Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

Leave means leave. Remember that one? Why would Scotland wish to have independence only to use a currency that is controlled by the union they have just left? 

Would it make you feel better if a newly independent Scotland used the US Dollar instead?  They could do so, and the loss of liquidity would impact rUK - but I'm sure that would not be of concern to you.

PH

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The Brexit referendum was supposed to be only "advisory" and look how well that went.

Cameron made it absou!ut!y clear before the peoples vote that the result would be honoured,looked like he placed too. much faith( and 9 million pounds of taxpayers money) into project fear,he,d have done well to remember " you can fool some of the people some of the time,you can,t fall all the people all of the time"

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Would it make you feel better if a newly independent Scotland used the US Dollar instead?  They could do so, and the loss of liquidity would impact rUK - but I'm sure that would not be of concern to you.

PH

They could use the zimbabwe dollar for all i care,still its academic,the vote won,t go through,they know on which side of their bread the butters on.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Leave means leave. Remember that one? Why would Scotland wish to have independence only to use a currency that is controlled by the union they have just left? 

Well monetary policy does not currently prioritise the needs of the Scottish economy so from an impact point of view, there will be no significant change after independence should we continue to use the UK pound. 

But as the growth commission proposed, there would be a transition to either a Scottish currency or euro after a period of stabilisation and the validation of key tests. That sounds prudent to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

They could use the zimbabwe dollar for all i care,still its academic,the vote won,t go through,they know on which side of their bread the butters on.

Really?  Many Brexiteers who trade with the EUs are now finding that the bread has fallen butter side down

PH

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Well monetary policy does not currently prioritise the needs of the Scottish economy so from an impact point of view, there will be no significant change after independence should we continue to use the UK pound. 

But as the growth commission proposed, there would be a transition to either a Scottish currency or euro after a period of stabilisation and the validation of key tests. That sounds prudent to me. 

A 10 year period. That's a long time to achieve stability. Especially when the nationalists are making out it will be a walk in the park.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

PH

Correct. Don't care what currency they use. Leave tomorrow and use the Turkish lira as far as I am concerned.

• Haha 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

A 10 year period. That's a long time to achieve stability. Especially when the nationalists are making out it will be a walk in the park.

Tests to be met - maybe less than 10 years. But of course, it's important for England too; otherwise what currency will you use to pay for the water, electricity, oil and gas we will supply you with? 

• Like 1

Hopefully the new flag will have the national animal, the Haggis on it.  I have heard it is a small animal native to Scotland, a bit like the ostrich. Because the habitat of the haggis in exclusively mountainous, and because it is always found on the sides of Scottish mountains, it has evolved a rather strange gait. The poor thing has only three legs, and each leg is a different length - the result of this is that when hunting haggis, you must get them on to a flat plain - then they are very easy to catch - they can only run round in circles.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Glad we got it agreed that they can continue to use the Pound then

PH

They can use whatever currency they like but will be totally dependant on their host countries economy,in any event why would they want to stay with sterling?according to all the intellectual giants and necromancers on here the pounds going to crash now we,ve left the eu.

Edited by kingdong

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Indeed. I have no problem with that. However, when the Scots have no power with regards to the value of their currency, I'm sure they will.

As is the case now. Plus ça change, as our very good friends and allies, the French, say. 

• Like 1

Good lord, whoever thought that sending Johnson north would sway Scots to the union is an even bigger clown than he is. 

Of course this is in clear breach of covid restrictions so I look forward to seeing a unified condemnation of his plans and calls for his resignation. 

UNION PLEA Boris Johnson set to visit Scotland this week on a rescue mission to save the UK

"He is expected to use the trip to make an impassioned plea for Scots to reject narrow separatism, and hail the benefits of being in the UK."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Scotland didn't vote to leave - that is the problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Victornoir said:

This Thread is too fun after the Brexit ones.

The impression is that the British nationalists who have put their country in the p..o do not want stay alone to suffer.

Waste of time, folks, you cannot durably prevent Scotland from choosing its destiny.

In addition, they can count on many continental support, because for us nothing is excluded when it comes to mock of the English.

He who laughs last laughs the longest,anyway scotlands already had a vote ( you know,one of those funny democratic things the eu is so desperate to deny its members) and they voted to stay.

8 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

That was the main reason they voted stay,they thought if they left they could stay in the uks monetary system,when it was pointed out that was not going to happen.....................

Scotland is heading towards independence from the UK thanks to Boris Johnson and Brexit

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-and-brexit-pushed-scotland-towards-independence-2021-1

Scotland is heading towards independence from the UK. That's the inevitable conclusion to be drawn from the latest opinion polls which show a surge in support for Scottish nationalism.

The combination of anger at Brexit, distrust of Boris Johnson (who has a long record of offending Scots) and the UK government's shambolic handling of the coronavirus pandemic have all conspired to create the perfect environment for the independence movement.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kingdong said:

That was the main reason they voted stay,they thought if they left they could stay in the uks monetary system,when it was pointed out that was not going to happen.....................

You haven't explained how this could possibly be stopped. We already issue and use UK banknotes. Why would that suddenly not be possible to continue? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Indeed. I have no problem with that. However, when the Scots have no power with regards to the value of their currency, I'm sure they will.

So when you stated:

Oh dear, the UK government have already said this would not be possible. 

either you or the UK Goverment were talkingout of their rear ends.

Many would argue that Scotland has no power with regards to the value of their currency now, so independence would not alter that.

PH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingdong said:

It was?  You know this how?  Were you there?  Did you vote?  I was, and did.  Keeping the UK monetary system was not even talked about!

PH

• Like 1

Thats right when they were given the vote about leaving the union they voted to stay in.

And high in the discussion was that leaving the UK might well entail leaving the EU.  2016 altered the landscape hugely. 

As I have said before, I voted to stay in the Union but come the likely next referendum I would be hard pressed to vote the same way again.  If the anti-Scot, pro-Little Englander feelings and thoughts expressed by many here are replicated south of the border then divorce seems a more and more attractve proposition by the day.  I might even relocate back north again so I can take part.

PH

• Like 1

Or can dance to the tune the english whistle.

Just how would the English manipulate the Currency to affect the Scots?  Even if they could, why would they? 

But in any case, if Scotland left, would it not be the rUK who controlled the currency, not the English?  (Little Englander colours once again on full diplay I feel)

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kingdong said:

He who laughs last laughs the longest,anyway scotlands already had a vote ( you know,one of those funny democratic things the eu is so desperate to deny its members) and they voted to stay.

Strange to talk about democratic votes while not enabling a democratic vote for Scotland. The reason is clear though, not the old 'you had your chance' but the new 'all indications are Scotland would vote to leave'.

• Like 1