Biden to unveil plan to pump $1.9 trillion into pandemic-hit economy

webfact

10 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

We'll have to see what biden does, go through with this plan right away, or have Trump's trial right away.  Can't do both at the same time.

Why not?

Not everybody in the incoming administration will be working on Biden's budget plan, and Biden has said that it is for the AG and the justice department to deal with. He also said that he would not interfere in the case at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nout said:

A succinct summary of leftist savagery..'ripping and tearing' the democratically elected leader....using 'attack dogs'...I find this language deplorable but leftists lap it up. Only a political illiterate can not see the fascist undertones to such views and such language.

You must have had serious problems with Trump's rhetoric over the last 4 years.

BTW. Where does the word "tearing" appear in my post? Fuelling your own fantasy? 555

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

We'll have to see what biden does, go through with this plan right away, or have Trump's trial right away.  Can't do both at the same time.

Yes, they can, and have already stated they will. 

If someone remains silent, they can't give away how silly they are.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

joseph is the Big Cheese, the Big Kahuna, head of the Dems.  Don't underestimate him. He wields a lot of power. Also, he stared down Corn Pop if you recall.

But what you claimed in the context of the Senate trial is that he's running the show. No he's not.

• Like 1

Biden wants to make Fed Min wage $15.00/hr.

In the 70's & 80's min wage wasn't meant to be a wage for family provider. It was for high school kids and bored housewives. Back then most big Co. jobs started at least double Min wage. 

What happens to the worker who has worked years at a Co to hit $15.00/hr and all of a sudden any new hire is making the same. What happens to that worker? Will he get a raise to $20/hr? Probably not. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/biden-s-15-minimum-wage-plan-here-s-who-it-might-help-and-hurt/ar-BB1b3tjK

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I wish Joe Biden the best of luck, and he is going to need it all.

The President of America, is the country's leader, and not a leader of a

group of people within the country of USA, or a leader of a mob, such as

The Donald become.  Just thought I would add that gem of information.

Geezer

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J Town said:

Let's put an end to all this "just print trillion$" nonsense. I'll bet no one reading this will have their taxes raised, you're just not in that tax bracket. If you were, you wouldn't be here on this forum. To those in the upper upper bracket, their anuses are puckering tight cuz the criminal tax breaks they got from the loser-in-chief are going away and fast. THAT'S how these programs will be paid.

And the millionaires will still be millionaires, the billionaires will still be billionaires. There will just be a YUGE reduction in numbers of those in poverty, fewer will have to go bankrupt due to medical emergencies, folks working 40 hours/week will finally be able to afford rent AND food. It's just that simple.

Whatever Biden does will only have an effect at the margins. There needs to be a 91 percent top margin tax on income, as there was in the 1950s, when America enjoyed its greatest era of income equality and opportunity. Top margin should be anything over $400,000. But do not stop there. If you do, the weasels will get out of it. Tax assets, too, including the value of stocks at the end of the year. Also tax any item someone has insured for over $50,000. And make Bitcoin and the like illegal, as they are essentially a money laundering operation.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I wish Joe Biden the best of luck, and he is going to need it all.

The President of America, is the country's leader, and not a leader of a group of people within the country of USA, or a leader of a mob, such as The Donald become.  Just thought I would add that gem of information.

Geezer

And here's the difference between "them" and "us." When it became clear 45 had won the election, I girded my loins and hoped for the best. Within the first few month he proved what a monster he was (drain the swamp my a$$!). Some of "us" knitted p*ssy hats and peacefully demonstrated, but never was there a thought to terrorize the capitol!

If I were a betting man, I would put money down on certain Republican politicians being ejected for providing reconnaissance tours to the terrorists.

2016: We said "unify" they said "f*** your feelings!"

2020: We said "accountability" they said "unify?"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So just to be clear, folks who make over 400K are weasels.

No! Shame on you!! THAT'S the kind of silly thinking that screws us all. As I previously posted, tax the upper upper percenters. They currently pay ZERO taxes, and in too many cases get money back. As a result, the wealthiest country in the history of the planet has rampant starvation, crumbling infrastructure and is on the brink of civil war that doesn't have to be.

Stop listening to the lies broadcast on Fox/Newsmax/OAN, put down the confederate flag (they lost remember?) and evolve. It's going to happen eventually. When all is said and done, wouldn't you rather be on the right side of humanity?

• Like 1

Just now, John Drake said:

You have purposefully twisted what I said. The "weasels" are those who have no income but find ways to accumulate benefits and assets that go untaxed.  Jeff Bezos has an annual salary of $81,000. 

Take away the loop holes...absolutely. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Biden wants to make Fed Min wage $15.00/hr.

In the 70's & 80's min wage wasn't meant to be a wage for family provider. It was for high school kids and bored housewives. Back then most big Co. jobs started at least double Min wage. 

What happens to the worker who has worked years at a Co to hit $15.00/hr and all of a sudden any new hire is making the same. What happens to that worker? Will he get a raise to $20/hr? Probably not. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/biden-s-15-minimum-wage-plan-here-s-who-it-might-help-and-hurt/ar-BB1b3tjK

So a reason not to raise the minimum wage is because workers making that amount already will feel bad? 

