is still out if there is any consumption / performance difference between the B7 and B10.

I've never really seen much point in the premium diesels as neither engine is exactly high-performance, I'm happy to clatter along at 100-110kph.

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger Wildtrac with a 2.5 liter engine. The Ford dealer in Phuket where we bought it told us not to use B10. But here in Chiang Khan, our only PTT does not have B7 except as premium so we switched to B10. So far we have had no problem except it looks like we have gone from 8.5 liters per 100 km to about 8.8 liters per 100 km. What year is your "old" Ford Ranger?

2 hours ago, thaisail said:

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger Wildtrac with a 2.5 liter engine. The Ford dealer in Phuket where we bought it told us not to use B10. But here in Chiang Khan, our only PTT does not have B7 except as premium so we switched to B10. So far we have had no problem except it looks like we have gone from 8.5 liters per 100 km to about 8.8 liters per 100 km. What year is your "old" Ford Ranger?

I have a MY 2014 Ranger 3.2 and I switched from B7 to B10 about 6 weeks ago. I only use PTT.

I am on my third, 1000 baht batch of B10. No difference in performance and I get roughly an 80-100 km more on the 'until empty' calculator on the 1000 baht B10 refill. That's commensurate with the roughly 5 liters extra B10 compared with B7.

As expected, the mileage calculator has gone from 9.1 liter/100 km to 9.4 liter/100 km over the past month or so. I haven't done the math to see if the extra 5 liters of B10 is worth the loss of 0.3 liter/100 km.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 1

When I first got my 2.8 Tuna they gave me a chitty to fill it up. They said put in premium Diesel. As they were paying did just that. Have used it ever since.

Is it any better who knows, but it does return on a run 6.2lt = 100km. Bit more around 7.2lt in town. For a big lump think that's good. I did at one time fill up at PTT using their premium and it seemed a tad low on power. So next time filled up with Shell V power. The power came back. Not sure if PTT had given me a different speck. Who knows what comes out of any pump??? Have used PTT Prem: since and it runs like normal. I don't know what's going on now with all the new diesel speck, so will stick to Premium easy to sort out. Just look for the white label.      

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heiri007 said:

Interesting... no one using Shell... and no one the (newer) B20.

For petrol Shell seems recommended, at least that's what Benz and BMW engineers told me.

The majority seem to stick to PTT and Bangchak for diesel - why's that so?

When I had my ol' chipped Vigo the Shell V-power did make a difference, when I took the chip off the engine seamed the same with any diesel, though I still used the shell if I was near a Shell station for its advertised cleaning ability additives. Had the ride for 11.5 years with no injector probs..

18 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Interesting... no one using Shell... and no one the (newer) B20.

For petrol Shell seems recommended, at least that's what Benz and BMW engineers told me.

The majority seem to stick to PTT and Bangchak for diesel - why's that so?

I think @fredob43 is an exclusive Shell man and has dabbled with different grades.

For long distance driving, I have found PTT have always had the most efficient pump stations, even before they tied in with 7-eleven and Amazon on the concourse. Clean rest rooms and ATM machines too. Now that I'm not traveling so much, I still use them. The three nearest pump stations to my home were PTT but there's a new Shell station that's closest but I won't change.

Mrs NL preferred Bangchak when we had the CR-V so maybe that was the free water thing?

53 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I think @fredob43 is an exclusive Shell man and has dabbled with different grades.

For long distance driving, I have found PTT have always had the most efficient pump stations, even before they tied in with 7-eleven and Amazon on the concourse. Clean rest rooms and ATM machines too. Now that I'm not traveling so much, I still use them. The three nearest pump stations to my home were PTT but there's a new Shell station that's closest but I won't change.

Mrs NL preferred Bangchak when we had the CR-V so maybe that was the free water thing?

For your information I use any Premium Diesel I don't Dabble as long as it's Pre: We have two garages on top of us 1 PTT and a Shell whatever one I'm passing I use. Pre in PTT, V power Shell.

Some will come back with it cost more. For the amount of Mileage/KM I do a year it's not worth bothering about Cost. Added to the above I haven't a clue what all the new grades are. So easy for me to stick to Pre: 

There was an earlier post for a Ford 3.2 that's returning 9lt =100km on a run, using a lower 7/10 grade? that compares with my 6.2lt =100km. 1/3 better using Pre: so you can make your own mind up who gets the better Mileage using what grade. Then again it could be down to how one drives and at what speed. Or 1 a Ford and 1 a Toyota???

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

Too many variables to argue the toss about who's the better, smarter driver, etc.. For example, six year old Ranger that thrashes around on bitumen and dirt, frequently tows a trailer, hauls stuff to market and uses the same old 5-pot engine that's happily propelled a gazillion Ford Transit vans around the world versus a newly mollycoddled Fortuner in Bahn Nork.

Edited by NanLaew

I use Shell premium diesel a couple of months before the yearly mandatory check . Cleaner exhaust (and doesn't stink) and a little more power and more km than B7.  But since the disappearance of B2 , the difference between B7 and premium is more than 6 B/liter ! So rest of the year with the hated B7.

B2 should have stayed , at least for us with older cars , perhaps at a couple of gasstations , not all.

1 hour ago, thaisail said:

Just be aware that Premium is just B7 with some additives. If you buy the additive at the auto parts store and add it to your tank when filling, you should save a lot of money. However as a diesel engineer, I find that these additives are not very useful with diesel engines.

So as a diesel engineer, you go for the plain basic diesel or the one with biodiesel?

used to use the "regular" ptt diesel but good lord that was some low performance fuel.  now look for premium diesel at Shell Esso or PTT in that order of preference.   Shell calls it V-power.   getting about 23 mpg with it.

Edited by Telluride
  • Confused 1