House impeaches Trump after U.S. Capitol siege; his fate in Senate hands

webfact

7 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

An even more important aspect about this article of impeachment was the firm clause that bars Trump from taking any [elected/appointed] public office in the future. 

That would be a sad day for the rest of the world who love the modern day "Dallas". 

5 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Someone told me today if they were to impeach him he’d be stripped of the wage he’d get after getting out of office and he wouldn’t be provided with security until the end of his days. Don’t know if it’s true, though.

see "former presidents act"

https://www.everycrsreport.com/files/19980605_98-524_5719c7e830226aec8a17505871ced06bcaf84b13.pdf

if he resigns, or is impeached but not convicted, he keeps his benefits.

if convicted, he loses all benefits, although congress would probably vote to continue the security detail.

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

This is just the beginning. mcconnell might delay bringing the impeachment to the Senate for trial, but it would then come under the Dem-controlled Senate next week. Getting 67 votes to convict is difficult, but if there is even a hint of more terrorism by 45's base, it will become easier. Also, the vote requires a super majority of those present, so if some repubs 'vote' with their feet, it makes it easier to get 67%.

Sure conviction votes from repubs seem to be Sasse, Romney, Murkowski and Thune. Likely include Shelby, Collins and Burr. Portman might be in that 'likely' group. McConnell is still deciding, as his goal is to rebuild a Party and his vote would be based on how to resurrect from the ashes something that could resonate with voters.

If other repubs show their true colors (100% self-serving), then we could add hawley, cruz and rubio, since all fancy themselves POTUS candidates in 2024 and would like to have 45 out of the way for good.

Conviction is possible.

45 is up against it regardless. His self-pardon, if he does it, will fail in the courts, as the US is not a monarchy. A self-pardon, theoretically, would allow President Biden to execute 45 then say 'pardon me'. Obviously we don't want that kind of power and non-accountability in the hands of anyone. Because 45 alienated pence, even if 45 resigns before next Wednesday, pence is unlikely to pardon him. pence also has ambitions for 2024, so he, too, would want 45 out of the way.

AG Garland is likely to pursue Seditious conspiracy charges against 45, ruby, 45, jr and Rep brooks. A host of civil suits will also be aimed at 45. Then there's NY State and Georgia, both of whom have investigations ongoing against 45. NY still awaits 45's tax returns, but given the law ("shall provide"), the new Treasury Sec and IRS Chief will likely give NY State those tax returns next Wednesday afternoon.

Banks have deserted 45 and are likely to call in loans. He also has at least $300 million due in 2021, and DB has already stated they will not refinance. 45 doesn't have the cash, so expect bankruptcy #7. What he owes and what he will need to pay in legal costs dwarfs even what he was able to grift off his base with his fake fraud claims and small print that allows him to do whatever he wants with any contribution less than $5000.

Adding more salt in the wounds the Govt of Scotland is investigating his purchase of Turnberry and other golf courses in Scotland, and if 45 cannot produce evidence of the source of the funding, Scotland can seize all of those assets. 45 might not even be able to enter Scotland, as several parliament members have produced a Bill that puts 45 on a terrorist watch list and prohibits him from entering the country.

I suspect 45 will look on 2020, the year he got hammered in the election, as 'the good ole days'.

oh, so claiming maralago as a residence wasn't just to (illegally) vote in florida?

it was to prevent loss of "primary residence" under bankruptcy.

that's winningly clever.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

oh, so claiming maralago as a residence wasn't just to (illegally) vote in florida?

it was to prevent loss of "primary residence" under bankruptcy.

that's winningly clever.

Supporting ANYTHING 45 does is anything BUT clever. His supporters all got played (except for the billionaires which I guarantee are not on this forum!).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Get rid of the hate speech and misinformation from the right, and the left will accordingly back down.  Easy.

I haven’t seen any widespread misinformation by the left. And certainly not that “we are living on a flat earth controlled by Hugo Chavez and a group of aliens eating little children” gaga-doodoo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, polpott said:

This isn't a given. First the Senate must uphold the impeachment by 2/3rds majority, then an application to the Senate can be made to bar him from holding Federal office for life which requires a simple majority to pass, which would almost certainly pass now the Democrats hold the Senate.

McConnell is privately advocating this as it would wash that man right out of their hair, essential if the currently fractured Republican Party is to reunite and move forward as one.

It would also serve to remove any hopes of his base that their glorious leader will make a comeback. The Trump cult is a personality cult, remove the leader and the cult dies.

The Tea Party movement began in 2009 during Obama's first term..Unfortunately it was hijacked by Republican swamp critters.. The movement itself went on to elect Trump. It lives on as near 75 million Americans voted for Trump picking up a notable percentage of minorities and Democrats along the way..Even if Trump goes down they will find a replacement..To many Americans are fed up with the antics of DC..It would not surprise me to see another third party movement  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Although I can never see an "Ex President" ever going to jail in these times would be good 

if gets the tag "can never stand for public office again.

