New Car Park at T21

TaaSaparot

Reading about plans to build a new Multi-Storey Car Park, with a budget of 400 million baht, on the grounds of Terminal 21, that will hold 1400 vehicles.

They think this will alleviate the traffic problems when they close off Beach Road for Special Events.

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Reading about plans to build a new Multi-Storey Car Park, with a budget of 400 million baht, on the grounds of Terminal 21, that will hold 1400 vehicles.

They think this will alleviate the traffic problems when they close off Beach Road for Special Events.

Well the only physical space is in front of the building where the aircraft is on the Nua side. That would be a rather ugly thing to view driving into Pattaya that way....

8 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I thought they were going to redo the promenade on beach road and have loads of new parking spaces along with underground toilets.......The news seems to have gone quiet about this project...... 

22 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Go back and read the opening piece.

Question still stands.

If they truly are going to build a half decent public transport system here, there will be no need for people to drive to events on Beach Road.  

Their car / bike can remain in their hotel and they can get the train into the Beach Road area, unless................................

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Their car / bike can remain in their hotel and they can get the train into the Beach Road area, unless................................

Although there are quite a lot of hotels close to the Beach Rd... last Fireworks festival many of those hotel car parks were selling spaces... didn't alleviate traffic, more the opposite. My truck stayed at the Thai Garden Resort and getting there will not be made easier by a huge multistory slowing down North road. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Although there are quite a lot of hotels close to the Beach Rd... last Fireworks festival many of those hotel car parks were selling spaces... didn't alleviate traffic, more the opposite. My truck stayed at the Thai Garden Resort and getting there will not be made easier by a huge multistory slowing down North road. 

If the city built parking garages on North Pattaya road--or even some surface parking lots--it could eliminate the parking lanes on both sides, adding another traffic lane in both directions.  There's certainly empty land in spots and old, unused buildings that could be taken down. With two extra traffic lanes and better traffic signals and turning lanes, I think traffic would be 'made easier'.  

As for the new T21 parking garage, I only had trouble parking at T21 once--that was opening day.  I fail to see the need for a new parking garage right on the T21 site.  However, there is a surface parking lot across the side street and up a ways towards Marina that I believe T21 uses for extra parking and I could see a parking garage in that space.  T21 could partner with the city and share costs with some floors reserved for T21 and other floors for general parking use.  A parking garage there could eliminate the street parking on the street in that area and make traffic flow better there, too.  I'm talking about the street that Big Eye and the large housewares market is on, can't remember the name.  

2 hours ago, newnative said:

-it could eliminate the parking lanes on both sides, adding another traffic lane in both directions. 

Optimistic.... that approach has been necessary for decades, and also applies to Pattaya Klang and Tai.... not even when Klang was closed off during tunnel construction, was parking stopped on Nua....no!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Optimistic.... that approach has been necessary for decades, and also applies to Pattaya Klang and Tai.... not even when Klang was closed off during tunnel construction, was parking stopped on Nua....no!

Hope springs eternal.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If, and that's a big IF, this gets built, surely those coming for events on Beach Road / Central Pattaya can stay further afield, which would most likely be Thai's in cheaper accommodation, and they can get the public transport into the event, rather than driving / riding.  

34 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If, and that's a big IF, this gets built, surely those coming for events on Beach Road / Central Pattaya can stay further afield, which would most likely be Thai's in cheaper accommodation, and they can get the public transport into the event, rather than driving / riding.  

But they don't. The cheaper guys are on bikes. 

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But they don't. The cheaper guys are on bikes. 

Well, if they are going to make tickets 200 baht, for example, of course they will not use it.  It has to be at a price point that pays back the initial outlay, over time, and keeps up with maintenance and expenses.  

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Well, if they are going to make tickets 200 baht, for example, of course they will not use it.  It has to be at a price point that pays back the initial outlay, over time, and keeps up with maintenance and expenses.  

Already been announced that it will be free to use it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

You seem to miss the point that at the moment when the hold an event on Beach Road (Fireworks, Music Festival etc.) , vehicle owners use Central Festival for parking which causes gridlock for hours after the event has finished.

I guess they believe that if everyone uses this new one to be built at T21, then the gridlock on Pattaya North Road will not be so bad.

Not that I am convinced that would be the case.

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

As mentioned, if you mean the car park, well already announced it will be free. But if it is 'manned' I don't know how it will be paid for, and if it is not, it will be a choked up, stationary free for all (sic) chaotic Thai mess. 

Besides, my thoughts really stem from the Fireworks night, which was great by the way. It just appeared most of the crowd were in cars or on bikes, heading to the beach, and very few indeed on foot. I had parked at a hotel and walked... jumping on a baht bus was not an option, a WIN would have been okay. 

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

You are joking, you know Thais won't walk more than 10 metres if they can illegally park their cars near the event.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

You seem to miss the point that at the moment when the hold an event on Beach Road (Fireworks, Music Festival etc.) , vehicle owners use Central Festival for parking which causes gridlock for hours after the event has finished.

I guess they believe that if everyone uses this new one to be built at T21, then the gridlock on Pattaya North Road will not be so bad.

Not that I am convinced that would be the case.

My point being, IF, yes, a big IF, the train line gets built, there will be no need for so many car in the car park when events are held on Beach Road, IF the price of the train is reasonable.  

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As mentioned, if you mean the car park, well already announced it will be free. But if it is 'manned' I don't know how it will be paid for, and if it is not, it will be a choked up, stationary free for all (sic) chaotic Thai mess. 

Besides, my thoughts really stem from the Fireworks night, which was great by the way. It just appeared most of the crowd were in cars or on bikes, heading to the beach, and very few indeed on foot. I had parked at a hotel and walked... jumping on a baht bus was not an option, a WIN would have been okay. 

I meant the train.  

I would be surprised if the car park was free.  

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

The car park, the train, or both?

My point being, IF, yes, a big IF, the train line gets built, there will be no need for so many car in the car park when events are held on Beach Road, IF the price of the train is reasonable.  

I meant the train.  

I would be surprised if the car park was free.  

Why do you keep trying to change the discussion to "trains"?

Its a thread about a new Car Park.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Why do you keep trying to change the discussion to "trains"?

Its a thread about a new Car Park.

Members have suggested the new car park will be good when events are being held on Beach Road.  It will ease parking and traffic issues.  

My comment is, IF the train line actually does get built, there may be no need for the car park for Beach Road events.