Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

So, if there is another vote and Scotland votes to leave the union it is not binding in any way because we can keep having referendums until they change their mind again.

Yea.....sounds about right.

After the UK voted for Brexit, Brexiters argued that it was binding. Doublethink much?

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

After the UK voted for Brexit, Brexiters argued that it was binding. Doublethink much?

Well, you tell me. Should referendums be binding in any way or are they just opinion polls ?

The poster I quoted suggested there is nothing wrong with repeated opinion polls since they are part of democracy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Well, you tell me. Should referendums be binding in any way or are they just opinion polls ?

The poster I quoted suggested there is nothing wrong with repeated opinion polls since they are part of democracy.

Well, according to Brexiters the UK situation is now changed hugely because of Brexit. So given that huge change, the Scots should be allowed another vote since the UK they voted to remain in was part of the EU.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, according to Brexiters the UK situation is now changed hugely because of Brexit. So given that huge change, the Scots should be allowed another vote since the UK they voted to remain in was part of the EU.

Personally , I think that since the issue affects all members of the union any new referendum should involve English and Welsh voters too. The new referendum should be on devolution of the union and independence for all its member states.

The states that then leave can re apply to join Europe as independent countries , create their own currencies etc etc.

There would have to be a certain transition period whilst hard borders are erected to control the flow of goods and people and then that would be the end of it.

Again , personally I am a remainer and pro Scottish and Welsh independence but not rabidly so since i have lived in Thailand most of my life and local politics are more relevant to me that those of the United Kingdom.

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

And there is the elephant in the corner of the debating chamber; currency. True independence as a country requires one's own currency. If you don't have one you are not independent - it is that fundemental; if you do not control your own currency you do not control your economic or fiscal policies.  The Scottish Nationalists will not declare a policy on the currency an independent Scotland will use. Without such a policy it is pure "pie in the sky politicking" - Brigadoon on steroids!

There is no policy statement because there is no independence campaign underway. There are proposals being worked which will, I assume, be settled upon then incorporated into some policy document. 

What does 'Brigadoon on steroids" actually mean? I think Gorgeous George has said it on a few occasions but is there actually anything remotely meaningful in it, or is it just a pathetic attempt to paint independence as simply a foible of the less sophisticated Highlander? 

• Like 2

If the farce that was Brexit can teach us anything, it must be that dissolving a union is not simple, and that the relationship post dissolution needs to be carefully considered and defined.

I am not in favour of referendums, but if there is a Scottish referendum and if there is a vote for independence, then imo there should also be a subsequent referendum on the nature of the separation.

As an Englishman with no direct connections with Scotland, I don't expect a say in whether Scotland should adopt a completely independent national identity. However, I do expect a say in the terms of any separation as these terms will likely affect me. Normally I would expect the elected (Westminster) government to represent the views of the English/ Welsh and NI electorate, however the Brexit process clearly showed that separation means an almost incalculable amount of different things to different people. Hence, imo there would be a need to have a second referendum in England/ Wales and NI on the terms of any separation. Not so much 'two wrongs make a right' as 'two wrongs (referendums) make a less wrong'. Scotland would, of course, be free to organise a separate referendum on the terms.

Might this give die-hard unionists in England, Wales and NI an opportunity to scupper the implementation of a Scottish 'Leave' vote? Yes, it might. What happens if Scotland votes in favour of the terms and England/ Wales and NI do not? I don't know but it would be problematic.

As I suggested at the start, if Brexit has highlighted one thing, it's that dissolving an economic and/or political union is not easy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

And there is the elephant in the corner of the debating chamber; currency. True independence as a country requires one's own currency. If you don't have one you are not independent - it is that fundemental; if you do not control your own currency you do not control your economic or fiscal policies.  The Scottish Nationalists will not declare a policy on the currency an independent Scotland will use. Without such a policy it is pure "pie in the sky politicking" - Brigadoon on steroids!

More than half (57%) of No voters said the pound was one of the most important factors in their decision

Finally, for how long do Scottish voters think the question of independence will remain settled? A majority of those who voted No said they thought the issue was now resolved for at least a generation (28%) or forever (25%).

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/09/scotland-voted/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangyai said:

Well....in the end, after much haggling they would end up with the Euro.

Yes, but before they can join the Euro, wouldn't they have to show that they can manage their economy and fiscal policies, within the required parameters using their own currency.

A bit of a Caledonian catch 22!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Scotland was never in the EU, it was the UK that was in the EU, so Scotland could't re-join the EU because they were never in it. And they have about as much chance of joining the EU as me joining The Parachute Regt.

0700 outside the gym tomorrow, trousers LW, boots DMS, red PT vest.

CEFO with full water bottles.

P Coy starts then...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

There is no policy statement because there is no independence campaign underway. There are proposals being worked which will, I assume, be settled upon then incorporated into some policy document. 

What!!!???

I have no strong thoughts either way, if Scotland wants independence, then they should have it, but surely before any vote / referendum can be conducted, surely their must be a policy in place and one which details all aspects of how seperation will be made. Have we learned nothing from the fiasco of Brexit ?

16 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If Brexit taught us anything, it is that complex negotiations are difficult enough for a small group of people - throwing that open to a plebiscite is surely a recipe for disaster? Because let's face it, as Brexit or the PR referendum have shown us, the British electorate cannot be trusted to comprehend the full implications of what is presented to it, and vote rationally. 

I am confused. I thought that you favoured a referendum on independence? The sentiments here suggest otherwise.

16 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But in regards to your last sentence, the difficulty of a task should not be overlooked, but if the end goal is worth it, it should be no more than a factor for consideration. 

I doubt many people would disagree with your sentiment, but it doesn't offer any solutions to the issues I raised.

Just now, sidgy said:

What!!!???

I have no strong thoughts either way, if Scotland wants independence, then they should have it, but surely before any vote / referendum can be conducted, surely their must be a policy in place and one which details all aspects of how seperation will be made. Have we learned nothing from the fiasco of Brexit ?

You are 100% correct - but as there is no referendum proposed, there is no campaign underway for winning it. Once a referendum is slated, then the policy papers will be issued. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not downplaying the importance of crystal clear proposals being made available to the electorate, but at this point it would simply be an aspirational document.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RayC said:

I am confused. I thought that you favoured a referendum on independence? The sentiments here suggest otherwise.

Referenda are problematic - I think we can all agree on that, but a binary choice is much easier to present to the electorate than a complex, multi-layered package of options about the terms of a separation, which most of the electorate will likely not read, let alone understand. 

But don''t forget, not every country which seceded from the UK have used referenda to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Referenda are problematic - I think we can all agree on that, but a binary choice is much easier to present to the electorate than a complex, multi-layered package of options about the terms of a separation, which most of the electorate will likely not read, let alone understand. 

But don''t forget, not every country which seceded from the UK have used referenda to do so. 

But dont you think things should be super clear what they are voting for. I mean not make false promises just to get them to leave or stay. I mean why sink to the level of BJ and his ilk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1