How to get started: visa exception to Education Visa ?

On 1/16/2021 at 1:25 PM, cerox said:

Thats all great guys.

But whether they will really accept it after being in the open from ASQ to the airport, lets see. This is Thailand, I cannot rely on not having to do self-isolation. There is no such thing as a "fact" in Thailand.

I hope youre right. I have seen that confirmation for Phuket, not for Chiang Mai.

I'm finishing quarantine in BKK in a few days. The asq prepares a form to take with you. So far I've found that if I have the correct paperwork, things go well. (usually) I also found it odd that being in the open in a normal taxi was ok, but they just laughed, said they'd phone one for me to the airport. I plan to do nothing but exit the cab & get on the plane. I'll ask the asq if it's ok to stop at an atm, but unless they say it's fine, I won't do it.  Hope this helps.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

This is extremely hard to fathom...If the Thais are dishing out visas on the 29th, why can't I just get one like everybody else?  BUT: is there a MOE link to registered language schools?  Friends are doing their best to help, but it's slow going.  Any reliable unbroken links are appreciated!  Thanks.

I have seen a copy of a passport showing Chiang Mai accepting a application for a 60 day extension that was ending at the end of February with a under consideration stamp dated mid March.

I am sure you will be able to get a 60 day extension if needed after you apply for the allowed 30 day extension of your entry.

There is no info on the MOE website for registered schools that I am aware of.

This agent might be able to help. The page is for a 12 month self defense course but I think they also have normal language classes offered. https://chiangmaibuddy.com/visa-heaven/12-month-self-defence-ed-visa/

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen a copy of a passport showing Chiang Mai accepting a application for a 60 day extension that was ending at the end of February with a under consideration stamp dated mid March.

I am sure you will be able to get a 60 day extension if needed after you apply for the allowed 30 day extension of your entry.

This agent might be able to help. The page is for a 12 month self defense course but I think they also have normal language classes offered. https://chiangmaibuddy.com/visa-heaven/12-month-self-defence-ed-visa/

Thanks so much!  I'll get going on this today.  Especially important is the mention of the 60 day extension.  BTW.  I'm not sure that self defense study is part of a visa now, but I'd really enjoy it.   Thai language is certainly interesting!  I'm thankful. 

38 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

I'm not sure that self defense study is part of a visa now, but I'd really enjoy it.

Many people have already gotten non-ed visas and extensions for it. No different than studying muay thai and other martial arts training.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Many people have already gotten non-ed visas and extensions for it. No different than studying muay thai and other martial arts training.

Somehow I thought that martial arts visas weren't being given out.  How can I find out about them?  Thank you.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

I'm not real keen on lots of hands on stuff with the covid paranoia I've run into. But maybe the self defense schools are taking that into consideration?  Thank you for your opinion/advice.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:16 AM, Phillip9 said:

Yep, if the OP doesn't really want to study Thai, they should consider a volunteer visa.  Also, with the ED visa most provinces only allow you to stay up to one year from your date of original entry, so they will really only get 10 months beyond their normal extension.  There is no such limit with the volunteer visa, so they can get a full extra year.

What does a person need to do>, what kind of of volunteering? How do you meet such people?  Thank you.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, cubism001 said:

I'm convinced. How do I set about this?  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

What does a person need to do>, what kind of of volunteering? How do you meet such people?  Thank you

So many of the same questions in many threads from yourself. Just one example....I have answered this a couple of times to you alone.

An agent can obtain a non O based on volunteering. That gives 90 day permission of stay. You can also use the agent to obtain a 12 month extension based on volunteering.

All up it's possible to obtain 3+12 months.

You will do zero volunteering.

The cost previously was ~ 45-55k.

Most likely cheaper now especially with the 60 day covid extensions that appear to be ongoing until situation changes.

53 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
4 hours ago, onebir said:

if you try to contact the school via chiangmailocator, it works by sending an email; there's no link to the school site (presumably because cmlocator gets a cut)

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So many of the same questions in many threads from yourself. Just one example....I have answered this a couple of times to you alone.

An agent can obtain a non O based on volunteering. That gives 90 day permission of stay. You can also use the agent to obtain a 12 month extension based on volunteering.

Most likely cheaper now especially with the 60 day covid extensions that appear to be ongoing until situation changes.

The reason I ask questions repeatedly is because well-meaning people (like you) write that such a visa exists, but then don't give specifics.  This is the first time you have, and I thank you. E.g., you will do 0 volunteering.  I suppose the agent arranges all this.  BTW.  All these questions aren't just to annoy people. They really helped me make it out of the middle of the US, then to a SA country, then to quarantine in Thailand, now where I wanted to land.   No small feat nowadays. Thanks very much.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:59 PM, DrJack54 said:

Thank you for the specifics.  Most often people drop tantalizing bits of information like 'why don't you get a volunteer visa you fool?'  This requires asking a lot, in several places.

