Thai health officials try to clear the air amid concern over China's Sinovac vaccine

webfact

1 hour ago, herwin1234 said:

absurd. Thai officials are working hard to provide vaccins for the entire country. 2 million vaccins now from China with a 50% effectiveness (that is still valid according WHO standards) and a whopping 60 million vaccins from Astrozenica later, and all the farangs are doing is being negative and cynical and sowing doubt about vaccins and ridiculing ppl who actually do something. YIKES. 

They should have been working to secure sufficient doses for the entire population months ago, not leaving it to the last minute and now too late. 

10 hours ago, jvs said:

Imo better to vaccinate now with a safe 50% effective vaccine then a 90% safe vaccine a year from now.

oh that's brilliant..so half the people you inject are vulnerable to who knows what....go ahead and stand in line

5 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Interesting - 50 percent seemed very low, but I'm no doctor.

Isn't it ironic that the worst of the worst so far is coming from China?  

The 50.4% efficacy rate does not apply to you, because you are not a doctor. The Sinovac trials in Brazil can't be compared with others because almost all the 13,000 participants were medical workers. If the participants were ordinary people, the efficacy rate would definitely be higher because ordinary people are not exposed to infection all the time. That's why the Sinovac trials in Indonesia and Turkey showed higher efficacy rates.

Also, at 50.4% efficacy rate, it doesn't mean that the other 49.6% are not protected. 78% will be prevented from getting a mild disease and 100% will be prevented from getting a moderate or severe disease. Which is why 50% is the passing efficacy rate where the WHO and the FDA would grant approvals to any vaccine.

China's state-owned Sinopharm's vaccine was found to have a 86% efficacy rate in UAE, but the participants were mostly foreign workers.

Edited by Selatan

12 hours ago, Guffman said:

Got to make sure CP get their 15% of all the mega profits.

yes after all they put the effort in to make the virus, export it to the world so only fair they profit from selling a sub standard vaccine!!! well done china!! perhaps we should ask the queen to give shijinpingasshole  a knighthood!!

CDC covid tracker shows China’s number of cases at 97,000+ with many cities there undergoing recent lockdowns. If you believe those numbers, along with a 50.4% success rate, go ahead and take their vaccine. I would never take a vaccine from that country, they can’t be trusted. 

• Like 1

“...officials there do think it's efficacy is some 65%.” 

Not what I would call stellar numbers compared to what we’re seeing from other countries. Even if it was 100%, I wouldn’t take it, I don’t trust that country’s gov’t. 

1 hour ago, Selatan said:

The 50.4% efficacy rate does not apply to you, because you are not a doctor. The Sinovac trials in Brazil can't be compared with others because almost all the 13,000 participants were medical workers. If the participants were ordinary people, the efficacy rate would definitely be higher because ordinary people are not exposed to infection all the time. That's why the Sinovac trials in Indonesia and Turkey showed higher efficacy rates.

Also, at 50.4% efficacy rate, it doesn't mean that the other 49.6% are not protected. 78% will be prevented from getting a mild disease and 100% will be prevented from getting a moderate or severe disease. Which is why 50% is the passing efficacy rate where the WHO and the FDA would grant approvals to any vaccine.

China's state-owned Sinopharm's vaccine was found to have a 86% efficacy rate in UAE, but the participants were mostly foreign workers.

1 hour ago, Selatan said:

Please don’t bother trying to justify their (the Chinese gov’ts) poor quality or their crappy results associated with this vaccine.

I for one won't be taking any chinese communist vaccine, as they can't be trusted to tell the truth.

Remember how nearly 2m have died already because they tried to shut up the doctor who blew the whistle on the virus in the first place and sadly lost his life to it.

I would wager good money that this gentleman along with all the politicians and assorted generals, high ranking police and their families will be taking the Pfizer or AstraZeneca jabs not Sinovac.

Actually i would not be surprised if some of them have had it already.

18 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I do think fish sauce could be 20% effective too! ????

It should have been trialled initially, with a small adjustment here and there it would be sufficient to kill any living organism and the host if over prescribed. 

9 minutes ago, Artisi said:

It should have been trialled initially, with a small adjustment here and there it would be sufficient to kill any living organism and the host if over prescribed. 

Add some lao khao and who knows what it could achieve!

7 hours ago, Selatan said:

good to see some actual facts, instead of the cynical replies of other ppl getting THEIR "facts" from Youtube videos...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They should have been working to secure sufficient doses for the entire population months ago, not leaving it to the last minute and now too late. 

They ARE working hard now and yesterday and kinda since the start of the pandemic, thats why we in Thailand are not in chaos and dont have soaring daily deaths, and thats why we will have 2 million vaccins NOW and a little bit later an extra whopping 60 million astrozenica vaccins...

In general (not specifically to you) too many ppl (farang) from the beginning only agitate against any effort; agitate againsts masks, against social distancing, against lockdowns, and now against vaccins.

I think part of the success here in Thailand against covid is bc Thai ppl are smart and united and positive, and fight together against this virus. Its strenght. Agitating and being divisive on the other hand, its weakness and fear.

16 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

I think part of the success here in Thailand against covid is bc Thai ppl are smart and united and positive, and fight together against this virus. Its strenght. Agitating and being divisive on the other hand, its weakness and fear.

