A unsolved mystery in life.....How is it possible to have ants in a high floor condo?

redwood1

Before this year I always lived in a 2nd or 3rd floor apartment in Pattaya......

Leave some food out for a few minutes and its swarming with ants in no time......

Ok the 2nd or 3rd floor is not much of a challenge for ants....

I thought when I moved to a new place on the 15th floor that would be it for the ants.............Wrong............I still have ants.......

How the heck can ants get up to the 15th floor?.......

How about you guys on a even higher floor like 20-25 do you have ants?.....

I will say the ants on the 15th floor are really tiny and not nearly as nasty as the 2nd and 3rd floor ants.....

14 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Dude.......you do realize that ants can fly don't you? And according to an entomologist friend they can also do spiderman impressions, aren't afraid of heights nor do they suffer altitude sickness.

Edited by UncleMhee

13 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I will say the ants on the 15th floor are really tiny and not nearly as nasty as the 2nd and 3rd floor ants.....

I get these same little ants that are quick to arrive to dropped food or a swatted fly. I am in a house and they both seem to find their way in and resist the monthly bug spraying I have done. I believe they live in the walls and I am resigned to the idea they will still be here when I am not.

• Like 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

I get these same little ants that are quick to arrive to dropped food or a swatted fly. I am in a house and they both seem to find their way in and resist the monthly bug spraying I have done. I believe they live in the walls and I am resigned to the idea they will still be here when I am not.

spraying wont kill the nest.

that's why you still have them, get an ant powder 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quake said:

I shall try these ARS Ant-Killer things with the little green plastic house to put the poison in... I usually reserve them for the red fire ants when I find a nest in the garden... a few bites from those give days of irritation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, quake said:

ARS (an American product) make a liquid that is honey-like in consistency. This is what you want to use. You put a few drops in their pathway.. After a few scouts find it the drops are encicircled by ants.

They will completely consume every drop. The "honey" is carried back to the nest and that's the end of your ant problem..

Those little ants are always trying to bite you.

• Like 2

I'm on 5th floor and get occasional visits from the very small ants. I use Raid ant powder around the balcony entrance and infested areas to stop them dead. Leave it a few days before washing away. Only seems an issue a few times per year.

20210114_094829.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

The good thing about ants is that they get rid of food debris that attracts cockroaches and other insects.

Yes I think my Mrs tolerates them as they do the cleaning up after me and she can focus on the TV soaps. 

37 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Before this year I always lived in a 2nd or 3rd floor apartment in Pattaya......

Leave some food out for a few minutes and its swarming with ants in no time......

I thought when I moved to a new place on the 15th floor that would be it for the ants.............Wrong............I still have ants.......

I've had them on the 18th floor of a condo. In proportion, they are probably doing the same as humans scaling a canyon wall. Only they don't fall off, or need pitons or ropes.

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I'm on the 21st floor and had them here.  It surprised me too LOL!  Not really that bad, but bad enough to be annoying. 

I use a chinese brand of ant bait that I bought on Lazada that's really effective.  It's the granular kind that you just sprinkle in the corner of counters / floors, just a tiny bit.  The ants get it on their legs, bring it back to their nests, and in a day or two...no more ants ???? Works like magic!  I think it's just boric acid, as most ant baits are made of, but it's cheap and does the job.

1325737008_snapshot_2021-01-14at10_01_24AM.jpg.91c93147826b850eabd295f28bd80557.jpg

What is nice though about being on a high floor is I get almost no flying insects so I'm able to leave my sliding doors to the deck open 24/7 which is pretty nice.  My electric bill is about half what it used to be when I lived on a low floor since I rarely use AirCon now.  It might just be because I am seaside and it's always pretty breezy up this high so they have trouble flying at these lofty altitudes ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

They seem to climb [in lines] near effortlessly and quickly... and they communicate really well too... fascinating creatures... 

Yes, my Mrs is obsessive about swatting flies, and within 2 minutes one that has felt her wrath is being hoisted off down the terrace to wherever these little well organized guys are based. 

Given that we are never more than about 1m from a spider. I makes sense we are no more than a short distance from ants or any other creepy crawly. 

A mate of mine replace the wooden parquet floor in his condo. (eaten by termites) and he is on the 23rd floor in BKK. 

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

A mate of mine replace the wooden parquet floor in his condo. (eaten by termites) and he is on the 23rd floor in BKK. 

But termites fly!

Got me in my old place, I figure they got in through a sink overflow that went through a wall and my long kitchen top and all the cupboards and doors were slowly eaten away from the inside out.