Uncertainty over availability of COVID-19 vaccinations for expats in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

And some charge ฿400

Sounds like you’re going to the wrong hospital.

The last time I saw a doctor in Los Angeles (gastroenterologist), for a 10 minute (mostly useless) consultation, I was billed $850 (฿25,500).  I count my blessings to have affordable healthcare here in Thailand.

I don't use private hospitals but BKK hosp international clinic do so I've been told. The US is not relevant.

30 minutes ago, joe jadore said:

Its real cost is in the 2/3 to 5$ range, so even if we have to pay 30/50 $ it's not a big deal, calm down and be grateful for once the Thai Gov has done a good job so far re Covid our LOW numbers are outstandingly GREAT for a population of 69 million, compared to the rest of the world. 

Of course the first vaccine will be free or cheap .....But you can be sure the price will keep going up a lot  with future jabs.....A new vax could be needed every 6 months to a year...Even the vax makers admit this....We have been hearing about new strains a lot....

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't use private hospitals but BKK hosp international clinic do so I've been told. The US is not relevant.

If you use government hospitals (as can the other complainers), then the price of the most expensive hospital in Thailand isn’t relevant either.

8 hours ago, HOAX said:

Lucky you considering all the vaccine scandals in China recently. There`s a reason why people don`t want the Sinovac vaccine, in case you wasn`t aware, not even the Chinese wants it, hence why they travel to other countries for vaccines. But lucky you, you can probably even be one of the first to get the Sinovac vaccine if you want.

I doubt anyone has traveled to another country to get the vaccine.

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Of course the first vaccine will be free or cheap .....But you can be sure the price will keep going up a lot  with future jabs.....A new vax could be needed every 6 months to a year...Even the vax makers admit this....We have been hearing about new strains a lot....

It would be no different than annual flu shots.  Maybe even incorporated into that.  I believe the annual flu shot currently protects you from new strains of last big pandemic which was the spanish flu.

Edited by shdmn

10 hours ago, HOAX said:

I think the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine`s effectiveness will be adjust to a lower number than 90% when more data is available, but if it actually is around 90%, I hope Thailand will be making some effort in securing these vaccines.

I supposed you are talking about this article by a University of Maryland associate professor who is also a British Medical Journal associate editor?

Peter Doshi: Pfizer and Moderna’s “95% effective” vaccines—we need more details and the raw data

With 20 times more suspected than confirmed cases, this category of disease cannot be ignored simply because there was no positive PCR test result. Indeed this makes it all the more urgent to understand. A rough estimate of vaccine efficacy against developing covid-19 symptoms, with or without a positive PCR test result, would be a relative risk reduction of 19% (see footnote)—far below the 50% effectiveness threshold for authorization set by regulators. Even after removing cases occurring within 7 days of vaccination (409 on Pfizer’s vaccine vs. 287 on placebo), which should include the majority of symptoms due to short-term vaccine reactogenicity, vaccine efficacy remains low: 29% (see footnote).

Footnote

Calculations in this article are as follows:  19% = 1 – (8+1594)/(162+1816); 29% = 1 – (8 + 1594 – 409)/(162 + 1816 – 287). I ignored denominators as they are similar between groups.

19% to 29% efficacy rate is definitely too low to be approved, so Pfizer/BioNTech must provide more data.

Every ex-pat who lives here knows that the Thai government gives us absolutely nothing free, so why would they give us the covid vaccine for free, the answer is when it is available in private hospitals if you want one you'll have to pay for it.  

Also the Thai government has not purchased enough vaccine to vaccinate its own citizens, so what chance have ex-pats of getting one. 

31 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Every ex-pat who lives here knows that the Thai government gives us absolutely nothing free, so why would they give us the covid vaccine for free, the answer is when it is available in private hospitals if you want one you'll have to pay for it.  

Also the Thai government has not purchased enough vaccine to vaccinate its own citizens, so what chance have ex-pats of getting one. 

I would say there is a good chance of expats getting a vaccine early for a price.  What you may not have a good chance of getting early are one of the western ones.  You will probably only be able to get the Russian or Chinese ones early on after they are approved for use by the Thai FDA and you will probably have to pay dearly for it.  That's my guess anyways. 

I could be wrong but I think the license terms for the western vaccines is that you cannot try profit from them.  They have to be sold at cost.   I don't think the Chinese or Russian ones have those sorts of terms.

Edited by shdmn

If the vaccine does not stop you contracting and transmitting the virus, which both Phizer and Mod has stated, well what is the point in taking it, also by what I read here it will be two years before they vaccinate the Thai people judging by there figures, meaning the 14 day quarantine looks like it won't end soon. People have it in their head that once they are vaccinated they can roam freely, but this is not the case from what the medical Doctors are saying. 