Job done senate

Of course not normally and I agree the odds are against it, but if any U.S. president ever does get sent to the hoosegow it would be him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

Let it go in the same way the Trump acolytes let the lost election go?

PH

I get your point though it's flawed. Trump did lose the election yet he claimed he won. Trump did incite a terrorist attack on democracy. All the democrats are insisting on (and thankfully a growing number of republicans) is that there be consequences for that under the rule of law. In other words there is no moral, legal, or ethical equivalence between those two things whatsoever.  

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J Town said:

One more time:

I was moving out of the family house in a week. Today, I pushed my grandma down the stairs, killing her. My parents want to call the cops and hold me accountable for my actions. I tell them what will that do to help unify the family? See how that works?

It looks like you're attempting to jump to "healing" and "unity" without passing through "accountability" and "consequences."

Please go back and finish "accountability" and "consequences" before trying to load "healing" and "unity."

your analogy is wrong.

you tell the cops it's pointless to arrest you.  it's too late to prosecute because by that time you'll have already moved into a new apartment.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I get your point though it's flawed. Trump did lose the election yet he claimed he won. Trump did incite a terrorist attack on democracy. All the democrats are insisting on (and thankfully a growing number of republicans) is that there be consequences for that under the rule of law. In other words there is no moral, legal, or ethical equivalence between those two things whatsoever.  

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not advocating Dems break the law just because the Tumpists did so.  I am suggesting that they do not ignore those actions,but take lawful steps to combat them.

PH

Just now, Jingthing said:

Me too but I was wondering if that was the penalty for treason. 

I'd have to look it up, but I DO know the death penalty IS on the table for treason but during time of war. I believe Congress hasn't declared war since Vietnam because the gubmint has to pay more to wounded vets in time of war. We have conflicts now, not wars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Despise Trump as I do, I don’t see a case for treason, even the Rosenbergs were not charged with treason.

Conspiracy to sedition and incitement of a coup are more likely.

trea·son

/ˈtrēzən/

noun

the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

I dunno, looks like treason to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It will be interesting to see whether the fallout from the Trump inspired insurrection and resulting impeachment ends up falling more broadly on some Republicans in the House of Reps.

Some House Democrats Have ‘Real Concern’ GOP Colleagues May Have Aided Capitol Attack

A growing number of House Dems are calling for an investigation into whether their GOP colleagues aided Trump’s supporters during the Capitol riot.

WASHINGTON — A growing number of House Democrats are calling for an investigation into whether their Republican colleagues aided President Trump’s supporters who violently stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 in an effort to overturn the results of last year’s election. 

Rep. Cedric Richmond, D-La., told Yahoo News that many of his Democratic colleagues are discussing the possibility Republican House members played a role in the attacks. 

“I would hope no member did this, but the truth is there are more questions than answers; what kind of communications did people have with members? Did members give them a heads up about certain things like which entrances to use or other intelligence before or during the attack?” Richmond asked, adding, “That’s a real concern and I’ve heard many people talk about that.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/house-democrats-concern-republicans-riot-capitol_n_5fffa4dec5b6c77d85ecbc9f

Democrats demand investigation of whether Republicans in Congress aided Capitol rioters

Even as Democrats on Wednesday impeached President Trump, they turned their attention to allegations that Republican members of Congress encouraged last week’s attempted insurrection, possibly providing help that enabled the mob who stormed the Capitol.

“Their accomplices in this House will be held responsible,” Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said in a speech during the impeachment debate, without mentioning specific members or allegations.

In the days since the Jan. 6 attack, immediately preceded by Trump’s remarks at a rally, a number of Democrats have pointed to speeches, tweets and videos that they have said raised questions about whether the attackers may have been inspired or helped by Republican members of Congress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/republicans-capitol-rioters/2021/01/13/9737a336-55e2-11eb-a931-5b162d0d033d_story.html

There may be a perfectly innocent explanation for the following but I'm sure it's going to be investigated:

Panic buttons in Ayanna Pressley’s office had been ‘torn out’ before the Capitol riot, chief of staff says

As rioters began to storm the Capitol building in Washington, D.C., last week, Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley’s staff barricaded the doors to their office — and made a startling discovery.

“Every panic button in my office had been torn out — the whole unit,” Sarah Groh, Pressley’s chief of staff, recalled to The Boston Globe.

The buttons had been used before, and Groh said she had not switched offices since then. 

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2021/01/13/ayanna-pressley-office-panic-buttons

Pressley is one of the  original members of The Squad along with AOC, Omar, and Tlaib and has been a target for Trump and the alt-right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1