Buying a house for your wife/ partner with protection

Is it possible to buy a house in your thai wife/partner's name, then at the same time rent the house back from your partner at a peppercorn rent for say 20 to 30 years?  That would cover you in the event your partner decided to kick you out or even if you have a trusted partner and they suddenly died then the family could not take the house from you whilst you had the rental contract in place.

Edited by cheynewalk
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I suggested to the woman who I live with that perhaps one day in the next couple of years we buy a house, she can then use it as collateral to mortgage it and the funds would come to me.

There would also be a 30 year fully registered, taxed and 'paid up' lease although this may interfere with the mortgage - this is where legal advice is essential.

Usufruct is much more complicated based on what I've read, I believe it involves purchasing land and then building a new building and some places outright refuse to issue them because 'they don't want to issue  usufruct to foreigners' - just the usual 'hate foreigners' routine by the local boss.

I would hire a good lawyer from a reputable firm in Bangkok to handle any affairs like this. There should be no link between some small town local lawyer and the local authorities who make any decisions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m waiting for BritMan to rock-up to this thread - this subject has got to be dog-whistle for him and those like him who believe every single relationship thats not rented is doomed to failure and financial ruin !!!! 

I think 50% of marriages in UK end in divorce, what's it here?  % of farang/Thai marriages would be interesting, I reckon more than 50%

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think 50% of marriages in UK end in divorce, what's it here?  % of farang/Thai marriages would be interesting, I reckon more than 50%

Every thread on TV on the topic ends up with all farang gushing how deliriously happy they are 

Based on that I have to say the divorce rate maybe 10% assuming posters weren't using a bit of load ????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Usrfruct or 30 year lease. 

And if you are married you are entitled to half of it when you sell, unlike in the feminist west where somehow “equality” means you get less than half.

if after 30 long years she does kick you out, you would probably happy anyway.
Get a new one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Every thread on TV on the topic ends up with all farang gushing how deliriously happy they are 

Based on that I have to say the divorce rate maybe 10% assuming posters weren't using a bit of load ????

Bear in mind the Falang are probably unaware how happy the Thai lady really is

10 hours ago, cheynewalk said:

Is it possible to buy a house in your thai wife/partner's name, then at the same time rent the house back from your partner at a peppercorn rent for say 20 to 30 years?  That would cover you in the event your partner decided to kick you out or even if you have a trusted partner and they suddenly died then the family could not take the house from you whilst you had the rental contract in place.

By law, if your wife/partner buys a house (including the land of course) then the money for that purchase has to come solely from her savings, and proof that she has saved the money from her own efforts can be asked for if things turn a little "sticky".

Something to be aware of when going down this route.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why wouldn’t the family be in an area where there is good education for kids ?

This wouldn’t be making the assumption that every girl who marries a foreigner comes from some backwater deep in the countryside, would it?

Plenty of families come from Bangkok where there are excellent international schools. 

Chiang Mai and Phuket also have good international schools. 

I seems to me that most TV people live in the sticks

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AverageBloke said:

Find a woman who's already paying off a house or help  get a mortgage. If things are still going well in a few years time you can just pay the loan out and hopefully live happily ever after. 

Not so easy that. Have to fall out of love, go through all the rigmarole of searching for a new love, the courting process etc... Could take awhile.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1