Buying a house for your wife/ partner with protection

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

#1) Google is your friend

#2) Because I didn’t marry an ex-ho !!!!  - can’t speak for others !

#1 ... agree.

#2 ... you overstep. Neither did I but a usufruct protects the “foreigner” under Thai law which forbids owning land.

18 hours ago, cheynewalk said:

Is it possible to buy a house in your thai wife/partner's name, then at the same time rent the house back from your partner at a peppercorn rent for say 20 to 30 years?  That would cover you in the event your partner decided to kick you out or even if you have a trusted partner and they suddenly died then the family could not take the house from you whilst you had the rental contract in place.

After losing one home to a former thai partner my neighbor did exactly that.  He purchased the home which is in her name and then went to an attorney and drafted a rental agreement whereby he is allowed to stay.  I am not sure if it is for a term certain like 30 years or a life lease but one way or another, she can not sell the home without it being subject to the lease nor can she kick him out.  

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 2:40 AM, cheynewalk said:

What is usufruct? Is that a common practice in thailand? If so, why don't more expats cover themselves this way?

Google it. It gives you complete management of land, house etc till you kick the bucket, however, I hear some provinces don't like to do it, and especially around Pattaya. 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:15 AM, bkk6060 said:

If her desire is for a house, rent a nice one.

If she doesn't like it, find another girl plenty out there who don't have the "buy me a house" demands.

Does not always work out cheaper, would have paid more in rent over the past ten years that what our house cost

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Why wouldn’t the family be in an area where there is good education for kids ?

This wouldn’t be making the assumption that every girl who marries a foreigner comes from some backwater deep in the countryside, would it?

Plenty of families come from Bangkok where there are excellent international schools. 

Chiang Mai and Phuket also have good international schools. 

If you are having to front all the money then yes she is most likely destitute and doesn’t have much to offer . Get her to get a mortgage in her name and you front the payments . If she has a job that shouldn’t be a problem surely ? 

3 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

If you are having to front all the money then yes she is most likely destitute and doesn’t have much to offer . Get her to get a mortgage in her name and you front the payments . If she has a job that shouldn’t be a problem surely ? 

If, as you say, she’s destitute, its unlikely she’ll qualify for a mortgage...   

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If, as you say, she’s destitute, its unlikely she’ll qualify for a mortgage...   

I think you missed the point . If she can’t afford her own mortgage with you having to front the money to buy a house then she is as good as a backwater rice grower . I would absolutely never buy a house for cash and put it in someone else’s name . Only a fool would do that . No matter what her social status is . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Well yes of course its a bribe. In most cases the Thai lady is not with the fat old farang because she fancies him, she is with him out of necessity and the financial support he can give her and her family.

Why the hell would she waste her best years rolling around with some fatty mess who could never pull a bird in his home country, if she is not going to get something out of the arrangement.

Mine is different 

• Haha 2

I bought my house 13 years ago (or at least the company that owned the house).   After a few years (about 3 from recollection) I became tired of paying annual accountants and other fees for the company so my wife resigned as a director of the company, the house was transferred to her and at the very same time in the Land Office, the house was leased to me for 30 years at a pepporcorn rent (i.e. below the amount for which she would be liable for income tax).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, petermik said:

Maybe she has genuine feelings for him,ever thought about that,it does happen even over here.....don,t use your experiences as a benchmark for others....:whistling:

I am sure some do, but i dont think many women the world over want to literally live their whole life renting and never build up any security or assets. I know i would not, and i know most men here have bought assets, yet somehow Thai women should be happy with just living day to day, with the man free to up and leave whenever they like leaving them nothing.

Thats why its an arrangement. The man gets to hump  a women of the caliber of looks and body wise he would never have a cat and hells chance of in his home country, and as a reward for this largely unpleasant task, the lady expects some security and assets for her time, otherwise i can see why they would move on. It makes no sense not to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

The thing is, this was all done amicably. All persons involved wife and family, lawyers, bureaucrats are fully aware that I, a foreigner, cannot own Thailand land. They also know I, as a foreigner, need protection of my money (a house is a considerable sum). And, they all were straight forward, and, a Usufruct is the method used in Nonthaburi to protect my asset. Consider a loophole.

I recommend to have a look at this section in the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code:

Section 1469.  Any agreement (post-nuptial) concluded between husband and wife during marriage may be avoided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith are not affected thereby.

The usufruct with your wife is worthless. You paid 50k THB for nothing and were most likely just given wrong information by your lawyers so that you pay them.

Your wife can just declare the usufruct void and kick you out of the house any time she wants.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Your wife can just declare the usufruct void and kick you out of the house any time she wants.

Well there armchair foreign thai attorney jackdd, I thank you for your professional legal opinion. Now, If you will just provide me with a copy of your Thai Legal License I will give your opinion all of the attention it deserves. ???? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you are married already a usufruct is worthless.

The best solution is to let her buy the house in her name with a mortage, and you can help to pay the monthly rates like you would pay rent somewhere else.

Not if the usufruct is done between the NOW LAND owner and you.

The only thing useless is a usufruct between YOU and YOUR WIFE, as contracts between married couples are meaningless.

But a contract between an unrelated third party landowner and you will survive a divorce.

Another useful tool besides the usufruct is a superficies (right to own buildings). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Well there armchair foreign thai attorney jackdd, I thank you for your professional legal opinion. Now, If you will just provide me with a copy of your Thai Legal License I will give your opinion all of the attention it deserves. ???? 

He is correct, but the usufruct does not need to be between u and your wife.

Contracts in a Thai marriage

'Any agreement concluded between husband and wife during marriage may be avoided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith is not affected thereby'.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/thai-marriage-and-contracts-between-husband-and-wife.html#:~:text=Contracts in a Thai marriage&text='Any agreement concluded between husband,faith is not affected thereby'.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I presented you with a fact backed by a reference, not with an opinion.

You are of course free to ignore it and continue to believe your usufruct is worth anything.

But maybe other people here would like to be informed about such facts before being taken out.

He’s too busy listening to legal advise that was most likely a degree that was bought . 

• Haha 1