Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Strange to talk about democratic votes while not enabling a democratic vote for Scotland. The reason is clear though, not the old 'you had your chance' but the new 'all indications are Scotland would vote to leave'.

They,ve already had a vote,or do you feel they must keep having elections till they get it right,? anyway why don,t the eu member states get an election on the subject?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

Just how would the English manipulate the Currency to affect the Scots?  Even if they could, why would they? 

But in any case, if Scotland left, would it not be the rUK who controlled the currency, not the English?  (Little Englander colours once again on full diplay I feel)

PH

On your first point to teach them a lesson for leaving the union as the eu is to the uk.

And high in the discussion was that leaving the UK might well entail leaving the EU.  2016 altered the landscape hugely. 

As I have said before, I voted to stay in the Union but come the likely next referendum I would be hard pressed to vote the same way again.  If the anti-Scot, pro-Little Englander feelings and thoughts expressed by many here are replicated south of the border then divorce seems a more and more attractve proposition by the day.  I might even relocate back north again so I can take part.

PH

Up to you,i,ve got scottish mates and my fathers scottish,but if the views expressed on here are representative of the scottish nation and you want to rejoin the eu then get on with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingdong said:

On your first point to teach them a lesson for leaving the union as the eu is to the uk.

I assumed that the question was in how you might accomplish this, not why. Can you elaborate on the methods that might be used manipulate the currency to impact a third party - without causing problems in your own country? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Up to you,i,ve got scottish mates and my fathers scottish,but if the views expressed on here are representative of the scottish nation and you want to rejoin the eu then get on with it.

Many Scots want "to get on with it" but are stymied by the undemocratic Westminster Government, supported by people like you who only believe in democracy when it suits them

PH

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kingdong said:

I see. 

Given, then that you think it would be fine for the rUK to "teach the Scots a lesson" I assume you are totally content for the EU "teach the UK a lesson" for leaving?

Personally, I would be against both ideas.  But then I try to have a balanced viewpoint and look at a postion from both sides, not in a simplistic, blinkered and one sided "only me" way.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1

It was?  You know this how?  Were you there?  Did you vote?  I was, and did.  Keeping the UK monetary system was not even talked about!

PH

Before the election cameron made it clear that scotland would have to leave the steling monetary system if they left the union,remember thinking talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it.was i where? Did i vote? No i wasn,t entitled to,why should the monetary system be talked about?cameron said if you leave the union you,re leaving the monetary system,nothing to discuss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

I see. 

Given, then that you think it would be fine for the rUK to "teach the Scots a lesson" I assume you are totally content for the EU "teach the UK a lesson" for leaving?

Personally, I would be against both ideas.  But then I tried to have a balanced viewpoint and look at a postion from both sides, not in a simplistic, blinkered and one sided "only me" way.

PH

So am i against both ideas but thats the eu for you they,ve took the p** s out the uk since we joined,and as a lot of tvf don,t think too highly of boris perhaps he thinks soddit they leave lets teach them a lesson like he did to the tory remainers.

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Before the election cameron made it clear that scotland would have to leave the steling monetary system if they left the union,remember thinking talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it.was i where? Did i vote? No i wasn,t entitled to,why should the monetary system be talked about?cameron said if you leave the union you,re leaving the monetary system,nothing to discuss.

They would indeed have no further input to monetary policy.  Scottish banks would, I am sure, no longer be able to issue Sterling Currency. 

But this is totally different from the bald statements that Scotland would not be able to use Sterling. Of course they could - as some who have previosuly stated otherwise on here have now accepted as true. 

It would actually be in rUK's interest for and independent Scotland to continue to use Sterling as the amount of cross border trade means that minimising currency transactios would lessen the cost to rUK businesses and consumers.

PH

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Many Scots want "to get on with it" but are stymied by the undemocratic Westminster Government, supported by people like you who only believe in democracy when it suits them

PH

Support parliament? How do i support parliment?you know nothing about me.

2 minutes ago, kingdong said:

So am i against both ideas but thats the eu for you they,ve took the p** s out the uk since we joined,and as a lot of tvf don,t think too highly of boris perhaps he thinks soddit they leave lets teach them a lesson like he did to the tory remainers.

How pathetic.  Do as you are told or we will give yu a smack.

Is that how juvenile you think the PM is?

PH

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

They would indeed have no further input to monetary policy.  Scottish banks would, I am sure, no longer be able to issue Sterling Currency. 

But this is totally different from the bald statements that Scotland would not be able to use Sterling. Of course they could - as some who have previosuly stated otherwise on here have now accepted as true. 

It would actually be in rUK's interest for and independent Scotland to continue to use Sterling as the amount of cross border trade means that minimising currency transactios would lessen the cost to rUK businesses and consumers.

PH

I explained the monetary system,i,m not being drawn into a repititious exchange so wish you a good night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

I didn't say you supported parliament. I said democracy. 

I do know several things about you actually.

PH

You said" supported by people like you" and all i know about you is you do more twisting than chubby checker.i wouldn,t waste your time answering this as far as i,m concerned the subject is closed.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, kingdong said:

They,ve already had a vote,or do you feel they must keep having elections till they get it right,? anyway why don,t the eu member states get an election on the subject?

Another vote because the situation has changed. And all indications are that the Scots want to break away.

Since when do the EU states have any say on Scottish independence?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, kingdong said:

You said" supported by people like you" and all i know about you is you do more twisting than chubby checker.i wouldn,t waste your time answering this as far as i,m concerned the subject is closed.

You are correct, you are wasting your time. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, neytil said:

Hopefully the new flag will have the national animal, the Haggis on it.  I have heard it is a small animal native to Scotland, a bit like the ostrich. Because the habitat of the haggis in exclusively mountainous, and because it is always found on the sides of Scottish mountains, it has evolved a rather strange gait. The poor thing has only three legs, and each leg is a different length - the result of this is that when hunting haggis, you must get them on to a flat plain - then they are very easy to catch - they can only run round in circles.

Much as it pains me to admit it, Scotland's national animal is actually the unicorn.

256431608_scottishunicorn.jpg.bac94274c19ba58ad6d24c75357ef028.jpg

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Another vote because the situation has changed. And all indications are that the Scots want to break away.

Since when do the EU states have any say on Scottish independence?

But it hasn't changed. The UK's fishermen, including the Scottish ones, have still gotten the shaft.

18 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

They could of course continue to use UK banknotes; but as they would no longer be part of the UK they would not be able to issue them.

However you cut it, an independent Scotland using Sterling as it's currency will not control it's own monetary policy.

And not a single person advocating independence, or even a referendum, has said otherwise.

PH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

I did.  But nowhere did I mention Parliament.  You brought that into the exchange.

PH

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Oh, who would have thought it? The Nasty Party doesn't like the thought of us plebs participating in democracy. 

Scottish Tories urge Labour and the Lib Dems to boycott second independence referendum

I wouldn't pay much attention to what he has to say, every chance he will lose the seat in May.

He went to the same school as me although 30+ years apart. The SNP had over 5% increase in 2019 and just lost out by a few hundred votes,  every indication they will take the seat this time round. 

• Like 1

I find it amusing that the anti-english SNP cult and their fanatical  followers assume automatically that they would win an independance referendum. (which will not happen for another generation anyway)

Anyway, we are in the middle of a global pandemic of a killer virus, for which it will take years to recover from, and the SNP cult is stil banging on about independance. It's so unbelievable!

• Thanks 2