House impeaches Trump after U.S. Capitol siege; his fate in Senate hands

webfact

10 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Someone told me today if they were to impeach him he’d be stripped of the wage he’d get after getting out of office and he wouldn’t be provided with security until the end of his days. Don’t know if it’s true, though.

The Senate has to vote for that. I hope the vote is held for the new Senate after 20 Jan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

I don't think it is a smart move in the sense you intend.  In any case, the chances of getting a conviction now or later are vanishingly low.  If McConnell had decided he wanted Trump removed and disqualified it would be done before the 20th.  He clearly has not decided any such thing, which means it almost certainly won't happen.  So, let the Dems spin their wheels.  

Meanwhile corporate backers are withdrawing financial support of the GOP.

Mcconnell is open to persuasion.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Someone told me today if they were to impeach him he’d be stripped of the wage he’d get after getting out of office and he wouldn’t be provided with security until the end of his days. Don’t know if it’s true, though.

Kind of, needs to be convicted in the Senate before leaving office and would still retain a security detail.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-could-trump-lose-by-being-impeached-and-removed-a-lot-11610569056

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/if-president-trump-is-impeached-he-forfeits-his-pension-travel-fund-security-detail-is-that-true/65-3d189015-2897-46a1-8ac7-aa923d243cf1

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/viral-tweet-distorts-facts-on-consequences-of-impeachment/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yeah, just read that.  I guess the financial part is really bothering him.  As it should be!  Elections are only 2 years away and he wants his old job back.  One that Trump lost for him.  Luckily.  I guess that's one thing we can thank Trump for!!!! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

There was voter fraud, but not enough to sway the election. What YOU heard has no bearing on what IM saying. 

You have a point:

Man Charged for Voting as Dead Mother for Trump in 3rd Case of Voter Fraud in Pennsylvania

Delaware County, Pennsylvania man Bruce Bartman was arraigned Friday after admitting to authorities that he had registered his dead mother to vote in the 2020 presidential election for President Donald Trump.

"Bartman, who is a registered Republican, also registered his mother as a Republican," Stollsteimer said...He in fact cast the ballot of his deceased mother for President Trump."

https://www.newsweek.com/man-charged-voting-dead-mother-trump-3rd-case-voter-fraud-pennsylvania-1556553

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

I don't think it is a smart move in the sense you intend.  In any case, the chances of getting a conviction now or later are vanishingly low.  If McConnell had decided he wanted Trump removed and disqualified it would be done before the 20th.  He clearly has not decided any such thing, which means it almost certainly won't happen.  So, let the Dems spin their wheels.  

McConnel doesn't want Trump removing from office. That will happen on the 20th. McConnell wants him debarred from ever running for any federal office again.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am sure he would, but then it might invalidate his ability to pursue future federal office under amendment 14 chapter 3 , and remove Damocles sword from over the head of potential challengers for leadership of the Republican party. 

and it would certainly open him to certain legal challenges when he applies for candidate status. Furthermore ,  if he was to self pardone, as soon as he leaves office in a week, he will be indicted for the crimes of the pardon simply to challenge the validity of the self pardon. You don't think prosecutors will just let a self pardon fly with out challenge? It would be the end of American democracy and the beginning of the imperial presidency. 

IMO he will not self pardon because of the above reason, and will not resign because his personality pathology will not allow him to do so.

But who knows , I could be wrong, it's not like I have never been wrong before. LOL

IMO trump is screwed and he knows it,  which is why had done anything he can to stay in power another four years . Maintain executive privilege and run down the clock on the statute of limitations for previous crimes that are waiting for him to leave office. 

My money is on the self-pardon.

56 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

If he were impeached and convicted that might be true, but no one really knows because it has never happened.  Anyway, it's academic, because he won't be convicted.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Remember how certain everyone that Trump was finished when the Access Hollywood tapes came out?  Time passed and he was still there.  It is possible that the furor against Trump this time will die down also and the corporations will remember that their interests are best served by the Republicans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

McConnel doesn't want Trump removing from office. That will happen on the 20th. McConnell wants him debarred from ever running for any federal office again.

Right, but once he has left office trying him in the Senate is probably unconstitutional and so the disqualification for future office option is no longer on the table.  McConnell knows this as well as anyone, so if he really wanted to that nail in Trump's coffin he would have made sure that a) the Senate trial would take place before the 20th and b) he announces that he is voting for conviction.  Since neither of those steps have taken place, McConnell is up to something else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Remember how certain everyone that Trump was finished when the Access Hollywood tapes came out?  Time passed and he was still there.  It is possible that the furor against Trump this time will die down also and the corporations will remember that their interests are best served by the Republicans.

I remember how when the ‘Access Hollywood tapes’ came out many people said Trump

was not fit for Presidency, others defended him.

Well look how that worked out,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

My money is on the self-pardon.

I read that it can not stand up in court. I am not constitutional lawyer, but many experts say no including his personal lawyers and the former AG Barr. Maybe Rudy Guiliani  and that crazy lady who was going to give krackers. may think he can, but these are not the best lawyers out there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I remember how when the ‘Access Hollywood tapes’ came out many people said Trump

was not fit for Presidency, others defended him.

Well look how that worked out,

What they thought was that Trump's candidacy could not survive that scandal.  Vice presidential candidate Mike Pence even went to the RNC to offer himself as candidate for president assuming that Trump would have to quit the race.

It didn't work out that way.  Trump was never fit for the presidency and all the politicians always knew that, but that consideration is not decisive if your party has a path to power that ignores it.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

I think McConnell is kicking the can down the road so that the conviction is pinned on the Democrats, who at that time will have control of the Senate.  And then the Republicans can then caterwaul how the mean Democrats don't want to have unity and wanted to convict the President.  (er, FORMER President)

That will also happen, but McConnell's actions demonstrate most clearly that disqualifying Trump from running again was not important to him.  If it had been he would have scheduled the Senate trial immediately and urged his members to vote to convict, but he did neither of those things.  So, basically that project falls apart and could even be detrimental to the incoming administration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Arrested by an AG who firmly believes the election was stolen (it wasn't) in a state that believes the same thing.  Right....

The lady was arrested for voter fraud. Done and dusted. 

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Surprise, Surprise: Reports Debunk Viral Project Veritas Video About Harvesting Ballots

This is a completely different case. 

4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

It seems pretty clear that the point of impeachment is removal from office.  A former president cannot be removed from office and is therefore not subject to impeachment.

Impeachment is just a fancy word that means to bring a prosecution. A former president can still be tried for acts deemed criminal that were conducted during his presidency.