What happened 30 years ago ?

I was reading a story at Pattaya Mail today and there was a picture of an empty beach. The caption mentioned that the beaches are the most empty and quiet they have been in 30 years. What happened in Pattaya 30 years ago that they were so quiet ? Or was that just an irrelevant caption ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

30 years ago......Mobile phones did not exist, social media did not exist, life was good!     

My first visit there was almost 29 years ago (Songkran 1992), and it was well known that the water was quite polluted.  I recall there was a warning about this in Lonely Planet guide at the time.

I was able to dig up this story about Pattaya's beaches 30 years ago: "It is the height of the season in Pattaya, one of the biggest moneymakers in Thailand’s tourism boom. The Gulf of Thailand is a

39 minutes ago, dailydouble said:

I was reading a story at Pattaya Mail today and there was a picture of an empty beach. The caption mentioned that the beaches are the most empty and quiet they have been in 30 years. What happened in Pattaya 30 years ago that they were so quiet ? Or was that just an irrelevant caption ?

There was a bloodless coup.

1983 first time here. Went for a swim and cut my foot open on broken glass. Haven't swum in the see at Pattaya Beach  since. Jomtien was OK  then but the last time I swum there i came out itching and rushed to the shower in Pattaya Park.

19 hours ago, dailydouble said:

What happened in Pattaya 30 years ago that they were so quiet ? Or was that just an irrelevant caption ?

I was in Pattaya for the 89/90 High Season and once the Festive Season was over, business did slow down more then the norm at the time, but to say the beaches were empty is wrong.

I seem to remember the blame was directed at a series of newspaper articles that painted Pattaya in a bad light, especially in the German Press, but there was a few infamous ones in the British Press also.

Pre-Internet days, so Pattaya was still a bit of a secret back then, and I was asked a lot by Family, Friends and Workmates, why was I travelling all that distance for some winter sun.

A ""Sleepy Fishing Village"? .... erm, most definitely not.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, roger101 said:

1983 first time here. Went for a swim and cut my foot open on broken glass. Haven't swum in the see at Pattaya Beach  since. Jomtien was OK  then but the last time I swum there i came out itching and rushed to the shower in Pattaya Park.

Funny you mention itching. I swim on Dong Tan beach and get a prickling sensation like I've been stung. I thought maybe the salt?

On 1/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, carlyai said:

I was having a Margarita with Father Ray (now resting in heaven ) at the Pattaya Orphanage a while ago now.

He was telling of the time they used to row out into the bay and fish. The water was so clear you could see the sandy sea bottom. This is only going back 20 odd years, so 30 years ago ...

Nah..The water was dirty and polluted around Pattaya Beach in the 80s...definitely by the later 80s.