Uncertainty over availability of COVID-19 vaccinations for expats in Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually you pay the same 7% tax as everyone else.  And for many Thai that will be all they pay.  I don't believe that entitles us to free treatment however.  But this is an  international pandemic so believe many countries will be providing on sight rather than requiring a nationality statement.  Years ago my Thai wife had flu shot in USA with me at no cost so it is not unusual.

I guess that's what I was thinking.  If you work here, and pay taxes on your salary, I think you also get access to the national health care services?  IMHO, that should permit you to get a free jab.

For someone like me, who's only here a few months out of the year, why should they jab me for free?  And my wife doesn't work...so can't take that route.  Sadly!! LOL

6 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Every ex-pat who lives here knows that the Thai government gives us absolutely nothing free,

Why do some feel compelled to make outrageous false statements.

If you haven't had anything free, why assume that applies to everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

There's a reason that every single vaccine has needed an "emergency law" provision to legally start vaccinating people, because these could never be licensed under the existing stringent FDA laws that protect people. 

"Britain, Canada and the US authorized the vaccine to be used according to emergency provisions,"

"Switzerland became the first country Saturday to authorize the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine according to the normal licensing procedure. EMA approval also follows the regular process, only on an accelerated schedule,

https://www.timesofisrael.com/eu-regulator-gives-conditional-approval-to-pfizer-vaccine/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, at15 said:

This is complete fear mongering nonsense. The WTTC said the other day that its discrimination and not necessary. The CEO of AirAsia backed up these statements.  No country is going to want to kill its travel industry. Personally i would never in a million years consider injecting any "covid" vaccine.

Jeesh, sounded like the voice of reason there at the start. What about a polio vaccination? Or how about Chickenpox, Diphtheria. Flu or Hepatitis? 

Unfortunately there isn't a stupidity vaccine. 

Thank Buddha for vaccines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

This is about a national crisis, not about who can or cannot afford a vaccine, if they can afford to go to the moon or spend billions on submarines they don't need the can afford to inoculate the entire population irrespective of nationals or not.. if you live here on a permanent visa ie married or retired or similar then it should be free for all.

Why should the government off-set the cost onto the public who are already struggling?

The Gov change their minds every single day, as seen on here, repeatedly! Our opinions are irrelevant. I'm "super" healthy and only associate with dogs and like Thai's. I live here to avoid whinging farangs! By hook or by crook I will get the Astra jab when its available. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine vaccination will be a part of a new visa requirement , 'so get it or go home' will be the new immigration mantra. 

It probably would, but I can see agents getting involved and doing it more cheaply in cahoots with the IO offices.

21 hours ago, at15 said:

This is complete fear mongering nonsense. The WTTC said the other day that its discrimination and not necessary. The CEO of AirAsia backed up these statements.  No country is going to want to kill its travel industry. Personally i would never in a million years consider injecting any "covid" vaccine.

"No country is going to want to kill its travel industry."  What?? :cheesy: :cheesy: The unelected "PM" and his generals were already killing it's travel industry a good while before Covid arrived.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I would pay NOT to have it, hopefully Khaosan Road will come up with some classy looking “Covid Vaccine” Certificate ????

Good! I hope they do. Khaosan Road has done me well in the past. :cheesy:

20 hours ago, Chicken George said:

They can say Private hospitals can purchase the Covid vaccine that's approved but who will sell it to them? Small amounts? I doubt the company's making the vaccines will sell to anyone else other than governments. 

Like any other company,  the companies making the vaccine will supply to whoever offers them the most money, hospitals, governments. We are living in a capitalist world.

18 hours ago, barney42bb said:

Expats can always go back to their country of birthright and obtain the vaccine,as and when...

Well at least the ones sensible enough to have retained a bolthole there...And not sold all their assets.

"Expats can always go back to their country of birthright and obtain the vaccine,as and when..."  

But what if the vaccine is required before they can get on the plane back to their country of birthright?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Expats can always go back to their country of birthright and obtain the vaccine,as and when..."  

But what if the vaccine is required before they can get on the plane back to their country of birthright?

And what if Thailand decides later that only the China vaccine qualifies for a visa?  Could be another deal they have struck with the overlords.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

And what if Thailand decides later that only the China vaccine qualifies for a visa?  Could be another deal they have struck with the overlords.

Ummm....they're producing the AZ jab here, so don't think they're that committed to the Chinese one.  They'll make money off the AZ jab by selling it, as opposed to having to pay for the Chinese one, which isn't as good.

