Is this insect poisonous?

villageidiotY2K

"Nairobi fly" for those that has been through Africa. They leave a line of bubble blisters or rash as their toxins spread over the skin usually because people slap and smear them. Mostly below the eye, neck, mouth and around the ears. I had them under the armpits as they crawl up my short sleeves and on my head as they got caught in my long hair. We actually had an emergency procedure put in place as how to deal with them during night shifts. Toothpaste was the best known ointment available in bulk at that time we could distribute to the workforce.

They tend to like fluorescent lights, bug spray do not kill them and body mosquito repellent actually draws them in.

Never saw one in Asia so far though.

Edited by douglasspade
crappy spelling!
  • Like 1

seems 2 Votes in the same direction! 

Nairobi fly is the common name for two species of rove beetle in the genus Paederus, native to East Africa. The beetles contain a corrosive substance known as pederin, which can cause chemical burns if it comes into contact with skin

curtains don;t bite, just like Rove beetles don;t actually bite...

it is the toxin in their blood if you touch/squash/swipe/ bump them - much the same as many millipedes that have toxins on their surfaces if you were to handle them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tifino said:

it is the toxin in their blood if you touch/squash/swipe/ bump them - much the same as many millipedes that have toxins on their surfaces if you were to handle them

If i spot them just chilling on the glass window, it's no worries as they won't come after me? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, douglasspade said:

They leave a line of bubble blisters or rash as their toxins spread over the skin usually because people slap and smear them. Mostly below the eye, neck, mouth and around the ears. I had them under the armpits as they crawl up my short sleeves and on my head as they got caught in my long hair. We actually had an emergency procedure put in place as how to deal with them during night shifts. Toothpaste was the best known ointment available in bulk at that time we could distribute to the workforce.

They tend to like fluorescent lights, bug spray do not kill them and body mosquito repellent actually draws them in.

Sounds like the ALIEN of insects O_o

11 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

If i spot them just chilling on the glass window, it's no worries as they won't come after me? 

if you do go near them, then have a Vacuum hose in your hand... in that way they'll instantly become out of sight out of mind

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tifino said:

If they land on my smelly wrinkled raisin skin, should I just shake my azz for this Lil beast to fly off? 

As they don't bite or sting like mosquitoes. 

Is there ways to deter this monster? 

I've only seen one sofar. 

I'm on a 15th floor condo, open space, no cluster of buildings. 

Have some gardening plants. 

I smoke on the balcony. 

That electric mosquito killer tennis racket shouldn't be used? I'm guessing their juice will pop up everywhere in wonders

... well there is no data exactly dealing on whether their smoking burning embers & smoke trail is toxic... but a zapper would handy but!

anyhows if they land on you, I still reckon the active pipe nozzle of an operating vacuum cleaner would my No1 tool

• Like 1

I get them in my Bangkok condo and got a rash by one before that crawled on me and got agitated.

They can fly but quite clumsily, like their body is hanging down as if it's too heavy for their little wings.

I kill them as soon as I see one now.  last 2 months seemed to be the season.

IMG_1557.JPG

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, tifino said:

well, it seems to be a Rove Beetle 

Paederus dermatitis - Wikiwand

some data:

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/Pages/rove-beetles.aspx

some detail...

"

How can rove beetles affect humans?

Rove beetles do not bite or sting but their blood contains a strong toxin called pederin that can cause skin and eye irritations

If you crush the beetle the toxin is released and absorbed by your skin. The beetle can be crushed if you swat it like a fly or mosquito or if it collides with you at speed (such as bare skin on a motorbike) and can cause conjunctivitis, severe dermatitis (rash) and serious skin irritation.

Initial symptoms include reddening of the skin, and a 'burning' sensation. This is followed by painful irritation and itching, with extensive pustules and blistering of the skin after 4 days.

The affected areas remain irritated, blistered and sore for 10 days. Toxin on the hands, or exposure near body joints, can spread toxin to other areas of the body and to others.

What ever you do , dont touch them. They dont bite but on their body they have pretty nasty chemical, you wouldnt like.

Long time ago i put a Thai warning movie on TVF about that rover, got it from my wife. You can see the effect of that animal on skin.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1111246-animals-in-thailand-little-mean-rove-beetles/

20 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Oh lord what should I do.... 

IT seems some dude living on 30th floor bkk condo got this fuka coming up!! 

Seems they don't come stinging, but gotta wash them juices with soapy once in Contact and

steroid cream (Fucicort) and some oral antihistamine. 

I'm gonna stack them tomorrow man

I think you need to adjust your medication

• Haha 1

adding both Flyspray + Fire - was something I've already put up on another old thread a year+ ago

I called it Aerogard and a match - and it was about eliminating a cockroach.

When you cop a bug that simply laughs at average joe blo flyspray, they do find out they can't do much without legs 

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

adding both Flyspray + Fire - was something I've already put up on another old thread a year+ ago

I called it Aerogard and a match - and it was about eliminating a cockroach.

When you cop a bug that simply laughs at average joe blo flyspray, they do find out they can't do much without legs 

... but back to the point in question;  flyspray ruins curtains 

• Haha 1

These beetles produce a vesicant (blister agent similar to mustard agents) that can be quite nasty. I think this one produces pederin and some others in Thailand produce cantharadin. i got hit with one on my helmet while driving some years back. Didn't know what it was and it doesn't hurt for 12-36 hours. The next day I had some nasty blisters down the side of my face along the chin strap. 

Well just kill it. Squash it with a tissue paper or with the bare fingers. Just wash your hands with soap after that. No problem.

The skin on the fingers is quite strong, so no problem. But still wash your hands.

You can also use the electric tennis zaper, kills them instantly.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:25 PM, villageidiotY2K said:

Be afraid, be very afraid. They are waiting for you to be at your most vulnerable. Stay fully clothed, and under no circumstances bring a bar girl to your abode until they have been dealt with.