What happened 30 years ago ?

dailydouble

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I think the pipe is (or was) still there (I haven't gone done there in a long time).

At a friends condo, in Jomtien, the balcony facing seawards, he said he sees a black cloud in the sea mornings, where something is obviously pouring out offshore. 

• Like 1

I was living in Pattaya 30 years ago. The water was filthy, raw sewerage being pumped straight into the bay just near the police box at the start of walking street. It was common knowledge not to swim at Pattaya.

Thirty years ago was a fun time in Pattaya much different to these times.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jessi said:

I was living in Pattaya 30 years ago. The water was filthy, raw sewerage being pumped straight into the bay just near the police box at the start of walking street. It was common knowledge not to swim at Pattaya.

Thirty years ago was a fun time in Pattaya much different to these times.

Although I do also recall a small stream of what appeared to be sewage water that for years seemed to arrive at the beach near the Dusit corner and cut off a stretch towards the hotel. Also there were grills on Second Rd over a trench that sewage flowed down and that stank. 

But yeah, Pattaya was good times and looked like a town in the tropics, as opposed to the current concrete jungle. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 5:23 AM, carlyai said:

I was having a Margarita with Father Ray (now resting in heaven ) at the Pattaya Orphanage a while ago now.

He was telling of the time they used to row out into the bay and fish. The water was so clear you could see the sandy sea bottom. This is only going back 20 odd years, so 30 years ago ...

No it was not, the water in pattaya bay got destroyed when big hotels started popping up in the 1980s

On 1/14/2021 at 9:17 PM, roger101 said:

1983 first time here. Went for a swim and cut my foot open on broken glass. Haven't swum in the see at Pattaya Beach  since. Jomtien was OK  then but the last time I swum there i came out itching and rushed to the shower in Pattaya Park.

Did you feel like you were being bitten while in the water? If so it could have been sea lice.

I went to Pattaya in 1981. All the bars were in what is known now as Walking Street with no Ago-gos.

Most of the Sois off beach road were already laid down, but, no buildings yet, except for the Post Office.

The sea was clean and swimmable with only a few deck-chair vendors, though, even back then, you could still rent a jet-ski.

20 hours ago, Nout said:

Mobile phones certainly existed but they were less common. Coke dealers, city traders, band tour managers had mobile phones..about the size of a small house brick.

That is correct!  I had a pretty big brick too.  Got a smaller and lighter phone a few years later.  Then got a digital Motorola phone in 1995.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, carlyai said:

I was having a Margarita with Father Ray (now resting in heaven ) at the Pattaya Orphanage a while ago now.

He was telling of the time they used to row out into the bay and fish. The water was so clear you could see the sandy sea bottom. This is only going back 20 odd years, so 30 years ago ...

NO way. The whole beach area 20 odd years ago was highly polluted and nobody wanted to swim in hotel guests' excrements and other substances you would not want. 

Let's leave the bible at the church, please. 

On 1/14/2021 at 9:17 PM, roger101 said:

1983 first time here. Went for a swim and cut my foot open on broken glass. Haven't swum in the see at Pattaya Beach  since. Jomtien was OK  then but the last time I swum there i came out itching and rushed to the shower in Pattaya Park.

I remember parasailing off the beach in Pattaya in 1984. As I took off my foot hit a nail in a piece of wood in the water and blood was dripping down the whole time. 

The water was swimmable though, not like now, where you are swimming in a mix of seawater, farang turds, Chinese turds, Indian turds and Thai turds, as well as all the condoms and sperm from the short time rooms, and period blood. 

Upto my knees in Pattaya if it hasn’t rained for a week is about as much as I can take.

As a married family man ,Pattaya is a great place to live now ,as a single guy who came on his first visit nearly 30 years ago ,oh boy it was fanbloomintastic, i had no idea what sort of a holiday i was coming to ,as i had only been told about what it was like in Thailand by an ex boyfriend of my daughters,he had never been here so never told me about bars and the girls ,wow ,was it good ,200 baht short time ,500 baht all night and the girls were all young slim and pretty,as for the beach yes i was warned not to go into the water as the sewige pipes ran directly into the sea in the beach area, but hey ,who wanted to go to the bloomin beach anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

First came to Pattaya in 1981, I cannot remember the sea!

After 2-3 nights in Bangkok, followed by a few in Pattaya, I had to cut back and the rule was then 1st beer at sunset on the beach. So got familiar with the idea of there being sea.

I saw the beach on my first trip here in 1993. On my first day in Pattaya (which was after spending the first 3 days in Bangkok), I walked from my hotel in North Pattaya all the way down Beach Road, marvelling at all the bars/shops/restaurants along the way.

I recall walking past the (fake) Muay Thai match being held at a beer bar complex at the start of Walking Street, then another at the Marine Bar. Got to the Big Buddha tree and there didn't seem to be much of interest past that so I went back to the Marine Bar.

That's as close as I got to Pattaya Beach for the rest of the trip. Did go to the far end of Jomtien Beach once, to have supper at a restaurant where the road ended. (I recall wondering why the road just "ended" at that point but I was kind of distracted by other things so didn't give it much thought.) The restaurant had tables and chairs set up on the beach where they'd serve the meals.

Never tried the water at either place though, and not because of anything I'd heard. Just wasn't much of a "beach boy" in those days (or before then, or after for that matter) so I had no idea what the water was like. I saw people on the beaches but it wasn't crowded.