Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, sharksy said:

Reminds of of when I crossed the Severn Bridge every day to work in Wales.  All the signs are in Welsh, followed by English.
Most of locals in South Wales can't read it either! 

And you decided for the welsh that they shouldnt have it?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

What are you talking about, I never mentioned Irish Gaelic. You have had a long day RR, you have played your part well, maybe you need to rest now.????????

Typical english, saying what others should do instead of letting then decide for themselves.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Scots are not renowned for being Gaelic speakers, 

Are you just stringing sentences together without actually thinking what they mean? You do know that Scots and Irish Gaelic are not the same language, don't you? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

What are you talking about, I never mentioned Irish Gaelic. You have had a long day RR, you have played your part well, maybe you need to rest now.????????

Sure, and it's felt a bit like shooting fish in a barrel at some points, but I am intrigued as to why you think that Scots are not renowned for speaking one of their native languages. My grandfather never learnt the foreign language of the neighbouring country until he was 10 - what do you think he was speaking up until then? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Sure, and it's felt a bit like shooting fish in a barrel at some points, but I am intrigued as to why you think that Scots are not renowned for speaking one of their native languages. My grandfather never learnt the foreign language of the neighbouring country until he was 10 - what do you think he was speaking up until then? 

22 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

1% of Scots speak Gaelic, if that is not enough evidence for you, book your Gaelic evening classes tout suite. Me, I have had enough of you playing the victim here. Goodbye. 

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

1% of Scots speak Gaelic, if that is not enough evidence for you, book your Gaelic evening classes tout suite. Me, I have had enough of you playing the victim here. Goodbye. 

Well of course scotland is the victim. England is dictating what they cannot do. That makes them victims.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yep, the English can take the moral high ground ????... I don't know how many times I heard anti-German (or in some cases anti-French sentiment) when I worked in London...

I still hear it in every brexit thread here on a regular basis.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sujo said:

Then let scotland decide if it wants to leave. Then you are happy.

It was not the English who gave permission for the Scottish to have their 'once-in-a-lifetime' independance referendum, it was the UK Government of the time. The nationalists lost by a big margin. They just can't seem to move on from their loss. It's sad I know.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yep, the English can take the moral high ground ????... I don't know how many times I heard anti-German (or in some cases anti-French sentiment) when I worked in London...

That's just banter. Personally, I think the Brits and the Germans are the most alike out of all the European countries, and as for the bloody French, they give us as much stick as we give them. 

7 hours ago, sharksy said:

38% Scots voted for Brexit.  That's not an insignificant number.
I voted for Brexit as I believed it would be for the good of Britain.  If I were being selfish, remain would have been better for me, as a landlord.  ALL of my properties for a few years were occupied exclusively by the Poles.  Just happened that way.

It is when compared to the 65% who voted to remain in the EU.

You were all warned voting to leave risked the UK breaking up. What is going on is what you voted for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RayC said:

I believe that examples were being sought of anti-English sentiment. No need to look any further.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Sujo is from a country other than Scotland. Is the SNP to blame for that too? 

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I may be wrong, but I believe that Sujo is from a country other than Scotland. Is the SNP to blame for that too? 

I don't think that I've 'blamed' the SNP for anything.

I'm sure that you will agree that xenophobia should be deplored irrespective of which nation it is directed at.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

I still hear it in every brexit thread here on a regular basis.

There is no moral high ground or use in indulging in 'whataboutery': Xenophobic comments are xenophobic comments regardless of the target.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RayC said:

I don't think that I've 'blamed' the SNP for anything.

I'm sure that you will agree that xenophobia should be deplored irrespective of which nation it is directed at.

Examples were sought of anti English sentiment issued by the Scottish government. 

You have tried to use the words of a third party to insinuate that the claims by NiceGuyEddy are, in fact, not lies. 

As it stands, NiceGuy has had multiple opportunities to back up his claim and has run away every time. I think that speaks volumes. 

I fully agree with you about xenophobia being reprehensible. It was one of the many ugly sides of Brexit that brought so much shame to our islands. That, I believe, is one of the reasons there is so much antipathy towards the English from people of other countries. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

It is when compared to the 65% who voted to remain in the EU.

You were all warned voting to leave risked the UK breaking up. What is going on is what you voted for.

Maths clear isn't your strong point. 65 + 38 is 103.

The figure you are looking for is 62%.

The UK won't break up just because the Scots decide to isolate themselves for a decade. Many Brexiteers would see the Scots leaving the UK as another plus point of Brexit. If you wish to isolate yourselves by coming out of the UK and having no trade deal with your 2 largest trading partners (UK and EU) whilst having monetary policy dictated to you by the Bank of England, that's Scotland's problem not the UK's. Go for it. I'll get the popcorn.

You know what you're voting for.????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The UK won't break up just because the Scots decide to isolate themselves for a decade. Many Brexiteers would see the Scots leaving the UK as another plus point of Brexit. If you wish to isolate yourselves by coming out of the UK and having no trade deal with your 2 largest trading partners (UK and EU) whilst having monetary policy dictated to you by the Bank of England, that's Scotland's problem not the UK's. Go for it. I'll get the popcorn.

Can you describe how monetary policy will change after independence? How does the inclusion of Scotland within the UK currently impact monetary policy? What particular features of current monetary policy can you point to and say, "that is there specifically to benefit the interests of Scotland"?

I am sure that the EU will be more than happy to assist Scotland in achieving a trade deal. You should be more concerned about the loss of England's 3rd largest market. How will you absorb that loss?

Don't worry about us - we will be just fine. It is the downward, isolationist trajectory that the rabid right is taking your country that should raise alarm bells with you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, snoop1130 said:

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who would have to agree to a new referendum, has said there is no need for a new vote after independence was rejected by Scottish voters in 2014.

If the party that everyone knows will push for independance is moving towards a record majority, then I think it´s time for Boris to reconsider. Don´t take it so hard Boris! Just see it as a country that wish to leave the ship before it sunk.

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Will not be your problem though will it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Independent while using the GBP with the Bank of England setting your monetary policy? Independent while begging the EU to let you into their club as an insignificant minnow of 28? Not exactly Braveheart is it?

Yeah I'm sure the EU will be more than happy to take advantage of your utter desperation to give you a lop sided trade deal that involved handing over control of most of your resources to them. Might take 5 years to finalize though. They certainly won't be in any rush or doing you any favours that's for sure  - the Spanish wouldn't allow that, it would encourage the Catalans.

I'm not worried about you. Far from it. I would find it highly amusing but I'd feel bad for the Scots who wanted to remain in the UK, which lest you forget were 55% of those who voted in 2014.

In the same way you feel bad about the 48% of voted against brexit?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Will not be your problem though will it.

Absolutely right. The problem will be all Scotland's. I'll simply be chuckling from the sidelines at the stupidity of it all.

Scotland with no more subsidies from Westminster. No trade deals. Isolated in the north sea for a decade.

Still, you know what you're voting for.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

In the same way you feel bad about the 48% of voted against brexit?

Absolutely. Losing is never fun.

I'd probably feel more sympathy had they offered losers consent instead of trying to run roughshod over Democracy though.