Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

On the other hand, from an economic point of view, if leaving the EU is harmful to the UK, how much more so would it be for Scotland? The UK is by far Scotland's major trading partner. So the Scots should expect at least more decline in economic growth from it's break from the UK  than will be experienced by the UK in its break with the EU. 

It's a huge question indeed.

Now it's up to them to decide, and there is hope that there will be less lies that with the referendum on Brexit.

In the case of Brexit the majority of voters would not leave knowing what the know now.... As for me i'm not against Brexit, but it turns out the process was hijacked by national-populists and does not represent what the referendum asked for : 48% against leaving and 10-20% for the hard brexit we have now. It turns out a few extremists and opportunist politicians ended up imposing their will on NI (who didn't want to leave), Scottland (who didn't want to leave), Gibraltar ... and even the majority of English citizen who in fact called for a soft brexit.

so I hope the Scots would be very prudent not to lock themselves in some kind of extremist "Scotexit" that would be as catastrophic as Brexit is now

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lungbing said:

Just allow the English to vote as well next time, the Scots will get their independence then.  Many of us are sick of their constant carping.  The problem would be when they find out that the English voted for them to go, but the Scots voted for themselves to stay.

a majority of the English Tory electorate agrees with you.

For Labour, it's much more complicated, because Labour used to get his majority in the Commons with PM from Scotland. So Labour has to be against independence, because otherwise the UK would become "tory-country" for decades, as I understand it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

It's a fair point, but I still don't see how Scotland can come out ahead economically if it divorces itself from the UK.  In 2018 Scottish GDP was 165 billion.

Scotland's exports 2018 | Scottish Parliament

52 billion of that went to the UK.

Scotland's exports 2018 | Scottish Parliament

That's 31.5% of Scottish GDP

The total value of UK exports was 298 billion in 2018

• UK exports of goods and services to EU 1999-2019 | Statista

The total GDP was 2.14 trillion

• UK: GDP in pounds 2000-2018 | Statista

That's about 14%. So a lot less.

I did wonder how much of Scottish goods sold to firms in the rest of the UK end up being exported. But according to the page linked to, probably not a lot.

About Export Statistics Scotland - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)

I do not know this issue very well, but I suppose there's much more to it: how do you split the national debt, how would separate NHS work, how retirement pensions would work across a border, currency issues ...

Rejoining the EU as a full member is not the hardest issue of Scottish independence, by far. 

Now, I still feel the Scots have been completely disregarded by the English nationalists and, as a consequence, I understand why most of them desire to "take back control" and make their own decisions. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

Wouldn't it be fun if Scotland joins the EEA and Schengen and UK people need a visa to go there for more than 3 months.....

Getting such a visa would involve filling out a piece of paper or web form and having it rubber stamped.

Of course the same would apply the other way around.

It will never happen of course.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hi from France said:

In case you do not know how democracy works, yes we are

We are in a world where the people are regularly called to evaluate their leaders and change them if they so wish. 

Surprisingly

So, if there is another vote and Scotland votes to leave the union it is not binding in any way because we can keep having referendums until they change their mind again.

Yea.....sounds about right.

• Like 2