RE the Chinese vaccine... Im looking forward to seeing people among the Thai leadership taking this vaccine!! Haha... good one. It will not happen. They will wait for AstraZeneca.

About expats... Really, who gives a s* here about us?? But if you cough up at least 5 or 6k baht, they will be glad to vaccinate us.

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

bangkok is not in a red zone, but samut prakan was included just a few days ago (this province is almost part od bangkok, bkk airport is there).

thailand has ordered 2mln of sinovac, not just 1mln.

those 2mln would be enough for front line workers and vulnerable (I do think that would include also foreigners, just matter of registering with local health authorities as soon as possible).

For a working expat, earning on an average 50k/month, a few thousands baht for atrazeneca and sinovac or up to 10k for pfizer is really nothing. It would allow to jump and escape the third wave, before employers and the government allow them to get free one.

at least 4 private hospitals in bangkok are trying to get up to 50k vax each, so it should be enough for a while.

Even if expensive for some pensioners, their insurance might cover at least part of expenses    

The Chinese vaccine (Sinovac) is reported as 50% effective and I wonder if this is considered adequate.

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sure. Free to all Thai citizens. Who are you talking about who can't afford a life saving jab at some 6k to 10k Baht?

This is about a national crisis, not about who can or cannot afford a vaccine, if they can afford to go to the moon or spend billions on submarines they don't need the can afford to inoculate the entire population irrespective of nationals or not.. if you live here on a permanent visa ie married or retired or similar then it should be free for all.

Why should the government off-set the cost onto the public who are already struggling?

19 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I am sure the 800,000 for retirement visa or 400,000 for marriage visa money will more than cover it.

Are you saying that the money for a vaccination should come out of my 800,000 so dropping it below that amount and invalidating my extension?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marcel woods said:

If the vaccine does not stop you contracting and transmitting the virus, which both Phizer and Mod has stated, well what is the point in taking it, also by what I read here it will be two years before they vaccinate the Thai people judging by there figures, meaning the 14 day quarantine looks like it won't end soon. People have it in their head that once they are vaccinated they can roam freely, but this is not the case from what the medical Doctors are saying. 

the point in taking it is so you don't end up in an ICU with a tube jammed down your throat.  We'll still have to social distance and wear masks for a bit, but that's better than ending up in the ICU.

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

This is about a national crisis, not about who can or cannot afford a vaccine, if they can afford to go to the moon or spend billions on submarines they don't need the can afford to inoculate the entire population irrespective of nationals or not.. if you live here on a permanent visa ie married or retired or similar then it should be free for all.

Why should the government off-set the cost onto the public who are already struggling?

It's a global crisis.  I live here on a retirement visa and pay NOTHING towards Thai taxes.  Why should they jab me for free?  I can get the jab for free in my home country, but not here.  It make sense!  And in the end, it's not going to be that expensive and local hospitals will be doing the jabs for us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Exactly. I think this thread is just stirring up worry for no reason. 

If an expat can’t afford a covid shot, they shouldn’t be in Thailand. I am sure the 800,000 for retirement visa or 400,000 for marriage visa money will more than cover it. 
if they are on a working visa that will also cover it. 
Some will expect it for free I am sure.

I am happy to wait my turn and do whatever the thai authorities ask us to do. Give it to the frontline health workers first, then all the oldies and fat people.

If they require us all to eventually vaccinated then we will, it is their country, their rules. 

And they have been very successful handling it, much better than western countries, so we are not really in the position to start complaining and telling them how to handle it. 

I am sure some will. They then have to make a choice. Do what Anutin tells us to do or find some other country to live in.

Thank you Adolf. We all should be grateful to fork out money to enrich pharmaceutical corporations so that they can inject experimental chemicals or bio-agents into our bodies without our consent.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I bet by next month the major private hospitals will have some vaccine program.

Hopefully, the good ones not from China.

I asked my friend who is VP of a private hospital here in Bangkok about this and he told me they are looking at March/ April timeframe for Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's a global crisis.  I live here on a retirement visa and pay NOTHING towards Thai taxes.  Why should they jab me for free?  I can get the jab for free in my home country, but not here.  It make sense!  And in the end, it's not going to be that expensive and local hospitals will be doing the jabs for us.

Admitting to illegally evading taxes is one thing. but saying everyone else should be forced to pay money for something they do not want is another thing altogether.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Thank you Adolf. We all should be grateful to fork out money to enrich pharmaceutical corporations so that they can inject experimental chemicals or bio-agents into our bodies without our consent.

Yeah, chemicals that save millions of lives every year.  How dare they do that!