23 hours ago, at15 said:

Looks as if you may not be traveling to far,  the EU have announced that they are discussing the issue of “Vaccination Passports” and four European countries have already announced they will be issuing something similar.

The intention of the above is to start international travel.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 6:25 AM, at15 said:

Personally i would never in a million years consider injecting any "covid" vaccine.

That is of course your choice but maybe you should consider other people?  I think its only fair that people who choose not to be vaccinated be refused hospital treatment if they contract the virus.

In the light of what Thailand has already done in response to the Covid 19 Pandemic, I think your statement that 'No country is going to want to kill its travel industry' may be a little out of date.  Of course, nobody can second guess what Thailand will do but I'm convinced that they will make vaccination a requirement, at least for long term visa and extension applicants. That won't be a problem for me, I'll be at the front of the vaccine queue when they are offered to my age group.

I wouldn't put much faith in what Air Asia say about requiring passengers to be vaccinated - much bigger airlines have already said that they will require passengers to be vaccinated in the not too distant future. But it doesn't really matter what any airline's plans are - they will have to comply with a country's requirements.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 4:16 PM, HOAX said:

Probably not. However private hospitals are more likely to set the price up as they`re likely to be buying it more expensive due to lower quantities, export methods etc, unless the gov`t sets a cap.

The Thai government is highly unlikely to prevent price gouging!  The entire Thai economy depends on it in principle.  Dual pricing for farangs is the norm!

On 1/14/2021 at 12:12 AM, Natai Beach said:

Exactly. I think this thread is just stirring up worry for no reason. 

If an expat can’t afford a covid shot, they shouldn’t be in Thailand. I am sure the 800,000 for retirement visa or 400,000 for marriage visa money will more than cover it. 
if they are on a working visa that will also cover it. 
Some will expect it for free I am sure.

I am happy to wait my turn and do whatever the thai authorities ask us to do. Give it to the frontline health workers first, then all the oldies and fat people.

If they require us all to eventually vaccinated then we will, it is their country, their rules. 

And they have been very successful handling it, much better than western countries, so we are not really in the position to start complaining and telling them how to handle it. 

I am sure some will. They then have to make a choice. Do what Anutin tells us to do or find some other country to live in.

Perhaps the question is not over affordability but eligibility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

Take your time, take your time. Yesterday another batch, 23 Norwegians this time died after getting the vaseline. If the hospital support staff in some countries are opting NOT to get the jab, it makes me wonder just what we would get. 

Most of whom were weak and very old and many may not have had anything to do with vaccine shot but they want to check if slight adverse reaction may have tipped the balance.  Not a valid concern for most people - just us older folks living on borrowed time it seems.  Perhaps at some point over 80 it could be counter indicated but that is not certain yet.

On 1/14/2021 at 6:25 AM, at15 said:

Well, when you are travelling in the private jet with you own social class, you'll be waved through.  Really, the rich are cleaner than the other people.

But Americans should be taken care of.  Hopefully the Biden administration will make it a priority to vaccinate it's expats.  If our Governor Newsom was president (and I wish he'd run in 2024) he'd make sure that all Americans and expats and foreign national aliens who travel between the US and other countries are vaccinated.  It just makes good sense for the government to shell out the cost for the people moving across US borders on a regular basis so the country is safe!

The vaccine itself shouldn't be that expensive, no matter from which source.

If you let it done at government hospitals or some small clinic shouldn't cost a fortune.

Only private hospitals are expensive here.

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

The vaccine itself shouldn't be that expensive, no matter from which source.

If you let it done at government hospitals or some small clinic shouldn't cost a fortune.

Only private hospitals are expensive here.

Actually government hospitals costs vary greatly and a simple MRI at a government hospital may cost a lot more than expected due to cost of equipment - this is also true if foreign medications are required as these will also cost the government hospital and they are not selling below cost.   And under current policy they may greatly increase price to foreigners (although do not believe most have).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually government hospitals costs vary greatly and a simple MRI at a government hospital may cost a lot more than expected due to cost of equipment - this is also true if foreign medications are required as these will also cost the government hospital and they are not selling below cost.   And under current policy they may greatly increase price to foreigners (although do not believe most have).

Don't want to drift away too far from the topic, I just can tell you about my visits to Chulalongkorn Hospital and Dental Clinic. Excellent service and (I assume) same prices for foreigners and Thais unless you want VIP treatment with interpreter, fast track, private room etc....

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

My local gov hospital  ;  a CT scan for a Thai is 40000 baht , for a farang 7500 baht as of 4 months ago

• Confused 1