Explainer: Impeachment or the 14th Amendment: -Can Trump be barred from future office?

webfact

6 hours ago, impulse said:

You know what's funny is that every major media outlet ran investigative stories around the 2018 midterms about how flawed the election machines are.  And that there's no way the vulnerabilities could possibly be fixed before the 2020 elections.  

Let's see how Maricopa county goes...

how soon we forget, selective memory when the Democrats were all going crazy over the election machines

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Correct, and the responsibility resides with trump since this whole "stop the steal" b*****t is his idea and he knows very well how uncritical and excitable the ever-trumper lemmings are.

Charge him, try him, convict him and incarcerate him. Lock him up! 

I think it's safe to say that the "election fraud" drama is going to haunt US politics for the next 10 years, Republicans will never forget that episode, and Trump supporters will have the cause they were looking for after Trump is out of the WH.

It took 8 years for the Dems to forget the 2000 "election fraud" with that blissful idiot GW Bush, but I think it will be much longer for the Republicans. Let's hope some bi-partisan reforms will come after those episodes, because the perception of "election fraud" is damaging for democracy. Ignore that perception, even by a few, is what create political chaos.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/14/2021 at 5:42 AM, pegman said:

Don't be so sure. I saw a poll where 2/3 of republican supporters stated they would vote for him in the 2024 primary 

My source tell me come the 20th he'll be in an orange jump suit and manacled while our real president Biden is sworn into office.  Look for a sweep up of the American deplorable on sedition as well.  Then 46 can start the cleansing process the United States of America needs.  I real clean up from top to the bottom dregs of white supremacist racists and the slime from England who enslaved my folk.   We need a serious cleaning that gives the country back to the minorities including blacks, native americans, mexicans, hispanics and the oppressed minorities.  White America better start getting use to showing solidarity and taking a knee. 
The Honorable New President of The United States and The Honorable Congresswoman and Speaker of The House Mrs Polosi has it right.  They understand and will do the right thing.
NP1.jpeg.5eb9c2958ad0d7958e87b0aa4e0da870.jpeg
NP2.jpeg.e0f3d1d6c6b51f2e7587523845942351.jpeg

Just now, VBF said:

Yes...I have a friend of over 40 years, here in UK, who, long before I had heard of QAnon, was quoting their (his?) so-called "philosophy" at me. What saddens me, is that this friend with whom I used to work and see as an intelligent individual, seems to have been taken over by these ridiculous conspiracies.

He's also an anti-vaxxer and believes in the anti-5G propaganda! The latter is odd because, like me, he formerly worked in Electronics and IT!

Up until Covid, we were able to discuss these theories in a civilised manner, agreeing to differ where appropriate, but now I avoid talking to him for fear of destroying a valued friendship.

I too have an American friend here, who is a brilliant man, and a far right republican, and also a rather "died in the wool" evangelical Christian. Combine those two, and you have some very bizarre ideas about the world, and especially American politics. We had lunch prior to the presidential election, he looked me straight in the eyes, and told me if the democrats win the election, it will be the end of the world within weeks of Biden taking office. I asked him, what do you mean? The atmosphere will evaporate? Cataclysmic earthquakes will happen, and the earth will swallow us up? Will a comet know about the results, and crash into earth? He could not reply, but stammered something about the final retribution, and the consequences of not following God's plan. He is otherwise a very rational, and scientific minded guy. A real pleasure to talk with. An encyclopedic student of history. What can one say? I would not describe him as a nutter, except on this level.

Trump really attracted alot of disenfranchised, out there, fringe element individuals to his cause, with his lies about being an outsider, his clever slogans like draining the swamp, being free of corruption, and being willing to not listen to lobbyists. Quite the contrary, there was never a lobbyist that visited him, that he said no to, other than any that cared about the planet, and were foolish enough to waste their time with him. He tested the slogans in advance, to see how his devotees responded to them at rallies! As spontaneous as it all appeared, it was all a rather rehearsed bit of Trump theatre. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

I think it's safe to say that the "election fraud" drama is going to haunt US politics for the next 10 years, Republicans will never forget that episode, and Trump supporters will have the cause they were looking for after Trump is out of the WH.

It took 8 years for the Dems to forget the 2000 "election fraud" with that blissful idiot GW Bush, but I think it will be much longer for the Republicans. Let's hope some bi-partisan reforms will come after those episodes, because the perception of "election fraud" is damaging for democracy. Ignore that perception, even by a few, is what create political chaos.

"I think it's safe to say that the "election fraud" drama is going to haunt US politics for the next 10 years...."

Yes, the Dems and the sane GOPers won't easily forget the shameful attempt at overturning the election. The fist result of that blatant banana republic attempt at a power grab backfired spectacularly when the Dems took control of the Senate. Karma's a b***h, som nam naa and all that good stuff.

"Let's hope some bi-partisan reforms will come after those episodes, because the perception of "election fraud" is damaging for democracy. Ignore that perception, even by a few, is what create political chaos."

When that perception is built on wild conspiracy theories that completely ignore facts it's impossible to do anything about it and that's what's creating the chaos.

Edited by Phoenix Rising

7 hours ago, impulse said:

You know what's funny is that every major media outlet ran investigative stories around the 2018 midterms about how flawed the election machines are.  And that there's no way the vulnerabilities could possibly be fixed before the 2020 elections.  

Let's see how Maricopa county goes...

Well, if 'every major media outlet ran investigative stories' you should be able to link to a few dozen, and specifically stories that are critical of Dominion machines. Real media sources, too, not conspiracy sites like gateway pundit or zerohedge.

Chris Krebs, a cyber expert appointed by 45, and a man who said 2020 was likely the fairest election the US ever had, is probably---i'm just guessing here, so pardon me if I'm wrong---far more expert in these matters than you.

You may also wish to know, or perhaps not, that 45's 'elite strikeforce team' claimed Dominion machines changed votes in districts in PA where they did not even use Dominion machines. 45's people were laughed out of court for that one.

How vile is a POTUS who say watching on TV as terrorists attacked the Capitol, chanting "Hang Mike Pence", with (R) Congresspeople calling 45 and asking him to do something, call the National Guard, etc., and he did absolutely nothing for several hours. Disgusting coldness, dereliction of duty, and even treason.

Almost as vile is that (R) Rep greg pence, knowing that terrorists had been searching for his brother the VP to hang, STILL voted against impeachment of the person who sat watching TV doing nothing while the terror attack went on, and who had spent the morning riling up the crowd, bad mouthing his own VP, and telling the crowd to march on the Capitol.