PM Prayut: Government able to buy COVID-19 vaccine for all Thais

snoop1130

there use to be some 5mln foreign workers.

Now is less, but still in millions.

From the title and the article it's all about thai citizens, those remaining millions are not mentioned at all.

The government is trying playing down the second wave, calming down with multiple promises.

Only 50% population can have jab this year.

In this situation planning can be done only for a few months, not for years.

Too many unknown how pandemic will develop, how good and lasting are vax.

The UK has contacted 200mln jabs for 70mln population. Malaysia has already reserved and money ringed for 83% of population. And they are already vaccinating for many weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Siam Bioscience, a Thai biopharmaceutical company, has received permission to produce the COVID-19 vaccine developed by AstraZeneca.

What happened to the Chinese Sinovac vaccine? Guess that deal fell through. And I thought this country with its Chinese ties favoured them. Uh-oh.

• Haha 1

Thai hospitals have lost a lot of profit since Covid began due to a lack of medical tourists and locals not wanting the full workups. They have already demonstrated they are eager to charge us bottomless pocket Farangs and rich Thai for the privilege of getting vaccinated early though the first effort was deemed illegal. At some point there should be a legal method to do this and those willing to pay should have access though the prices will be inflated. I'm not saying this is good or desirable only that I think for those who want the vaccine early and are willing to pay there will be a way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Once everyone in my village has been vaccinated how is the virus going to make it through to me?

That's a good question. The answer seems to be that the vaccine which protects the recipient may not stop that individual from being a carrier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Gen. Prayut said that the government will ensure that all Thais have access to a COVID-19 vaccine. The government has enough funds available to procure the doses. However, if local administrative organizations want to procure them for their residents, they can do so.

Can’t ask for much more than that. Free vaccines and free to choose.

oh wait, this is Tvf forum. 
There will be complaints and imagined scenarios.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bdenner said:
10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

No problem. Once everyone in my village has been vaccinated how is the virus going to make it through to me? It hasn't got within 70kms of me so far. And that's without a vaccine.

50 minutes ago, bdenner said:

I'm lead to believe just because people are vaccinated doesn't stop them from being carriers of the virus. Just stops them from getting ill.

19 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

That's a good question. The answer seems to be that the vaccine which protects the recipient may not stop that individual from being a carrier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

One optimist verses two sceptics. Sorry pals, you don't faze me!

If herd immunity has been established through vaccination plus natural immunity, How is this virus going to propagate itself?

Have a nice (Covid free) day. ????

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

there use to be some 5mln foreign workers.

Now is less, but still in millions.

From the title and the article it's all about thai citizens, those remaining millions are not mentioned at all.

The government is trying playing down the second wave, calming down with multiple promises.

Only 50% population can have jab this year.

In this situation planning can be done only for a few months, not for years.

Too many unknown how pandemic will develop, how good and lasting are vax.

The UK has contacted 200mln jabs for 70mln population. Malaysia has already reserved and money ringed for 83% of population. And they are already vaccinating for many weeks.

Oxford astra Zeneca vaccine’s largest producer is SI India. They are spitting out 200mill doses a month. Those go for some £2-3 per jab.

why are we waiting to start a production facility here..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

Oxford astra Zeneca vaccine’s largest producer is SI India. They are spitting out 200mill doses a month. Those go for some £2-3 per jab.

I read India is the largest manufacturer of jabs in the world.  Some 70% are made there.

They've also said they are going to sell it openly.

9 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

You do know who owns this new production facility yes? The one that has never produced a vaccine before. Check it out if not and you'll then have the answer to your question

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You do know who owns this new production facility yes? The one that has never produced a vaccine before. Check it out if not and you'll then have the answer to your question

SI apparently is the largest vaccine producer in the world and been in existence for 60 years...

30% of global generic pharmaceutical products are made in India and export value of some $30bill.

so they do have an established track record in pharma industry 

• Like 2

Just now, mjakob007 said:

SI apparently is the largest vaccine producer in the world and been in existence for 60 years...

30% of global generic pharmaceutical products are made in India and export value of some $30bill.

so they do have an established track record in pharma industry 

I'm talking about the new production facility in Thailand, this have never produced a vaccine before, its just been set up especially for purpose. Siam Biosience, its an investment arm of the Crown Property Bureau

I recommend watching this video interview only done a couple of days ago with Dr. Nakorn Premsri, Director of the National Vaccine Institute, who has been at the centre of Thailand’s vaccine strategy, and Dr Lorenz Von Seidlein, a vaccine expert at the Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, who previously worked at the international Vaccine Institute.

Its a thought provoking listen on the challenges still to be faced regards the vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1