Thai health officials try to clear the air amid concern over China's Sinovac vaccine

webfact

30 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

"showing that Sinovac is only 50.4 per cent effective"  - so only half of the political prisoners died during the tests.... not a bad result????

I think the trial vaccines should all be tested on politicians first.  That way if they still die, we didn't lose much if anything. 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:17 AM, jvs said:

Imo better to vaccinate now with a safe 50% effective vaccine then a 90% safe vaccine a year from now.

NO!.  You misunderstand  concept of 50% and harm it will do.   50% only mean that 50% will not  develop the serious complications of Covid 19. In real life example of 100 people;

50 can still become seriously ill and some will die;

50 will not become seriously ill, but can still become ill.

100 can still become asymptomatic carriers.

An ineffective vaccine will encourage people to stop complying with mask and   social distance.They will become more of a risk of infection. The vaccine could do more damage than good.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:25 AM, Poet said:

The elites will have the Western vaccines. The masses will be lucky if their Sinovac isn't actually a forgery.

Such drama. Maybe you save for monthly Marxist Leninist rally, ok?  Oxford Astra Zeneca seems to be less expensive than Sinovac and formula/technology will be shared with countries who need help. India, South Africa are examples. China not sharing data or information and will make profit. Astra Zeneca not making profit.  Pfizer- BioNtech not making profit on poor countries.

A vaccine that is a little over 50% in effectiveness against a virus that, according to the CDC's own info most under the age of 70 have a 99.6 + % chance of coming out of unscathed......I ride my motorcycle to Tesco Lotus. I would say the odds of me dying from that in Thailand are significantly higher.......What am I missing here? Serious question. 

6 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

NO!.  You misunderstand  concept of 50% and harm it will do.   50% only mean that 50% will not  develop the serious complications of Covid 19. In real life example of 100 people;

An ineffective vaccine will encourage people to stop complying with mask and   social distance.They will become more of a risk of infection. The vaccine could do more damage than good.

I am not a virologist but i am not alone in thinking 50% is better then nothing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-rates-explained/13042960

8 minutes ago, Poet said:

That's kind of you to say, thank you, I greatly appreciate the encouragement.

Of course your response doesn't change anything, and how about not picking out the bit that suits your ego and post the full reply.

It's just commie medical junk.  They'll probaby give it to the hospitals in the countryside to jab the farmers.  Nobody with a working braincell in the cities are going to want this garbage.
AZ at the least and even better if we can get the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  I wouldn't trust any of the communist medicine to do anything but kill you. 

22 minutes ago, Somchai Jackson said:

It's just commie medical junk.  They'll probaby give it to the hospitals in the countryside to jab the farmers.  Nobody with a working braincell in the cities are going to want this garbage.
AZ at the least and even better if we can get the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  I wouldn't trust any of the communist medicine to do anything but kill you. 

sinovac will be given to medical professionals, people working in municipal services, also police, civil servants. With a few hundred thousands left it will be given to vulnerable in bangkok and towns in red provinces, including pattaya.

astrazeneca has 60-90% efficiency, depending on dose and sources data came in. Looks, like sinovac is better.

as to side effects - are happening with all vax already in circulation. That is marginal issue. 

the issue now now known - how long they will protect. There are new mutations are coming, causing new waves. Tweaking vax to each mutation do take time, minimum 6 weeks, and after that production process.

So far vax for rednecks is being developed 

Edited by internationalism

On 1/14/2021 at 1:13 PM, 2530Ubon said:

China has been busy injecting some of their people with it as lab rats, but China hasn't even approved this vaccine yet for it's own domestic market. This is due to a lack of efficacy and safety data.

It's an absolute joke that it could be getting approval here before approval in it's country of origin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/business/china-coronavirus-vaccine-sinovac.html

Is this why they want to force foreigners to take the vaccine? so if we don't turn green with two heads, it will be safe for Thais to use?

On 1/15/2021 at 8:23 PM, Thomas J said:

That does not make sense.  You mean if you tested a group of people who lived in caves they would show the virus vaccine was 100% effective.   I am no scientist but I would think that testing would be done on a group who received the vaccine and exposing them to the virus to see how many did not contract it.  Otherwise the effectiveness rates would widely vary depending on whether the person was young, old, lived alone, went to work each day, or were health care workers.  That number would be meaningless. 

In the past, vaccine testing was done by intentionally exposing viruses to non-volunteer participants, such as soldiers. That's the fastest and probably the most accurate way to determine the efficacy rate of a vaccine. But that practice is considered unethical nowadays, and so vaccine trials have to wait for both vaccine and placebo groups to get infected on their own to determine the efficacy rate.

And so if ordinary people form the the bulk of the participants, the efficacy rate would naturally be higher than the situation where the bulk of participants were doctors and nurses. The efficacy rate is also possibly skewed by all the current social distancing and face mask rules. Those who take public transport have higher risks compared to those who drive to work. So the efficacy rate varies because we want to do it the ethical way.

If vaccine trials are still conducted in the old way, China would not even need to run the trials in other countries. It could easily offer convicted criminals some kind of deals to participate in the trials.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:54 PM, Patong2021 said:

You have got the wrong idea about the efficacy rate. If the efficacy rate is 50%, that means all that have taken the vaccine are protected to some extent. It doesn't mean that 50% are totally protected, and the other 50% are totally not protected. The efficacy rate applies to all.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:48 AM, jvs said:

I am not a virologist but i am not alone in thinking 50% is better then nothing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-rates-explained/13042960

Yes, 50% is good enough. Like the article said:

The annual flu vaccine, for example, fluctuates in its effectiveness between 40 to 60 per cent, according to the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC).