Options to back-up yahoo email (all folders)

prophet01

I now mostly use Outlook email accounts but for so many years have used, and continue to use, my Yahoo email account.

I've been meaning to attempt to back-up so many times but every time I start looking into it I get cold feet for some reason.

Any views on the best way to achieve this task would be most welcome.

8 hours ago, prophet01 said:

I now mostly use Outlook email accounts but for so many years have used, and continue to use, my Yahoo email account.

I've been meaning to attempt to back-up so many times but every time I start looking into it I get cold feet for some reason.

Any views on the best way to achieve this task would be most welcome.

Many roads to Rome I guess but you could install Mozilla Thunderbird email reader and download all your emails into it and then use Mozbackup to ... back it up.

Probably you must give your yahoo emails the unread status.

Come to think of it I do now recollect using Thunderbird to access my Yahoo emails many, many years ago.

As I use Outlook anyway I thought I'd see if Outlook could be used for the same purpos and I came across this.

Connect your Yahoo Mail account to Outlook to manage your emails

How to Set Up Yahoo Email on Microsoft Outlook

What do you think?

Edited by prophet01
because I can

5 minutes ago, prophet01 said:

Come to think of it I do now recollect using Thunderbird to access my Yahoo emails many, many years ago.

As I use Outlook anyway I thought I'd see if Outlook could be used for the same purpos and I came across this.

Connect your Yahoo Mail account to Outlook to manage your emails

What do you think?

You can add everything into Thunderbird, Outlook accounts and yahoo. It has even a build in feedreader if you want to use that. And then you can backup the whole lot ... I am doing this for several years already and works perfectly.

if you are using Outlook to read Yahoo emails you can just back up the PST folder that stores all the emails.

Probably even easier is to move the PST file to a sync folder like One drive, Dropbox etc and go into Outlook PST settings and find the new location. then it will automatically back itself up when its closed.

2 hours ago, prophet01 said:

Now that I know I can achieve this using Outlook do you think there is a particulalry compelling reason for using an additional piece of software as Thunderbird?

No of course not, but it's one of the roads to Rome to get your backup locally. ???? Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Well, that turned out to be painless. Done in a few minutes.

SImply got my Yahoo account to generate a password key, opend up Outlook which was waiting for the key, et voila, my Yahoo email account mailboxes and all subfolders appeared underneath my several Outlook acccount mailboxes in the mailbox pane.

The only other thing I had to do was to click on each mailbox and subfolder in turn for Outlook to download their respective emails.