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

My comments have all been laced with sarcasm.

Tax everyone's adjusted gross income the same with a flat tax of say 15%. if you specifically target the rich, when the taxes from the super rich run out, the target will get lower and lower until anyone who owns a house or has a bit of cash will be the new targets. 

How exactly will the taxes from the super rich run out? America used to have much more sharply graduated tax rates until about 1980 and there was reports that I know of about the wealthy running out of money.

Edited by placeholder

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

So a reason not to raise the minimum wage is because workers making that amount already will feel bad? 

I can tell you've never been an hourly wage earner, not that it's a bad thing. What I described above should be a concern if the Min wage is raised. It's sad that folks get locked into thinking a min wage job is all there is in life. Must be a soul crusher.

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Essentially raising the minimum wage almost 60% over a relatively short period of time as being proposed will have a more damaging effect than positive one to everyone except the companies and corporations with the largest profit margins (rare) 

And yes, a consideration should be made for the people in the workforce who’ve worked their way up to that pay rate, not just boom, $15 and F every everything else. 

A business with 4-5 employees in a rural area would go bust and nobody would have a job. That’s not a positive, that’s a loss. That’s the problem with the elites thinking about these issues in a country as vast and economically diverse as the USA. What might be sustainable in a wealthy area will not work in a rural one. 

But nobody seems to care about nuance and realities. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Essentially raising the minimum wage almost 60% over a relatively short period of time as being proposed will have a more damaging effect than positive one to everyone except the companies and corporations with the largest profit margins (rare) 

And yes, a consideration should be made for the people in the workforce who’ve worked their way up to that pay rate, not just boom, $15 and F every everything else. 

A business with 4-5 employees in a rural area would go bust and nobody would have a job. That’s not a positive, that’s a loss. That’s the problem with the elites thinking about these issues in a country as vast and economically diverse as the USA. What might be sustainable in a wealthy area will not work in a rural one. 

But nobody seems to care about nuance and realities. 

If the minimum wage were raised just to keep pace with inflation since the 60's it would be worth about $12 per hour. Lots of research has been done on raising the minimum wage. Overwhelmingly a raise shows little impact on unemployment. 

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

If the minimum wage were raised just to keep pace with inflation since the 60's it would be worth about $12 per hour. Lots of research has been done on raising the minimum wage. Overwhelmingly a raise shows little impact on unemployment. 

I never said “a raise” was bad. 

I said an almost 60% raise in a very short period of time, as is constantly proposed, is bad. 

You understand what I’m saying, right? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

I never said “a raise” was bad. 

I said an almost 60% raise in a very short period of time, as is constantly proposed, is bad. 

You understand what I’m saying, right? 

Well, I do like the way you claim "as is constantly proposed'. Most minimum wage proposals I've seen include graduated rises over time.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I can tell you've never been an hourly wage earner, not that it's a bad thing. What I described above should be a concern if the Min wage is raised. It's sad that folks get locked into thinking a min wage job is all there is in life. Must be a soul crusher.

Stop making things up. You know nothing about my personal history. I could claim that in fact I have worked for hourly wages but what would be the point? We are all anonymous here. Comments like yours reveal nothing useful about your targets. They do say plenty about your standards of reasoning, though.

As for staying in a minimum wage job. There is plenty of evidence to show that people do get stuck in them. Particularly those with low education levels.

No Way Out: How Prime-Age Workers Get Trapped in Minimum-Wage Jobs

https://www.cepr.net/documents/publications/labor_markets_2005_05.pdf?

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, I do like the way you claim "as is constantly proposed'. Most minimum wage proposals I've seen include graduated rises over time.

Biden’s plan isn’t very graduated. The very subject of this thread. 

And if the economy is so “devastated” then how is forcing existing businesses to pay more when they are already on the cusp of failure in the first place? 

It just flat does not make economic sense, but it’ll never pass anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Biden’s plan isn’t very graduated. The very subject of this thread. 

And if the economy is so “devastated” then how is forcing existing businesses to pay more when they are already on the cusp of failure in the first place? 

It just flat does not make economic sense, but it’ll never pass anyway. 

Raising the minimum wage may not pass now, but not because it's an unpopular idea. We know that because even in red states where changing the laws is allowed by a popular vote, raising the minimum wage referenda has won every time since 1996 despite the opposition of Republican governors and Republican run legislatures.

https://ballotpedia.org/Minimum_wage_on_the_ballot

In this last election, the vote was 61% in favor in Florida.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Raising the minimum wage may not pass now, but not because it's an unpopular idea. We know that because even in red states where changing the laws is allowed by a popular vote, raising the minimum wage referenda has won every time since 1996 despite the opposition of Republican governors and Republican run legislatures.

https://ballotpedia.org/Minimum_wage_on_the_ballot

In this last election, the vote was 61% in favor in Florida.  

Florida also never really shutdown and their economy isn’t “devastated” (much to the mockery of the American left, who’s eating crow now) so if you want to make the argument that it should be up to states and their electorate, then by all means, I’m right there with you, but that’s an entirely different argument altogether.