Not hard to see why they lead the world in..........................everthing!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

They ARE working hard now and yesterday and kinda since the start of the pandemic, thats why we in Thailand are not in chaos and dont have soaring daily deaths, and thats why we will have 2 million vaccins NOW and a little bit later an extra whopping 60 million astrozenica vaccins...

In general (not specifically to you) too many ppl (farang) from the beginning only agitate against any effort; agitate againsts masks, against social distancing, against lockdowns, and now against vaccins.

My point is specific to vaccine availability only, I'm not commenting on the Thailand response to the pandemic in general. I didn't say they weren't working hard now to purchase more vaccines, what I did say its that they should have been working hard at this in the beginning, a last minute purchase of 2 million doses of the Chinese vaccine is a drop in the ocean, 60 million Astrazenica doses is not even enough for half of the population and this whopping figure as you call it will not even be all ready this year, they have to actually manufacture it themselves, that starts only when they have perfected the process which they are currently doing now. It will be early next year before all those 60 million doses are actually delivered.

We all know that they are scrambling around now trying to purchase more from any supplier available worldwide, why is that? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

Thailand ordered 2 million of the Sinovac AND 60 million other vaccins from Astrazenica. So it looks like "the masses" will  get a decent vaccin.

How is it possible, in a six-page discussion about vaccines, in which the word "vaccine" appears in practically every post, for someone to misspell it?

15 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

So what you say is factual untrue but hey its catchy and you always can make a Youtube video from it. 

No idea what any of this has to do with YouTube but, from your three rapid-fire posts on this page alone, I can tell that you have much you wish to express.

I recommend slowing down and putting more effort into each post. Allow the ideas to exit your head in some sort of logical order so that the rest of us have a better chance of understanding what you are trying to say.

Remember to keep breathing as you type, especially if when each word is taking a long time.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

maintained that a vaccinated group was able to prevent 78 per cent of infections and 100 per cent of severe symptoms

Well ... at least looking at the performance, the Chinese Sinovac vaccine looks better than the Moderna / Pfizer vaccines - they didn’t even evaluate prevention of infection and concentrated on the severe symptoms !

British Medical Journal:

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4037

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/11/26/peter-doshi-pfizer-and-modernas-95-effective-vaccines-lets-be-cautious-and-first-see-the-full-data/

Immediate side effects and longterm effects are another side of the coin, which might speak against Sinovac...

However, Sinovac is using a proven technology with the incapacitated viruses, whereas the mRNA vaccines from AstraZeneca and Pfizer are a totally new technology and due to the 9 months of telescoped trials (compared to 10 years plus, normally) they were not able to evaluate longterm  effects.

In principle, the trials -what this genetic recording of your DNA and the application of nanoparticles means in the longterm for your body- are happening during application.

... it’s not for nothing, that the British drug agency MHRA saw the need to buy a new, artificial intelligence based, IT system to monitor the „the expected high volume of COVID-19 vaccine adverse drug reactions (ADRs)”:

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/mhra-looks-to-ai-to-hunt-for-covid-19-vaccine-side-effects/

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4258/rr

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rayw said:

Absolutely spot on Dr. Sirilak, top marks for your common sense and honesty.  In fact I trust the Chinese and Russian traditionally and safely produced vaccines (same goes for the Oxford vaccine as I understand it) far far more than those from western big greedy pharma whose only concern is obscene profits and not in curing sick people,who, whilst continuing to survive yet remain sick, simply and immorally make them even richer. 

So the Chinese are giving Sinovac away for free? Or is there profit involved?

Hint. Their stock valuation is related to success of the vaccine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-07/sinovac-sells-500-million-stake-as-vaccine-nears-finish-line

Edited by ftpjtm

1 hour ago, Poet said:

How is it possible, in a six-page discussion about vaccines, in which the word "vaccine" appears in practically every post, for someone to misspell it?

No idea what any of this has to do with YouTube but, from your three rapid-fire posts on this page alone, I can tell that you have much you wish to express.

I recommend slowing down and putting more effort into each post. Allow the ideas to exit your head in some sort of logical order so that the rest of us have a better chance of understanding what you are trying to say.

Remember to keep breathing as you type, especially if when each word is taking a long time.

What a brilliant post, you must be so proud of yourself, shame your parents didn't teach you some manners. 

18 hours ago, rayw said:

In fact I trust the Chinese and Russian traditionally and safely produced vaccines (same goes for the Oxford vaccine as I understand it) far far more than those from western big greedy pharma whose only concern is obscene profits and not in curing sick people,who, whilst continuing to survive yet remain sick, simply and immorally make them even richer. 

The Sinovac is the most expensive one out there.

37 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I bought some Chinese condoms at half price. They touted them as being at least 60% effective so I figure I got a good deal. They wouldn't lie about something as important as that now would they? 

I also bought some Chinese pants with only one leg at a deep discount. . Glasses with one lens but they were half price. There are bargains to be had but you have to look for them. 

great, love it, thanks for making me smile   555

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

That does not make sense.  You mean if you tested a group of people who lived in caves they would show the virus vaccine was 100% effective.   I am no scientist but I would think that testing would be done on a group who received the vaccine and exposing them to the virus to see how many did not contract it.  Otherwise the effectiveness rates would widely vary depending on whether the person was young, old, lived alone, went to work each day, or were health care workers.  That number would be meaningless.