New 300 THB entry fee to help cover uninsured foreign tourists who fail to pay medical bills

webfact

"Travellers will need to pay it on each and every entry according to reports. Payment will likely be in the form of a stealth tax applied when someone purchases a flight to Thailand. "

So it is another Airport Tax aimed at people who arrive by air.

When you purchase a ticket it gives you the price,it also tells you airport taxes blah blah final total ! When travel Thailand always pay insurance before leaving for any hospital care i may or may not need at a cost of around £150 sterling ‘ does this mean i no longer need and can just have free care for 300 baht around £7.50 upon entry ???? I’m sure that 300 baht would cover a scrubbing brush and old pair of pjs if I’m lucky. Nice to see Thailand not lost its sense of humor - I’m sure those who work in government have run out of ink with the amount of rule changes in recent months ! 

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

How do they not pay is what I don't understand. 

What do these scum foreigners do just walk out when no ones looking. 

Can't pay at hospital, OK phone calls for help, while waiting put in a police cell. 

Right. Like they just say "Bill me." and walk out? Bill me where? This just doesn't sound right. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, noone223 said:

please tell me how to travel , you superior intelligent being.

Oh cool , I'm superior ????

Ok ok jokes aside.

I think people has the obligation to pay for their own travel insurance and not rely on other foreign people to chip in, if they travel without insurance.

I'm super happy i had my travel insurance in place, because the first time i visited Thailand i ended up at hospital on Samui.

Hospital, new hotel until ready to fly, new flight and business class home because i had to have my leg elevated.

Not cheap.

Maybe next time i should just ditch my insurance so you can pay for my adventures ????

Sorry if i sound a bit grumpy, but i just think we have to act responsible and that is to travel with insurances. 

• Like 1

Waffle,Waffle..! just another money grab,we'll take it off the tourists. Farangs aren't stupid and tourism will slowly fizzle out because of the Thai belief that 'Farangs' have fat wallets and wont notice.Let me tell you that there are many that will go to Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam etc. because they are sick and tired of getting ripped off by Thais and the double standards like a price for Thais and a bigger one for Tourists,that's called discrimination in all other countries or lets call a spade a spade 'Racism'..!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Now Thailand has followed suit with a similar scheme, which will see some of the revenue generated used to insure uninsured tourists.

I thought all tourists now entering Thailand had to have proof of comprehensive insurance, not just Covid cover?

This from my own experience here in Thailand. I have been traveling back and forth from the US for eleven years now and have made Thailand my permeant home for the past four years I have visited Srinagarind in Khon Kaen many time with hospital stays for sometimes three to four days and when discharged they wheel you down right to the check out and pay I also go monthly to see a dermatologist for the many skin problems I have, which has a minimal cost usually not over 400 baht.  I do agree that foreigners should have to pay but with the lack of tourism do to COVID is 300 baht enough?

22 minutes ago, Kenneth White said:

This from my own experience here in Thailand. I have been traveling back and forth from the US for eleven years now and have made Thailand my permeant home for the past four years I have visited Srinagarind in Khon Kaen many time with hospital stays for sometimes three to four days and when discharged they wheel you down right to the check out and pay I also go monthly to see a dermatologist for the many skin problems I have, which has a minimal cost usually not over 400 baht.  I do agree that foreigners should have to pay but with the lack of tourism do to COVID is 300 baht enough?

Only 34 baht out of the 300 goes allegedly to cover non paying tourist bills, the rest will end up being admin fees!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It's a great idea that should have been done a long time ago.

There's one unintended consequence: some people will assume they are insured so won't bother getting real insurance.  

It won't mean that you don't have to pay for treatment.  

Actually it will make most feel completely justified in not paying before leaving the country 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Aforek said:

People will have to show their passport, easy to see who is expat or tourist 

I fly domestically and internationally a lot and nobody sees my actual passport until I get to the check in counter well after when I bought the tickets.

17 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

Its quite ironic, as I mentioned in another post, after 2 freebies, I have to 1000 baht to enter Thailand with my main reason being, to go to Hospital where I pay cash for my treatment every time ! I also have letters stating my appointment, but that doesn't make any difference ... still have to Pay

Maybe you don't understand what the government means. They want to get money to pay for those who do leave without paying. Everyone must pay because of those bad apples. Believe me I seen topics about older retirees not able to pay hospital bills or young guys on motorbikes. They come to the health forum to ask advice how to negotiate about the price. They are left out with payment plans. If they then dont stick to them the hospital cant do a thing.

So instead of blaming Thais blame your fellow travelers who are so unwise not to insure themselves.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

How will that scheme distinguish between tourists and expats? It probably won't. Just as always.

How do other countries distinguish who pays government fees on air tickets?

If Thailand had just said they intended to bring fees more in line with other countries there would be no need for irrelevant speculation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Can't pay at hospital, OK phone calls for help, while waiting put in a police cell. 

Tourists not expats even though expats end up suffering the consequences.

most if not all of the hospital bills would be for emergency treatment which is given by hospitals in all countries before any consideration for payments.

people coming for elective surgery always prepay and the same for medical tourists. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I read in the BP yesterday that only 34b of the 300b is for the insurance the rest is for some type of tourist spot  improvements /maintenance kind of scheme scam which going by previous money distributions by this Govt. will be open to corruption and fraud.

Nah, most will go on Benz and BMW cars for the boys.

Thank you very big.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

will also be used as an insurance benefit for international travellers who fall sick or are injured on their trips to the kingdom are unable to pay for medical treatment.

How come I do not believe ONE word from all of this nonsense? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

One has to assume you have never been to a government hospital. You see a doctor then go and queue up at the cashier to pay the bill,nothing to stop you walking out the door.

Only pre arranged procedures are paid up front.

When I was taken into private hospital in Pattaya they took my passport pending payment but never seen or heard of that in a government hospital and I am registered at 5.

As a tax-payer, I won't be subsidising this. Why should I? I am not a tourist and have never used medical services in Thailand! I am also fully insured and pay social security.

Even if made to pay on arrival, I will recoup it either through my business or another means.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, pattjock said:

Good idea but should also then scrap all requirements for a compulsory insurance. If they lost around 400milj bat and have 40milj visitors (2019) all they need is a 10baht tax.

They estimate 10milj visitors in 2021 so 40baht should cover it and losses will be lower with less tourists.

20 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

How will that help when the fee - as mentioned in the article - is included in the air ticket price?

Maybe the Military Academies don't teach maths to a good standard. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

another money making rackett !!!!!

like yrs ago WE had to pay 500 baht to get out of thailand !!!

now it is is in the air ticket price

Do people ever check facts before posting on here? or is it just too tempting to blame Thailand for everything. .........That's rhetorical....

Most countries have a departure tax--England is one of the worst in the world. They tax you on where you are going!!  What that has to do with the airport--is anyone's guess. If your doing a 30 minute flight across the channel then $us16---going to Oz gives us up to $240 for taking off here.

Australia $us40 (1,200 baht)  was the reason given for Air Asia use of sub airports there instead of the main ones.

If any part of the 300 baht ($10) go to solving the problem of tourists  (with no money at all)  having accidents---and we will soon know when they start to return.

Then isn't that innovative?.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departure_tax

United Kingdom   Between $16 (band A, lowest class) and $240 (band D, any other class).

Varies according to the distance traveled and passenger class.

• Like 1