• Like 1

Just now, Time Traveller said:

Admitting to illegally avoiding taxes is one thing. but saying everyone else should be forced to pay money for something they do not want is another thing altogether.

I don't work here, don't have investments, don't make money.  So, don't have to pay taxes.  Got it?

Only anti-vaxx'ers don't want a jab.  And those who can't take it for medical reasons.  A vast majority of us want the jab.  And you won't be forced.  Nobody has said that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I don't work here, don't have investments, don't make money.  So, don't have to pay taxes.  Got it?

Only anti-vaxx'ers don't want a jab.  And those who can't take it for medical reasons.  A vast majority of us want the jab.  And you won't be forced.  Nobody has said that.

You have a very simplistic view of the world. There are more forms of taxes than just income taxes (of which very few Thai people - around 10% - actually pay). There are fuel taxes, car taxes, sales taxes. excise duties, other transportation licensing fees and levies, alcohol and tobacco taxes, and so on. You live in Thailand, then you're probably paying a lot of taxes.

And it's not just anti-vaxxers that are opposed to this experiment. There's a reason that every single vaccine has needed an "emergency law" provision to legally start vaccinating people, because these could never be licensed under the existing stringent FDA laws that protect people.  And why do you think that western governments throughout the world have given the Big Pharma both civil and criminal immunity in cases of problems associated with these vaccine ?   

But go ahead. You be the guinea pig. Think I'll wait a few years first.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Everytime you buy something in Thailand that is subject to VAT you are paying Thai tax.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Exactly. I think this thread is just stirring up worry for no reason. 

If an expat can’t afford a covid shot, they shouldn’t be in Thailand. I am sure the 800,000 for retirement visa or 400,000 for marriage visa money will more than cover it. 
if they are on a working visa that will also cover it. 
Some will expect it for free I am sure.

I am happy to wait my turn and do whatever the thai authorities ask us to do. Give it to the frontline health workers first, then all the oldies and fat people.

If they require us all to eventually vaccinated then we will, it is their country, their rules. 

And they have been very successful handling it, much better than western countries, so we are not really in the position to start complaining and telling them how to handle it. 

I am sure some will. They then have to make a choice. Do what Anutin tells us to do or find some other country to live in.

Hilarious 

I have no doubt in my mind at all that when it comes time for me to need or want this, then I will be able to go and buy it - money tends to resolve all sorts of problems over here.   I'd be more than a bit ashamed to get something for free in this country anyway as I do not pay tax here and besides, when you buy something you tend to get a choice of what you want.   

Firstly these people are far to slow. They also acquired the cheapest rubbish they could buy. The Chinese gear is <deleted>. The Oxford production l wouldnt count on. Like the Philippines Thailand never used there brains and got behind the leading people. There own leaders who push cheap Chinese <deleted> are using Astrazeneca and Pfizer. Prayut failed to fall into line and support the brains of the globe. Now Thais are left hanging and tourism and normal life damaged with further delay due to incompetence. As a foreigner you should return to your own country to receive a quality vaccine and be registered with the vaccine in your home country.

42 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I live here on a retirement visa and pay NOTHING towards Thai taxes.  Why should they jab me for free?

Actually you pay the same 7% tax as everyone else.  And for many Thai that will be all they pay.  I don't believe that entitles us to free treatment however.  But this is an  international pandemic so believe many countries will be providing on sight rather than requiring a nationality statement.  Years ago my Thai wife had flu shot in USA with me at no cost so it is not unusual.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

You have a very simplistic view of the world. There are more forms of taxes than just income taxes (of which very few Thai people - around 10% - actually pay). There are fuel taxes, car taxes, sales taxes. excise duties, other transportation licensing fees and levies, alcohol and tobacco taxes, and so on. You live in Thailand, then you're probably paying a lot of taxes.

And it's not just anti-vaxxers that are opposed to this experiment. There's a reason that every single vaccine has needed an "emergency law" provision to legally start vaccinating people, because these could never be licensed under the existing stringent FDA laws that protect people.  And why do you think that western governments throughout the world have given the Big Pharma both civil and criminal immunity in cases of problems associated with these vaccine ?   

But go ahead. You be the guinea pig. Think I'll wait a few years first.

Ummm....I'm a former tax accountant.  So understand taxes quite well. LOL.

Right now, 70% or so are OK with getting the jab.  30% aren't. Some of those are anti-vaxx'ers, some are influenced by the lies they peddle.

Millions have already been jabbed.  So I'll hardly be a guinea pig. 

14 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Everytime you buy something in Thailand that is subject to VAT you are paying Thai tax.

Understood.  But not everything is subject to VAT.  Most small businesses are just cash only...and I doubt most pay any tax.