Uncertainty over availability of COVID-19 vaccinations for expats in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Thailand has authorized importation of approved vaccine by private hospitals (when there is an approval) so it should be available for those who can afford.

Yes. As there are a significant number of non-Thais in the country, to allow non-Thais to mix freely would certainly encourage the virus to spread -- vaccination for the ''chosen'' people will not be completed in a couple of weeks -- it will take many months!  During this period the ''non-chosen'' people will still be ''mingling''!

The vaccine should be made available to non-Thais in private clinics or hospitals -- for a price!

In the meantime, all visitors to the Kingdom should only be permitted to enter if they prove they have had a valid vaccination (the 2 required shots) evidence taken under the time-effectiveness of that particular virus thus avoiding the quarantine requirement.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, at15 said:

This is complete fear mongering nonsense. The WTTC said the other day that its discrimination and not necessary. The CEO of AirAsia backed up these statements.  No country is going to want to kill its travel industry. Personally i would never in a million years consider injecting any "covid" vaccine.

You can't be serious.  You can't be living here.

You don't want a jab when they are proven.

And, you believe no country is going to want to kill its travel industry.

Not getting vaccinated is pure ignorance at its most.  And, the tourist industry has been in decline since 2014.  It's not wanted.  But, it isn't politically correct to say so.  So, make everything as difficult and unappealing as possible.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Exactly. I think this thread is just stirring up worry for no reason. 

If an expat can’t afford a covid shot, they shouldn’t be in Thailand. I am sure the 800,000 for retirement visa or 400,000 for marriage visa money will more than cover it. 
if they are on a working visa that will also cover it. 
Some will expect it for free I am sure.

I am happy to wait my turn and do whatever the thai authorities ask us to do. Give it to the frontline health workers first, then all the oldies and fat people.

If they require us all to eventually vaccinated then we will, it is their country, their rules. 

And they have been very successful handling it, much better than western countries, so we are not really in the position to start complaining and telling them how to handle it. 

I am sure some will. They then have to make a choice. Do what Anutin tells us to do or find some other country to live in.

Why so bitter? 

Edited by kamahele
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Thailand has authorized importation of approved vaccine by private hospitals (when there is an approval) so it should be available for those who can afford.

From what I've read the vaccine must be approved by the home country FDA and the Thai FDA.

Does anyone have any idea which vaccines have been approved by the Thai FDA? I ask because a week or two ago the private hospital attempting to get pre-orders for the Moderna vaccine had the program shut down because the Moderna vaccine was not approved by the Thai FDA, despite being approved by the home country FDA.

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

India is selling it soon.  Thailand will have it's factory up and running soon.  And they'll be selling internally and externally.

Be patient.  Read the news.

COVAXIN (Bharat Biotech) is in its testing phase. No data released yet on its effectiveness. That being said, India is a very respected country when it comes to science and medical stuff, so I`m hopeful.

Just now, HOAX said:

COVAXIN (Bharat Biotech) is in its testing phase. No data released yet on its effectiveness. That being said, India is a very respected country when it comes to science and medical stuff, so I`m hopeful.

Both India and Thailand are producing the AZ jab, under licensing agreements.  I'm sure both will be OK.  So far, very few are having adverse reactions to the jab, other than some pain in the arm and a flu like conditions for a day or so.  Can't wait to get mine!!

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

I will wait and see if the "herd" has any negative effects from a vaccine before taking it. The "Lone Wolf" strategy vs "the herd" has been a viable option for thousands of years.

I've had no concerns about this virus right from the early days. There's been a 'buffer zone' around me that has never been less than 70kms. Once the returnees from down south had settled into the area without mishap, I ceased worrying altogether.

I'll not be rushing around trying to get myself vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

bangkok is not in a red zone, but samut prakan was included just a few days ago (this province is almost part od bangkok, bkk airport is there).

thailand has ordered 2mln of sinovac, not just 1mln.

those 2mln would be enough for front line workers and vulnerable (I do think that would include also foreigners, just matter of registering with local health authorities as soon as possible).

For a working expat, earning on an average 50k/month, a few thousands baht for atrazeneca and sinovac or up to 10k for pfizer is really nothing. It would allow to jump and escape the third wave, before employers and the government allow them to get free one.

at least 4 private hospitals in bangkok are trying to get up to 50k vax each, so it should be enough for a while.

Even if expensive for some pensioners, their insurance might cover at least part of expenses    

I do not think there is any uncertainty at all!  Farangs will get the vaccine at the local private hospital for whatever price they can gouge!  I suspect that it will be in the 10k baht range.  The private hospitals are desperate for funds since tourism has been halted.  The usual Thai way to handle a shortage of business is to raise prices.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Both India and Thailand are producing the AZ jab, under licensing agreements.  I'm sure both will be OK.  So far, very few are having adverse reactions to the jab, other than some pain in the arm and a flu like conditions for a day or so.  Can't wait to get mine!!

I thought you were talking about the COVAXIN (the Indian Vaccine). Yes the AstraZeneca is most likely the one I`ll be taking as well unless Pfizer will be available here by then, which is unlikely. AZ`s own data as of now shows it has an 68% effectiveness, which is normal for a vaccine. Pfizer and Moderna currently shows 90%, though it`s likely to decrees some when they release more data.

2 minutes ago, HOAX said:

I thought you were talking about the COVAXIN (the Indian Vaccine). Yes the AstraZeneca is most likely the one I`ll be taking as well unless Pfizer will be available here by then, which is unlikely. AZ`s own data as of now shows it has an 68% effectiveness, which is normal for a vaccine. Pfizer and Moderna currently shows 90%, though it`s likely to decrees some when they release more data.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-55571793

At the moment, there are two vaccines approved in India - Covishield (the local name for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine developed in the UK), and one called Covaxin.

