"Snowbird-the practical experiences"

Beanfarmer05

Good morning everyone, 

The topic of retiring to Thailand is a popular and reoccurring one so I want to create discussion on something partly related.

Does anyone on here spend their winter months in thailand/se asia and if so how do they find the practicalities of doing so. Particularly relevant to the Europeans and north Americans who have horrible winters.

Me personally I am from the UK,now 40 and work in a job I enjoy and hoping to retire at 55. I live in a quiet village in south west England and from Wales originally. I am realistic in that the UK has its issues(where doesnt) but I still enjoy it here, particularly with so many places to visit in Europe being 1 to 2 hrs short hop on a plane. So I cant see myself permanently retiring to Thailand. 

But I hate the gloomy winter months,lack of sunshine,damp and wet,the 17 to 18hrs of darkness. I do honestly believe I have the SAD disorder as I've grown older. 

I usually spend 6 to 7 weeks of holiday leave in Jan and Feb in Asia,most of that in Thailand. This is the first year in 6 years I havent been able to do that due to covid. So I'm asking, does anyone spend 2 to 3 months every year escaping the winter in their homeland, when do they leave and return, and what do you find is good about this and are there any drawbacks?

All advice is gratefully received 

Cheers and stay safe 

I started here as a part timer but that was a long time ago.

Many many people have done the snowbird thing here (Scandanavians and Russians are really big on that) but because of Covid it's become much more of a hassle visa-wise.

So any advise you might get needs to take the current reality into account.

If you're looking for a warm climate country with much less of a visa hassle for part time stays (up to six months) may I suggest Mexico (yes, there are safe areas there).