friend from Pattaya needs to pick me up from Suvarnabhumi airport

n210mp

On 1/15/2021 at 8:56 AM, n210mp said:

Will he need to  get any special permissions from the district office

I went on Fri to my district office (not Pattaya), all forms are still only in Thai, nobody there spoke english, lucky for me wifey was in tow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I went on Fri to my district office (not Pattaya), all forms are still only in Thai, nobody there spoke english, lucky for me wifey was in tow.

Were you so noble as to tip her the translation fee?? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Don't get upset, as churches are closed nothing else to do on Sunday morning.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:????

14 hours ago, Susco said:

No check point there, and no tents, then how you call these.  They were there 1 week ago, and they were there today, so I doubt they removed them on the 14th for 1 day.

And yes there also were tables with policemen sitting at them, to check documents if needed

I stand corrected but won't be an <deleted> about it. I checked my GoPro videos from that day (a couple of times) and sure enough, as I whipped past that area (outbound) you can make out the tent over the Inbound lanes. Obviously I wasn't paying close enough attention to the other side of the highway and was expecting a checkpoint to be looking at people leaving, not entering, the city. 
It's kind of late to be checking people at that point if they've come from outside the province.
I did return on the Railway bypass road (which one could use to go around that checkpoint on Sukhumvit) and there were no checkpoints anywhere from highway 36 to the Boonsamphan intersection.
Kind of makes that one on Sukhumvit kind of a waste of time really.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:20 AM, Nout said:

For the OP. Swampy is a nickname used by 3 or 4 people. It refers to a time, about 15 years ago, when people wished the airport to fail and envisaged it being invaded by snakes from nearby swamps. The airport, like so many successful construction projects, was completed under the guidance of the democratically elected leader Taksin thus another reason to mock it for people who support the military regime. BUT.. There is a VIP bus running regularly from the International Airport to Pattaya/ Jomtien and it terminates near the junction of Thapraya Rd and Threpasit Rd...a convenient place for your friends to meet you. When  you arrive I hope you have a good time but do yourself a favor. Don't refer to SuvanapoonI International Airport as 'swampy'...nobody else does.

Note: I note your sensitivity to the nickname. I am sure you remember that the runways had to be redone because of problems due to sinking. If you are not aware of this fact, please research the matter. Suvarnabhumi is the usually accepted spelling. I am not a red shirt, a yellow shirt, or a blue shirt. But I am aware of facts. Ooops!

Thanks for not throwing hate on the messenger. My sensitivity, which I am sure you will be sensitive to, is being disparaged for stating facts.

BTW I took that bus in the past and they stacked luggage in front of the restroom door which was stressful to my kidneys. 555  I hope the OP's experience is different if he takes that bus.

14 hours ago, DekDaeng said:

'so I don't have to sit next to someone like me.'

You've got good taste!

My understanding is that this bus service has been suspended...not sure about from Rung Roung service from North Road Station. The Ekkamai bus is 3x per day at 9, 12 and 15:00.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:20 PM, Nout said:

For the OP. Swampy is a nickname used by 3 or 4 people. It refers to a time, about 15 years ago, when people wished the airport to fail and envisaged it being invaded by snakes from nearby swamps. The airport, like so many successful construction projects, was completed under the guidance of the democratically elected leader Taksin thus another reason to mock it for people who support the military regime. BUT.. There is a VIP bus running regularly from the International Airport to Pattaya/ Jomtien and it terminates near the junction of Thapraya Rd and Threpasit Rd...a convenient place for your friends to meet you. When  you arrive I hope you have a good time but do yourself a favor. Don't refer to SuvanapoonI International Airport as 'swampy'...nobody else does.

I will always refer to it as Swampy, better than that stupid name it has. May I also point out that that your spelling of it is

all wrong. another reason for calling it Swampy.

• Like 2