There are others undergoing trials, which are also being produced in India.

Indian pharmaceutical companies were reported in recent months to be ramping up production by adding new facilities or converting existing production lines.

The biggest producer, the Serum Institute of India (SII), says it can already turn out between 60 and 70 million vaccine doses a month.

From what I've read, there are some 200+ jabs under development.  Even the ones out today, are going to change in relatively short order.  They're trying to get to only one jab, and not require such cold temps for the Pfizer one.

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

From what I've read, there are some 200+ jabs under development.  Even the ones out today, are going to change in relatively short order.  They're trying to get to only one jab, and not require such cold temps for the Pfizer one.

Thats good news as the Pfizer one requires -70c and only has a few days before expiring. I wasn`t aware that it was that many vaccines under way, but that`s good news. It gives higher odds for good ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldPedro said:

I guess the dual pricing principle will apply.....free for Thais, but mega baht for foreigners!

Probably not. However private hospitals are more likely to set the price up as they`re likely to be buying it more expensive due to lower quantities, export methods etc, unless the gov`t sets a cap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine vaccination will be a part of a new visa requirement , 'so get it or go home' will be the new immigration mantra. 

Not unlike other countries so no reason to believe otherwise ... :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Money always talked loudest in the land. While some foreigners were charged upto five digit amounts for a Covid-19 test, Cambodia is doing them upon arrival for all those without a negative test paper for a mere USD 30. 

You want a vaccination, you get it - just a matter of price. On top of that, not everyone wants to be vaccinated; let's cross that particular bridge once we get there, will we? 

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

If an expat can’t afford a covid shot, they shouldn’t be in Thailand. I am sure the 800,000 for retirement visa or 400,000 for marriage visa money will more than cover it. 

I am happy to wait my turn and do whatever the thai authorities ask us to do. Give it to the frontline health workers first, then all the oldies and fat people.

If they require us all to eventually vaccinated then we will, it is their country, their rules. 

And they have been very successful handling it, much better than western countries, so we are not really in the position to start complaining and telling them how to handle it. 

I am sure some will. They then have to make a choice. Do what Anutin tells us to do or find some other country to live in.

"Do what Anutin tells us to do or find some other country to live in."

Well done! First  one today from the "If you don't like it go home" club 

First one today

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

If it's about 1,000 baht - like a flu shot - then fair enough. If it's 5k or 10k, then it's blatant profiteering.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bwanajohn said:

I live in a small village in the the mountains in the north of Thailand .Both my wife and I are farang.

The first winter we were here they (local govt reps) showed up with free new blankets for us . I politely ask them to give them to another family as we had enough already. Last year at the begining of the covid thing two guys from local govt showed up with syringes and a chilly bin full of vaccine vials. I was a bit freaked out until I realised  it was  rabies vaccine for any pets . At the time we had none. They didn't mention anything about money so I cant say whether it was free or not but that was the impression I had. Two years ago i had a Kidney stone episode went to the local hospital threw up all over the bed in the day room they put me . Was x rayed had a doctors consult and given the option of either Diclofenac or an opiate based pain killer. Because of my age they recommended the opiate based pain killer but because I have no compromised liver or kidney function took the diclofenac injection. My brother and his son are both doctors in Canada and this was spot on medical procedure according to them. (wasn't my first time with a kidney stone so i knew the drill) The bill was less than 500 baht

This is my 37th winter in Thailand.. reading the Thai visa posts from members I sometime wonder if I live in another country...my experience of thai people bears no relation to what i read here

The haters have most likely never set foot in thailand and if so not been outside the entertainment venues .... :thumbsup:

Political morons. At one time they have to understand that it is a word wide pandemi going on and that it is the politicians all over the word that have let it go on. If you in a country not give all the people living there free  vaccin there will always be some how refuse. What you do with them? Regardless if they are thais or farangs? Kick them out or just let them be? A vaccin taken two times does not help forever. So if you want a Covid free country you have to understand that you have to give the vaccin free for all living in the country.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bwanajohn said:

I live in a small village in the the mountains in the north of Thailand .Both my wife and I are farang.

The first winter we were here they (local govt reps) showed up with free new blankets for us . I politely ask them to give them to another family as we had enough already. Last year at the begining of the covid thing two guys from local govt showed up with syringes and a chilly bin full of vaccine vials. I was a bit freaked out until I realised  it was  rabies vaccine for any pets . At the time we had none. They didn't mention anything about money so I cant say whether it was free or not but that was the impression I had. Two years ago i had a Kidney stone episode went to the local hospital threw up all over the bed in the day room they put me . Was x rayed had a doctors consult and given the option of either Diclofenac or an opiate based pain killer. Because of my age they recommended the opiate based pain killer but because I have no compromised liver or kidney function took the diclofenac injection. My brother and his son are both doctors in Canada and this was spot on medical procedure according to them. (wasn't my first time with a kidney stone so i knew the drill) The bill was less than 500 baht

This is my 37th winter in Thailand.. reading the Thai visa posts from members I sometime wonder if I live in another country...my experience of thai people bears no relation to what i read here

Nice post. I live in Bangkok just meters from Immigration. My experience with Thai people, including doctors and medical staff over 35 odd years is much the same as yours. Everywhere has good and bad,  but considering national income, I've been quite surprised by many doctors here.

My impression is the doctors here have better patient experience and intuition compared to say Singapore (where I also lived) where doctors rely on expensive machines and testing.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

1. For three months and then spent on living expenses 

2. If they are vulnerable it might be time to return to the safety net of their home country.

I'd like to know what you define as vulnerability. What do you think is a reasonable price for a vaccine that costs $3 to manufacture?

BTW, I don't spend any of the 800K. Been that way for 7 years.