Uncertainty over availability of COVID-19 vaccinations for expats in Thailand

webfact

I`m from the UK and currently as things stand I can`t get in without a vaccine. My only option will be to spend a night in Ireland I`m thinking. Not too worried right now but do have to go back for a few weeks in June.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ardsong said:

it is in general believed that if 70% of the population is immune or protected for a disease, the chances to create a pandemy  are gone.

True. The more you limit the virus from spreading it just simply has nowhere to go and "dies off". As you say, that`s around 70%. It doesn`t mean the virus necessarily vanishes, but an epidemic or pandemic is unlikely. That being said, Moderna says their vaccine could only have a 1 year effectiveness. Meaning, the virus potentially may live among us centuries or even indefinitely and a future epidemic/pandemic may still occur if people aren`t continuing to vaccinate themselves yearly, unless we get a vaccine that lasts significantly longer than just 1 year.

13 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Thailand still has not managed to secure sufficient vaccines for its own citizens. Expats are unlikely to be able to secure a covid vaccine privately in Thailand this year as all vaccines are in short supply. This is one of the perils of living abroad

I disagree.

There was a report I believe yesterday that private entities can obtain approved vaccines on their own.

The private hospitals I bet will offer these at a cost of course.

But, some thai people I assume will not want to pay the probable high cost for this treatment.

Edited by bkk6060

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Expats who work in Thailand and pay into the social security system may be eligible for a vaccination but the situation is yet to be clarified by the Thai government.

So why post some unfounded, purely speculative comment, especially with out attribution? 

10 minutes ago, PGSan said:

So all the more available for us lucky guys.  Thanks! 

Lucky you considering all the vaccine scandals in China recently. There`s a reason why people don`t want the Sinovac vaccine, in case you wasn`t aware, not even the Chinese wants it, hence why they travel to other countries for vaccines. But lucky you, you can probably even be one of the first to get the Sinovac vaccine if you want.

25 minutes ago, ardsong said:

I think that after the Thai have been vaccinated for 80+%, the small number of farangs do not need any vaccination anymore as the 70+% injection rate for herd immunity has been passed already!

Quite likely, after all this forum has been saying for long enough that there are huge numbers of undisclosed infections, herd immunity must already exist.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

They can say Private hospitals can purchase the Covid vaccine that's approved but who will sell it to them? Small amounts? I doubt the company's making the vaccines will sell to anyone else other than governments. 

they would be buying up to 50-60k per each bangkok hospital.

Each hospital has network, branches around bangkok and even in provinces.

So between 4 already mentioned hospitals they can buy up to 240k vax. Once approved by the government they can import them. There might be many more hospitals for fast sale and large profits, so they might buy hundreds thousands more.

Of course, if the government ordered them and in large quantity, say 2.4 - 24 mln, price would be much different. Producers do know, that private hospitals in thailand do have very large profit. The earlier hospital, which was barred by the government from buying 10k vax, wanted 500% mark up

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicken George said:

They can say Private hospitals can purchase the Covid vaccine that's approved but who will sell it to them? Small amounts? I doubt the company's making the vaccines will sell to anyone else other than governments. 

10`s of thousands of private hospitals and clinics around the world buying hundreds or perhaps even thousands of vaccines each? I don`t think you should underestimate the profits here. We`re talking billions of dollars. Definitely a market these pharmaceutical companies already are fighting over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine vaccination will be a part of a new visa requirement , 'so get it or go home' will be the new immigration mantra. 

It's hard to get a vaccination that isn't available to foreigners. Why don't they look a small child in the eyes and say sorry but we're kicking your dad out for not having something we won't give him. Wouldn't happen in the Uk or USA

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

So there will be 60 million vaccines for the Thais but the 200,000 vaccines for the expats no have.

You`ll need 400,000 as everyone need two.

30 million Thais are getting it by this year and they`re aiming at a total of 70% of the population by the end of next year. How long the effectiveness of the vaccine lasts is unknown. Some might have to get revaccinated next year if it only last a year, as Moderna has said might be the effectiveness of their vaccine.

25 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

India is selling it soon.  Thailand will have it's factory up and running soon.  And they'll be selling internally and externally.

Be patient.  Read the news.

• Like 1