Buying a vehicle

SakonTom

I’m considering buying a vehicle or motorcycle here in Thailand. Can some genuine, wise and knowledge people please give some friendly advise of the hidden pitfalls and necessary steps to take. E.g. the pros or cons are of putting the ownership in your name or your wife’s name. The advantages and disadvantages of purchasing either new or old in Thailand  (other than the obvious) , buying privately versus from a dealer, the buyers protection or rights? For the benefit of sincere dialogue could any self proclaimed comedians please refrain.

I would defiantly put it in your name, whether you trust the missus or not, worse case scenario IMO (apart from it being sold from under you when her family get into debt), is that if the missus was to die, then its not yours, but her families, (a will, I hear, good luck with that TIT.)

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Wait until her birthday, anniversary  or some other gift-giving event. 

Buy whatever car you want and give to your wife as a gift. 

Three birds with one stone

Problem is, birds can avoid a stone and fly off.

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I would defiantly put it in your name, whether you trust the missus or not, worse case scenario IMO (apart from it being sold from under you when her family get into debt), is that if the missus was to die, then its not yours, but her families, (a will, I hear, good luck with that TIT.)

Also, good to throw all your stuff in when its time to say bye.

I need new lady !!!!!!!!!!

( it's called a getaway vehicle ) :cheesy:

• Like 1

I purchased a used car from a dealer in Bangkok.  I looked at private sales on Facebook and even looked at a few of them.  The vast majority were from Russian sellers and some did not have the book in their name.  I am told this is typical when vehicles are damaged and then repaired and sold to unsuspecting buyers.  

I would buy second hand again since it is so much cheaper.  However, whether through a dealer or a private party demand that you are allowed to get the car inspected by the dealership who sells that brand.  So you buy a Toyota, demand you get the car inspected at a Toyota dealership. 

It is "easier" to put the car in the Thai persons name but not difficult to put in yours.  You go to immigration and get a certificate of residence and that goes with the book to change from prior owners name to yours.  That is what I did, and the insurance is in my name but anyone can drive the car.