Jump to content

Is this insect poisonous?


Recommended Posts

"Nairobi fly" for those that has been through Africa. They leave a line of bubble blisters or rash as their toxins spread over the skin usually because people slap and smear them. Mostly below the eye, neck, mouth and around the ears. I had them under the armpits as they crawl up my short sleeves and on my head as they got caught in my long hair. We actually had an emergency procedure put in place as how to deal with them during night shifts. Toothpaste was the best known ointment available in bulk at that time we could distribute to the workforce.

 

They tend to like fluorescent lights, bug spray do not kill them and body mosquito repellent actually draws them in.

 

Never saw one in Asia so far though.

Edited by douglasspade
crappy spelling!
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

seems 2 Votes in the same direction! 

 

Nairobi fly is the common name for two species of rove beetle in the genus Paederus, native to East Africa. The beetles contain a corrosive substance known as pederin, which can cause chemical burns if it comes into contact with skin

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

curtains don;t bite, just like Rove beetles don;t actually bite...

 

it is the toxin in their blood if you touch/squash/swipe/ bump them - much the same as many millipedes that have toxins on their surfaces if you were to handle them

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh lord what should I do.... 

 

IT seems some dude living on 30th floor bkk condo got this fuka coming up!! 

Seems they don't come stinging, but gotta wash them juices with soapy once in Contact and

steroid cream (Fucicort) and some oral antihistamine. 

I'm gonna stack them tomorrow man

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tifino said:

curtains don;t bite, just like Rove beetles don;t actually bite...

 

it is the toxin in their blood if you touch/squash/swipe/ bump them - much the same as many millipedes that have toxins on their surfaces if you were to handle them

If i spot them just chilling on the glass window, it's no worries as they won't come after me? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, douglasspade said:

They leave a line of bubble blisters or rash as their toxins spread over the skin usually because people slap and smear them. Mostly below the eye, neck, mouth and around the ears. I had them under the armpits as they crawl up my short sleeves and on my head as they got caught in my long hair. We actually had an emergency procedure put in place as how to deal with them during night shifts. Toothpaste was the best known ointment available in bulk at that time we could distribute to the workforce.

 

They tend to like fluorescent lights, bug spray do not kill them and body mosquito repellent actually draws them in.

Sounds like the ALIEN of insects O_o

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

If i spot them just chilling on the glass window, it's no worries as they won't come after me? 

 

if you do go near them, then have a Vacuum hose in your hand... in that way they'll instantly become out of sight out of mind

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tifino said:

curtains don;t bite, just like Rove beetles don;t actually bite...

 

If they land on my smelly wrinkled raisin skin, should I just shake my azz for this Lil beast to fly off? 

As they don't bite or sting like mosquitoes. 

 

Is there ways to deter this monster? 

I've only seen one sofar. 

I'm on a 15th floor condo, open space, no cluster of buildings. 

Have some gardening plants. 

I smoke on the balcony. 

 

That electric mosquito killer tennis racket shouldn't be used? I'm guessing their juice will pop up everywhere in wonders

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

... well there is no data exactly dealing on whether their smoking burning embers & smoke trail is toxic... but a zapper would handy but!

 

 

anyhows if they land on you, I still reckon the active pipe nozzle of an operating vacuum cleaner would my No1 tool

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I get them in my Bangkok condo and got a rash by one before that crawled on me and got agitated.

They can fly but quite clumsily, like their body is hanging down as if it's too heavy for their little wings.

I kill them as soon as I see one now.  last 2 months seemed to be the season.

IMG_1557.JPG

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...