US Dollar Check Deposit Using NetSpend Or US Banking App

Hello all and I would like to say this is a great forum as I have been a lurking resident in Thailand for 32 years. I'd like to thank everyone in advance for any help on this particular thread.

First of all, I have read through probably 15 to 20 threads on Thai Visa about cashing US dollar checks, either via a US bank mobile banking app or just depositing it into their Thai bank account. Additionally I went to the BOT website and read through the Thai banking regulations and the new check cashing system they are now using. That being said, I have also cashed using dollar checks in the past having to wait between 2 to 4 weeks for the money to actually be available in my account.

Over the years, I have banked at the old Thai Farmers Bank (now Kasikorn), Bangkok Bank and now Siam Commercial Bank. In each of those banks I have had substantial amounts of money, credit cards (Thai based) and business accounts. None of this amounts to a "hill of beans" when cashing a US dollar check although I have had rather quicker clearing at Bangkok Bank in the past. I know general time constraints at most banks being 30 even up to 60 days for US dollar check to clear. 

With that said, I have US address and a couple months ago I decided to open a Net Spend account with a prepaid Visa Debit Card attached along with an US bank account and routing number attached to it. I haven't been back to the States for 10 years but I can still be easily verified through my home address and drivers license along with my passport number. I figured I could just receive my US stimulus check here in Thailand, download the Netspend app and scan it using their Ingo check cashing system and avoid the Thai banking system entirely. I am unable to download the app as it says "restricted in your country". So I used a VPN cleared my cache on my phone and ended up with the same error message.

In addition, I have an old Bank of America account which is now dormant as I haven't use it for about 10 years. (I know I should have kept it active). 

My questions are as follows and sorry for the long winded rather mundane explanation above but I thought the background would help the reader see I have done my homework.

Question 1: Has anybody run into this issue in terms of downloading a US banking app here in Thailand and using their mobile check cashing to speed up the entire check clearing process? Has anybody ran into the same problem of "restricted in your country", If so, where you able to get around this? 

Question 2: Has anybody used Netspend here in Thailand to deposit a US dollar check using their mobile check deposit app? If so, did things work as expected.

Question 3: Has anybody had a dormant US Bank account such as I mentioned above (mine has over $1,000 USD) in it at least and been able to re activate from overseas? (In this case, Thailand)

The reason for this topic post is I received my US Stimulus check back in late November and deposited it on December 5th. A credit for the check amount showed in my bank 7 days later but to this day the funds are still unavailable. This is SBC and have had this account with them for 15 years, with a credit card as well. 

In addition, I received a check for $4,000 from a friend whom I lend this money to a year or so ago. It is drawn on JP Morgan Chase and is in my name. I'm also expecting another $600 US Treasuring stimulus check any day. Given the information provided in this thread, can anybody give some insight that can both help me and others later on that may come across this thread with a similar issue?

Cheers all and any constructive forward thinking comments are most appreciated. 

I have never used or know nothing about Net Spend.  However the majority of banks in the USA offer apps that allow you to scan the front and back of a check and have it deposited into your USA bank account.  

In terms of your dormant account.  I would call the bank.  Typically the bank is marked dormant after a given period of time with no activity.  After I believe 7 years the bank is suppose to escheat the money to the federal government.  You can retrieve it but have to file papers to do so. 

I have received several checks while here in Thailand.  I have also had checks sent to my daughter in the USA who scans them, sends me the PDF file and I then scan and deposit those into my USA bank account without any problems at all. 

I have not opened a USA bank account while here in Thailand.  I have opened a couple of brokerage accounts by presenting my passport and in one case a video call holding my passport.  Again, I would call the bank and find out what if anything they may be able to do. 

Mobile Check Deposit - Mobile Banking - HSBC Bank USA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I have never used or know nothing about Net Spend.  However the majority of banks in the USA offer apps that allow you to scan the front and back of a check and have it deposited into your USA bank account.  

In terms of your dormant account.  I would call the bank.  Typically the bank is marked dormant after a given period of time with no activity.  After I believe 7 years the bank is suppose to escheat the money to the federal government.  You can retrieve it but have to file papers to do so. 

I have received several checks while here in Thailand.  I have also had checks sent to my daughter in the USA who scans them, sends me the PDF file and I then scan and deposit those into my USA bank account without any problems at all. 

I have not opened a USA bank account while here in Thailand.  I have opened a couple of brokerage accounts by presenting my passport and in one case a video call holding my passport.  Again, I would call the bank and find out what if anything they may be able to do. 

Mobile Check Deposit - Mobile Banking - HSBC Bank USA

Hello Thomas and thank you for your insightful information based on your experience. 

Yes I know the banking laws in the US and you are correct although I shall inject some banks are different depending on what State they are in. For example, in California, banks are required to submit any funds in a dormant account of 3 years to the State of California. Some banks hold off longer but that is the law in CA. 

