House impeaches Trump after U.S. Capitol siege; his fate in Senate hands

webfact

12 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I don't think it's all that hard to know what the Supreme Court would do.  Impeaching a former president, the wobbly precedents notwithstanding, would represent the large expansion of the impeachment power of the Congress.  I think the Roberts SC would nullify any legal action arising from such a decision, as I have outlined.

Really?

"In 1993, the Supreme Court held that it’s not for the courts to review the propriety of impeachments. As Chief Justice William Rehnquist wrote, neither any extrinsic evidence from the Constitutional Convention nor contemporaneous commentary suggested that the founders even contemplated “the possibility of judicial review in the context of the impeachment powers.” It’s ultimately Congress’s call — for former officers as much as current ones."

Opinion | Why Trump Can Be Convicted Even as an Ex-President - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

11 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He is a sad beaten man desperate to grasp any modicum of false dignity leaving the WH. Eager for some final taste of pomp being a President, he asked for a major send-off from the WH on inauguration day before taking his last Presidential flight to Palm Beach. Will miss laughing at his petulant behavior. 

Hes been contacting bannon trying to finda way to reverse the will of the people.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-back-contact-steve-bannon-065618406.html

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

He is a sad beaten man desperate to grasp any modicum of false dignity leaving the WH. Eager for some final taste of pomp being a President, he asked for a major send-off from the WH on inauguration day before taking his last Presidential flight to Palm Beach. Will miss laughing at his petulant behavior. 

Yet it's difficult to feel any sympathy for the conman, or any confidence he is no longer a threat to the country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Being true makes it even funnier:

"Trump has been consumed by the unraveling of his presidency during his last days in office, according to people around him, which included a casual discussion among advisers recently about a possible resignation.

Trump shut the idea down almost immediately. And he has made clear to aides in separate conversations that mere mention of President Richard Nixon, the last president to resign, was banned."

I get the impression he's stalking the corridors of the Whitehouse, muttering to himself, not trusting anyone around him, and shouting at the shadows.  Perhaps, in another hundred years or so, a new Shakespeare will come along and write "Donald the First".  Maybe drawing upon Macbeth along the way:
(Donald is) "but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

i imagine he's stalking the corridors of the white house, searching for the duplicate key to the dominion servers.  sure, we laugh and make jokes, but there's still a chance that he'll prove....with stable geometric logic...that the kraken had confeved.

• Haha 2

"Colorado officials have written to congressional leadership requesting an investigation into Representative Lauren Boebert’s actions leading up to the attack on the United States Capitol last week. Boebert, a subscriber to the baseless QAnon conspiracy theory alleging that President Donald Trump is being victimized by a cabal of Satan-worshipping Democrats, challenged the results of the 2020 election ahead of the attack."

Colorado Officials Urge Investigation into Rep. Lauren Boebert, Who Tweeted Pelosi's Location During Capitol Attack (politicususa.com)

• Like 1

It amazes me that the congress let these elements infiltrate in their midst. Boebert exhibits the same kind of zealotry as the shot dead female Capitol rioter.  As for the former, just watch her voicing her objection against Trump impeachment round 2 and one has an understanding of the fear of congressmen for their own safety brought on by their own colleagues. Same with the latter, one only needs to watch her video selfie of her political ranting in her car and one would quickly put aside any moral concern regarding her demise.

Bottom line is Boebert needs to answer her Pelosi location tweet to the authorities. If I were in Pelosi shoes, I would not rest until Boebert is herself impeached. My bet is that she was also one of the Capitol "tour guides" the day before the attack. To hear the rioters plan the next move during the siege around the info they had of which door/stairs leading to which room is chilling. And to hear AOC trembling voice recounting her ordeal is heartbreaking.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

Some evidence that Trump's going to go for it:

"MyPillow CEO Visits Trump in Oval Office Carrying Notes That Appear to Propose Drastic Action: ‘Martial Law If Necessary’"

"Among the explosive proposals appears to be the phrase '…martial law if necessary.'"

https://www.mediaite.com/news/mypillow-ceo-visits-trump-in-oval-office-carrying-notes-that-appear-to-propose-drastic-action-martial-law-if-necessary/

evidence?  hey!  that's what real lawyers submit in trial documents!

awfully considerate of trump and the mypillow guy to provide.....evidence.....for impeachment 3.0

Mike-Lindell-Appears-to-Carry-Notes-to-O

https://www.mediaite.com/news/mypillow-ceo-visits-trump-in-oval-office-carrying-notes-that-appear-to-propose-drastic-action-martial-law-if-necessary/

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

"MyPillow CEO Visits Trump in Oval Office Carrying Notes That Appear to Propose Drastic Action: ‘Martial Law If Necessary’"

"Among the explosive proposals appears to be the phrase '…martial law if necessary.'"

An executive order may be in his tortured mind until reality kicks in that unilateral order is unconstitutional. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 8:55 AM, J Town said:

Without a legitimate reason, it will never happen. Just another limp straw for little minds to grasp at.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:26 AM, Eric Loh said:

An executive order may be in his tortured mind until reality kicks in that unilateral order is unconstitutional. 

even with a legitimate reason, this would be a drastic step (or steps).  one guy with a sharpie cannot pull this off.

i doubt many would follow trump's orders, and pence would immediately proceed with article 25.

in fact, i would suspect pence is reconsidering his response to pelosi's demand just about now.  trump entertaining declaring martial law, inviting proponents of overthrowing the government into the white house, on the day yet another 4000 americans die of covid, should be grounds for removal from office.

sure, it's entertaining.  gosh, that's our trump!  but jeebus aitch keerist!  the ... president of the united states is inviting tinfoil underpants conspiracy theory nutjobs into the ... white house to discuss enacting martial law!!  with this information now available, how many republican senators will dare to vote against impeachment????

Edited by onthedarkside
profanity references removed
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

even with a legitimate reason, this would be a drastic step (or steps).  one guy with a sharpie cannot pull this off.

The plan is to orchestrate widescale insurrections, similar to last Wednesday, at as many state capitols as possible, on the 17th. PA is a major target, orchestrated by Mr. My Pillow. Trump then calls martial law thus delaying the inauguration for the period of martial law is maintained, which is under the control of Trump, i.e. forever.

Another cunning plan to subvert US democracy which is already in the gutter. Oh how the rest of the world is laughing at this, self proclaimed, "bastion of Democracy".

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOK said:

As usual, Trump is surrounding himself with nutters that believe in the same lies as he does.  Incredible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

The plan is to orchestrate widescale insurrections, similar to last Wednesday, at as many state capitols as possible, on the 17th. PA is a major target. Trump then calls martial law thus delaying the inauguration for the period of martial law is maintained, which is under the control of Trump, i.e. forever.

Another cunning plan to subvert US democracy which is already in the gutter. Oh how the rest of the world is laughing at this, self proclaimed, "bastion of Democracy".

Just listened to the governor of PA.  Voter fraud?  They found 3 cases.  Out of millions.

Time for the politicians who support these lies to pay the price and be fired.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

The plan is to orchestrate widescale insurrections, similar to last Wednesday, at as many state capitols as possible, on the 17th. PA is a major target, orchestrated by Mr. My Pillow. Trump then calls martial law thus delaying the inauguration for the period of martial law is maintained, which is under the control of Trump, i.e. forever.

trust the plan?