Education Ministry to decide when kids can return to school,  says MOPH official

webfact

Education Ministry to decide when kids can return to school,  says MOPH official

school.jpg

FILE PHOTO for reference only

The question as to when children will be allowed to go back to school is on the minds not just of children but parents having to look after children at home and come to terms with online learning and more child-care. 

In a video featuring Jakrarat Pithayawonganon the question was posed: When will kids go back as normal?

No immediate answer was forthcoming though Jakrarat said it would be like the first wave when children were off school. They would return when infections had lessened or stabilized and it was deemed safe to do so. 

Once restrictions were eased it would be up to the Education Ministry how to proceed but any opening would unlikely be a blanket measure nationwide. 

More likely it would depend on the pandemic situation in each place as to whether schools were allowed to open there. 

That said, as before protocols such as social distancing and cleaning would be in place in schools. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-14

Having taught here for over 17 years I can say that many parents must be biting their fingernails. For the working parents it must be a logistic nightmare. For the parents who can't afford it upgrading their computers and internet must be near impossible. For teachers, it is not all that great too. 

However, when in Uni 20 some years ago a professor once told me that one day school would be taught via the internet. I was upset at this yet seems that his words were a prophecy of things yet to come. 

I believe that online learning is the future and that until it is tweaked society will go through a weening phase...

Who knows, maybe the roles of grandparents sent to old folks will be redefined and our seniors will find a new place rather than live in abandonment and once again they can become as in Thailand and in many Asian countries helpers in the rearing of family's children.

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I believe that online learning is the future and that until it is tweaked society will go through a weening phase...

poor kids who have to grow through this tweaking of the system. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Having taught here for over 17 years I can say that many parents must be biting their fingernails. For the working parents it must be a logistic nightmare. For the parents who can't afford it upgrading their computers and internet must be near impossible. For teachers, it is not all that great too. 

However, when in Uni 20 some years ago a professor once told me that one day school would be taught via the internet. I was upset at this yet seems that his words were a prophecy of things yet to come. 

Who knows, maybe the roles of grandparents sent to old folks will be redefined and our seniors will find a new place rather than live in abandonment and once again they can become as in Thailand and in many Asian countries helpers in the rearing of family's children.

I am one such parents and I can see the vision of your professor. It is kind of nice having a nice relaxed breakfast and then 2 minutes later school is on. 

No school run and 30 minutes wasted in traffic.

That said, online learning is a waste of time and there is zero social interaction among the kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Why are they closed across the country when there're only a few red zones.

Agree with this my province saw 3 recorded cases during the 1st wave and only 1 during this wave, but yet all schools are closed for the remainder of the month to align with the red zones. As Bangkok students have to suffer closures, it would appear that everywhere else must do so as well to ensure that the learning gap is not closed up.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That said, online learning is a waste of time and there is zero social interaction among the kids.

My kids are in nursery and have the attention span of a goldfish at that age. Looking at a screen is one of the most boring things possible for them unless it Peppa Pig. 

This type of learning works well at later ages: i did huge amounts of learning for certifications aged 25-30 and it worked perfectly next to working fulltime, but pre-university its mostly a waste of time.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My lads have been back at school since 4th January up in Udon.

I guess it's time for (another) map of schools closed versus schools open?

Seems Phitsanulok school kick off again next Monday 18th.

Edited by Artisi

7 hours ago, webfact said:

They should be back in school now learning an education.. of sorts!

They say kids are not safe at school in large numbers, but they're tested on arrival, during the day, told to sanitise and keep clean all day.

The alternative is to tell them to stay away and roam all over the place at home, shops, malls, markets even in groups with friends etc etc... could catch anything...

better off at school IMHO

15 hours ago, Artisi said:

Seems Phitsanulok school kick off again next Monday 18th.

Same here in Surin province (at least that is the date given in Prasat) I am overjoyed, all my 13 yr old son does is play games on his laptop all day, occasionally he will get homework to do via his android phone but that's it.