BTW, another source (I double check) swears that volunteer visas are illegal, processed by agents for large fees.  But I'll certainly consult an agent.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

Why do some experts say that only government schools, international schools & recognized universities (like CMU) are legally allowed to give an ED visa?  I found a school near me that does the visa paperwork & gives language classes. I'd like to do this.

13 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Why do some experts say that only government schools, international schools & recognized universities (like CMU) are legally allowed to give an ED visa? 

Because that is what the rules to apply for a 90 day non-ed visa entry states. As I have said before some schools can arrange to get them though.

13 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

I found a school near me that does the visa paperwork & gives language classes. I'd like to do this.

As above the have an arrangement with the Ministry of Education and/or Immigration.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Because that is what the rules to apply for a 90 day non-ed visa entry states. As I have said before some schools can arrange to get them though.

As above the have an arrangement with the Ministry of Education and/or Immigration.

Sorry for being so cautious.  Case closed.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, cubism001 said:

Why do some experts say that only government schools, international schools & recognized universities (like CMU) are legally allowed to give an ED visa?  I found a school near me that does the visa paperwork & gives language classes. I'd like to do this.

In practice, that means that you won't get a locally issued Non-Ed visa for studying at an informal school, unless the school has connections AND you are willing to pay an extra fee to entice the officials involved to give you the visa. Specifically, the official fee for a non-immigrant visa is 2,000 baht, but you will most likely be asked to pay something like 13,000 baht.

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

In practice, that means that you won't get a locally issued Non-Ed visa for studying at an informal school, unless the school has connections AND you are willing to pay an extra fee to entice the officials involved to give you the visa. Specifically, the official fee for a non-immigrant visa is 2,000 baht, but you will most likely be asked to pay something like 13,000 baht.

Thanks.  I had begun to figure that out, but all I really care about is if it lets me stay peacefully & legally in Thailand for a year.  I see no options for anything else for an ED visa.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:25 PM, oMega69 said:

Yep, if the OP doesn't really want to study Thai, they should consider a volunteer visa.  Also, with the ED visa most provinces only allow you to stay up to one year from your date of original entry, so they will really only get 10 months beyond their normal extension.  There is no such limit with the volunteer visa, so they can get a full extra year.

I wrote to an agent & the upshot is a visa that's much better than any I've considered.

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That is not correct, here are the rules: https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/03.pdf

As we can see there is even a section specific to the requirements if studying at a private institution.

Didn't they tighten the screws since the crisis began? And I believe the 13000 for the visa would not include tuition, which you pay even if not studying.  How else would the schools make money?  If you could get a long stay for 13000, there would be a line of trash packers from here to Romania.  Quite a few retirees pay that for extensions and actually meet the bank and age requirements. 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

That is not correct, here are the rules: https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/03.pdf

As we can see there is even a section specific to the requirements if studying at a private institution.

That could be a private university and etc.

This one prevents informal schools from normally being able to get them.

"6.2 A cooperation letter from the relevant department attached to the Ministry of Education or from the governor in the case of academic institute lower than university or from the office of educational service area for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)"

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Didn't they tighten the screws since the crisis began? And I believe the 13000 for the visa would not include tuition, which you pay even if not studying.  How else would the schools make money?  If you could get a long stay for 13000, there would be a line of trash packers from here to Romania.  Quite a few retirees pay that for extensions and actually meet the bank and age requirements. 

Yes, tuition is extra, and so are subsequent extensions of the initial visa at immigration.

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Yes, tuition is extra, and so are subsequent extensions of the initial visa at immigration.

I had no problem getting the normal 1900 baht extension for my ED visa obtained in country.  Schools generally encourage you to pay extra to let them handle the extension, but you should be able to do it yourself for the standard price.

4 hours ago, cubism001 said:

Thank you for the specifics.  Most often people drop tantalizing bits of information like 'why don't you get a volunteer visa you fool?'  This requires asking a lot, in several places.

BTW, another source (I double check) swears that volunteer visas are illegal, processed by agents for large fees.  But I'll certainly consult an agent.

Your source is absolutely wrong.

49 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I had no problem getting the normal 1900 baht extension for my ED visa obtained in country.  Schools generally encourage you to pay extra to let them handle the extension, but you should be able to do it yourself for the standard price.

What I meant was that the 13,000 baht for the initial Non-ED visa vs paying a similar amount to an agent for a retirement extension (as the poster I quoted wrote) don't result in the same length of stay. With the Non-ED visa, there's also tuition to pay, and subsequent extensions each 90 days (which could be at the official rate, as you said).

2 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

I'm older, so they said a one year retirement visa was better for me than a volunteer visa 

Sounds like good advice. If you're old enough (50+) to qualify for the retirement visa, the volunteer visa is a waste of money.

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Sounds like good advice. If you're old enough (50+) to qualify for the retirement visa, the volunteer visa is a waste of money.

It's lucky that I was advised to go to an agent to check out the volunteer visa though. Normally I avoiod all agents for anything. Really thankful

Archived