I tried calling Bank of America a couple years ago and they asked me a series of questions, the last question they asked I had forgotten the answer to at that moment. The call was soon ended after. Since then I gathered all the information from my past credit history in the US going back 20+ years including house purchases, car loans, etc. Up to about 10 years ago, I would travel back and forth to the States 3 to 5 times a year but as I mentioned in the initial post, I haven't been back in 10 years. 

I guess I'll try to call Bank of America again and see if anything can be done. But I did try to install their banking app here from Thailand and received the same error message "restricted in your country". 

What happens if somebody loses their phone and needs to reinstall their banking app without a backup? This is an additional question. Surely this can and has happened in the past

2 minutes ago, gwapofarang said:

guess I'll try to call Bank of America again and see if anything can be done. But I did try to install their banking app here from Thailand and received the same error message "restricted in your country".

You need to go to your phone and change the country from Thailand to the USA.  The app store or playstore will not allow you to download some apps depending on how you have your phone set.  I was not able to download some apps like Shopee or Lazada until I changed the location on the phone from USA to Thailand. 

The other "possibility" is that certain web sites will not allow you to access them if your IP address shows you as being here in Thailand.  I use a VPN from Nord for both my phone, computer, and phone where I can select what country I want my server to show I am based in.  If I get one of those messages not available in your country. I change the location to that country.  I had some forms to file for a Covid related cancelled flight in Spain.  I was not able to fill those out until I changed my VPN location to Spain.  

I would first go your settings on your phone and change the country to the USA Then after it is changed try and download the banking app.  If that does not work.  You will then need to subscribe to a VPN to show that your IP address is coming out of the USA.  I suspect changing the country code on your phone will be enough. 

These are snapshots from both Playstore and App Store (iphone)

Reviewing Language and Region Settings

2 Ways to Change Play Store Country

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, Thomas J said:

You need to go to your phone and change the country from Thailand to the USA.  The app store or playstore will not allow you to download some apps depending on how you have your phone set.  I was not able to download some apps like Shopee or Lazada until I changed the location on the phone from USA to Thailand. 

The other "possibility" is that certain web sites will not allow you to access them if your IP address shows you as being here in Thailand.  I use a VPN from Nord for both my phone, computer, and phone where I can select what country I want my server to show I am based in.  If I get one of those messages not available in your country. I change the location to that country.  I had some forms to file for a Covid related cancelled flight in Spain.  I was not able to fill those out until I changed my VPN location to Spain.  

I would first go your settings on your phone and change the country to the USA Then after it is changed try and download the banking app.  If that does not work.  You will then need to subscribe to a VPN to show that your IP address is coming out of the USA.  I suspect changing the country code on your phone will be enough. 

These are snapshots from both Playstore and App Store (iphone)

Reviewing Language and Region Settings

2 Ways to Change Play Store Country

Hello Thomas and thank you for taking the time to post this. To be honest, I found this information YouTube prior to responding back here but your post here explains it much easier. I totally appreciate your efforts and I hope others find this helpful as it does work. 

This solves the problem of installing a US based banking application when you are here in Thailand or outside the United States in any other country. However, there are a couple things you should do to insure the above words as well as a new policy Google has in terms of changing locations. I thought for purposes of helping others in the future who might read this be aware of the following. 

First, it's a good idea before following the instructions above to clear your cache and data in Google Play Store. For good measure you might want to clear your cache and data in Play Store or Apple Store after installing the VPN and changing your location as described above. Then restart your phone and install the blocked app in question, in this case a US bank application. 

Second, Google now only allows you to change your location ONCE A YEAR. I had two other locations, the Philippines and Thailand before but this is now a strict policy. I would imagine the only way around this is to create a new Gmail account. 

Thanks again Thomas as your information is solid and I hope my additional information helps others. Cheers All!

2 hours ago, gwapofarang said:

Second, Google now only allows you to change your location ONCE A YEAR

I was not aware of that, but I did confirm what you said is true.  However that is google which applies strictly to Android phones.  Not sure about Iphones.  I guess if one were really stuck you would just get a cheap second phone and place the country you wanted on that phone.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 9:54 PM, Thomas J said:

I was not aware of that, but I did confirm what you said is true.  However that is google which applies strictly to Android phones.  Not sure about Iphones.  I guess if one were really stuck you would just get a cheap second phone and place the country you wanted on that phone.  

Neither was I my friend as I have been around Asia for decades and had several addresses there in the past, never having this issue and adding up to 3 valid addresses. Google even verified two of them as they where for Adsense Payments so they send a code to verify your address, nothing else.

Upon further investigation, apparently this policy changed about 2 years ago. One would think there is a "work around" by simply making a new Gmail account and adding the new address there which I logically can't see why this wouldn't work. They have apps to change your "identity profile" from personal or business which could also be sued, theoretically.

Perhaps someone with this particular experience could chime in to add more credence to this rather good informational thread. Cheers all and hope this helps others in the future who may come across this thread and find it useful. Thanks for the help Thomas J

• Thanks 1