Travel to other northern provinces by car or bike as of January 14, 2021

inspector

I am planning to ride to Chiang Rai and Phrae via Lamphun and Lamphang from my residence in Chiang Mai. I am getting conflicting info about whether or not I will be allowed entry into Lamphun, Lamphang and Phrae because CM has more than 10 cases.

What I read in Thai is that I must report myself (unspecified if that means filling in forms at the border or going to city hall, or what) but I am hearing from some Thais that travellers from certain provinces with more than 10 cases  such as CM, could be denied entry.

Can anyone with more detailed, fairly certain information clarify what I can expect entering these provinces at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by inspector
  • Like 1

There is apparently a checkpoint on the super highway from CM thru to Lamphun.

But, I have been told they are only stopping people who have license plates from the 5 red zone provinces.  CM is not one of those.

I think you are OK all the way to Chiang Rai but difficult to get real time info. on this.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

For Chiangmai to Lamphun, Highway11, I am driving there every morning and there is no check point. From Lamphun to Chiangmai, yes there are 2 ... on the Highway 11 only...near Hang Dong fly over.

After Lamphun I cant say (Lamphun/Phrae, etc)

I would say, as I want to move also on a weekend, it would be better to postpone the trip until mid February and see how is the situation, relaxed or more tense. Of course if you can postpone it...

Phil.

Edited by khunphil
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, khunphil said:

Hi,

For Chiangmai to Lamphun, Highway11, I am driving there every morning and there is no check point.

Well ..back from Lamphun to Chiangmai, tonight, they had a check point on the way to Lamphun. So we never know what will happen tomorrow. That does not mean you cannot drive south ... leaving a province is more easy than entering another one...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhonKaen2014 said:

Good to know - I always thought the second I leave a province I am entering another one... ????

Yep ... true for the province borders, but check points can be further away ... but I loved your sense of humor ???? Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, there are two COVID check points.  On the CM side, near Doi Saket, but it only affects traffic heading west to CM.  All CM cars are waved through; CR or other provincial-plated cars, the time involved is about 5 minutes, including temp checks.

The CR checkpoint is near MeaKhachan on Highway 118.  All non-Chiang Rai cars are pulled over and the driver and passengers questioned as to recent travel.  Temperatures are also taken.

Total time spend (for CR car) - 10 seconds.

For CM or other Provinces  car (that does include all Bangkok-plated cars whether from Bangkok or not), the time is about 3-4 minutes.

All in all. no big deal.

This information as of today, , 15-Jan 2021

• Like 1